2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Camaro: my thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
That's not the issue, guys. The issue is, the thickness of the wheel - the actual part that you grip your hands around - is not "round". Think of gripping any normal steering wheel, or a set of handle bars - they're round. Now, picture gripping your hands around something that is shaped like an egg (oval). Then put it on an angle, like a ~45° - it's hard to explain, but when you sit in one and grab the wheel, you'll understand. It's almost as if it's too thick to get a good grip on (..... I know, I can hear the off-color jokes pouring in already .....) but it's also the SHAPE that is really odd. Maybe just me, but Andrew commented on it as well. Again, I personally prefer the feel of the steering wheel in a 4th-gen.

I bet some Dumb European car has the same steering wheel and thats what they modeled it after. Since its the American thing to be Un-American.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by super83Z
I bet some Dumb European car has the same steering wheel and thats what they modeled it after. Since its the American thing to be Un-American.
I think they were trying to mimic the one in the concept.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
I think they were trying to mimic the one in the concept.
Great, so who's the bone-head who designed it for the concept?! They really should have stuck with a "normal" wheel in that regard.

The steering wheels of the Camaros of the past and of Corvettes are REALLY nice to hang onto . For that matter, I just drove a new Malibu for the first time yesterday, and the steering wheel in it is far nicer to hang onto!? I know it's a silly detail, but like Andrew said earlier, the steering wheel is the one thing you touch with your hands the WHOLE TIME while driving, so it's kind of an important detail .
Old 03-23-2009, 12:19 PM

why is everyone complaining about the blind spot when after complaining about it they said they got used to it? its just like any car. your used to driving what you drive now and anythign is different after your every day car. it just takes getting used to.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:21 PM

This car absolutely MUST appeal to a broad range of people (including women) if it is going to be successful. That means it not only has to look good and run good, it has to FEEL good to potential buyers (ie...it has to fit them). As has been discussed here ad nauseum, gearheads that will overlook picky items (and I am one of them) are not going to buy enough to keep the line open.

Hopefully personal preferences will tend toward liking some of the little things these two didn't care for, and it is not the other way around.

I will say the visibility issue bothers me, as that was one of my main gripes with the 4th Gen T/A I had.

Thanks for the insight.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:03 PM

well either way people would still complain about something. if the blind spots were fied then they would say it looks stupid with such a large window in the rear or something dumb. just save your judgement for after you buy your car and your used to driving it. because i will guarantee you will be so used to it you wont remember what you were complaining about.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
... just save your judgement for after you buy your car and your used to driving it. because i will guarantee you will be so used to it you wont remember what you were complaining about.
I'm sorry, but I'm going to judge the car BEFORE I buy it and "get used to it".

Kind of think most folk judge their purchase prior to purchasing, but that's just my perception.

And as an FYI...I never did get used to the blind spots in the my 99 T/A. Perhaps I just suck at driving?
Old 03-23-2009, 01:16 PM

im not judging this car before i buy it. if i have a problem with it ill address it after i get it. if you dont like the blind spots and cant get used to it, why would you buy this car? it is a huge deal when driving it, isnt it?
maybe i just adapt to cars quicker but my 99 t/a i had no problems with blind spots.
you either want the car or you dont. its that easy. especially if you pre ordered.

Last edited by 2010_5thgen; 03-23-2009 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:18 PM

How does the headroom compare to a 4th gen? I am 6'5" and I had no problems in a 99 I test drove a while back.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

well either way people would still complain about something. if the blind spots were fied then they would say it looks stupid with such a large window in the rear or something dumb. just save your judgement for after you buy your car and your used to driving it. because i will guarantee you will be so used to it you wont remember what you were complaining about.
I think this is terrible advice.

If you're worried about how you'll feel about some particular aspect of the car, I recommend waiting until there's one at a dealership that you can test drive with no obligations.

That way, if you find out you don't like it, you've lost nothing.

As I've been saying for so long that there's a smiley for it (which I made):

Old 03-23-2009, 01:48 PM

Ding ding ding ding ding ding ding. Thank you.

Of course, if you HAVE pre-ordered, then you'll have little choice but to get used to what you get.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
Ding ding ding ding ding ding ding. Thank you.

Of course, if you HAVE pre-ordered, then you'll have little choice but to get used to what you get.
no $hit! this is what i was saying! you have to deal with it if you have bought it! if you havent bought it, then dont complain until you drive it. im just tired of every one saying about the damn blind spots and picking the little things appart about the car. buy it or dont. its that simple. and if you dont like something, they have many ways in the after market of changing anything.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
I think this is terrible advice.

If you're worried about how you'll feel about some particular aspect of the car, I recommend waiting until there's one at a dealership that you can test drive with no obligations.

That way, if you find out you don't like it, you've lost nothing.

As I've been saying for so long that there's a smiley for it (which I made):

thats not terrible advice. because if you have already preordered, you have to live with the choice you made, or sell it if you cant deal with the problem. so having that said, if you pre ordered, you might as well wait to complain about things, until you have driven the car. because you WILL get used to the issues. just like any car.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
And as an FYI...I never did get used to the blind spots in the my 99 T/A. Perhaps I just suck at driving?
You and me too I guess . If you notice the blind spot in a 4th-gen, you'll certainly notice it in the 5th.

if you havent bought it, then dont complain until you drive it. im just tired of every one saying about the damn blind spots and picking the little things appart about the car.
Sorry bud. People don't need to drive it or buy it to be allowed to pick it apart. That's the beauty of these forums and having people give their reviews ... so that others, who have not had the chance to drive the car yet, can get an idea of what to expect, and how to relate the new car to something they have already driven before.

At this point in time, it's far too late to CHANGE any of the "issues" with the car. It's a done deal. However, the whole purpose of the focus groups during development were to get REAL PEOPLE to drive the car and pick apart any "issues" they had with it. The blind spot is something that I, personally would have SCREAMED about . Maybe it's just me. Again, as others have pointed out, maybe I'm just not that good at adjusting my mirrors (although I really don't believe that's the case). Sometimes you've just gotta call a spade a spade. Reduced visibility is reduced visibility. Drive the car and tell me you disagree. Until then, I'll continue to report what I have seen (or not seen ) and experienced.

But again, it is too late to change anything, so maybe you're right ... let's just stop bitching about stuff that isn't going to change and accept the car the way it is?

However, maybe the NEXT time the Camaro is redesigned, they can improve on some of our complaints with the current platform, and resolve these issues .
Old 03-23-2009, 02:31 PM

no $hit! this is what i was saying! you have to deal with it if you have bought it! if you havent bought it, then dont complain until you drive it. im just tired of every one saying about the damn blind spots and picking the little things appart about the car. buy it or dont. its that simple. and if you dont like something, they have many ways in the after market of changing anything.
What they're saying is, if you're hearing of issues of concern (blind spots or whatever..), and you're planning on forking over $20K for a car. It would be WISE to test drive it before pre-ordering it.
I doubt the aftermarket can remedy that...
Even if I had the cash to pre-order one right now, I would still test drive one first, b/c it's an all NEW model, and that's a LOT of money.

Quick Reply: 2010 Camaro: my thoughts