2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

1fastdog's take on the unveil

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 12:39 PM

1fastdog's take on the unveil

I have put off posting my thoughts after the NAIAS Camaro unveil until most folks have had time to share their own reflections. I'll try to keep this brief, but also be complete as is in tune with the format here..

I have been following this forum for some time. Truth be known, I actively read a lot of GM enthusiast sites and primarily in a "lurker" mode. Any who have guessed I'm somehow associated with GM would be correct.
Having owned at least one of every Camaro generation, starting with blue 1969 Z/28 in 1969, I have some fond memories and a personal understanding of the passion our car of mutual interest generates.

Having a passion for a car or cars can open the door to establishing great friendships. At least it has for me. I count Scott among my most enthusiastic friends who came through the mutual love for cars.

One would have to look long and hard to find anybody more excited to get an invite to the NAIAS events. The opportunity was something rare, but moreover, the actual experiences exceeded the anticipation. It was all first rate. The Heritage Center was a journey to a GM fan's wonderland. Friend of mine who had been to other events there commented that they'd never seen so many cars presented. I wasn't surprised considering Scott was involved. The "extra mile" is never crowded, but Settlemire can always be seen on it in a Camaro.

The food was top flight, the refreshments cold, the guest speakers pumped to have the excited guests there to anticipate. I doubt any F-body fan could have left that event feeling GM doesn't care about them or their interests.

I had a chance to talk to folks in the common area of the hosting hotel. I wish I could have talked to everyone, but there wasn't time. I took in all I could regarding the leaked pix and what the unveil the next day would bring. There was excitement and there was anxiety.

The next morning was an early one. Several busses were assembled to move the passionate to Cobo. Once at the hall we were treated to the GM displays. I couldn't see any room for improvement. It was that good.

When the time approached for the magic moments, those that wished could take a box of hot candies such as Red Hots, Atomic Fire *****, or Hot Tamales.... nice touch. Walkers looking like a "Men in Black 'esque" attitude, slowly paraded with their backpack which sported LCD screens above their heads whih were playing the Camaro intro video. It was a hoot.

Most know about the parade of 1st gen racers and personal GM folk rides that paved the mainstreet for the Concept. I liked the Yunick car the best, but I was further stoked when Roger Penske commented on his involvement with Chevy and the TransAM cars... Glad Roger is back.

The Concept looks far more impressive and has way more impact in person than photos. I don't think I'm alone in this opinion. It's just better in steel than paper... as it should be.

After the unveil it was back to the bus and the Embassy. My wife, myself and a couple of cohorts met with Scott's mom and his two cousins for some surprisingly good fare.

Later it was hotel time where I did some more mingling, this time the operative question was ... "Will you buy it?" I never got a "no" from any I asked. This is important to my way of thinking.

Tuesday was airport time, and luckily my wife and I ran into some folks who were also event attendees and they recognized me from the little speech I made at the last F-Body Gathering in Atlanta. We took some time to chat in the Fox Sports bar. Good stuff, and they are future buyers as well.

All in all among the top experiences I have had with enthusiasts. If I didn't get to meet and speak with you it is truly my loss, but let's fix that the next time we are together.

There's no where I'd have rather been than with GM fans at a big day for the faithful! Thanks to GM, Scott, and you all!

Last edited by 1fastdog; 01-15-2006 at 12:50 PM.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:54 PM

Re: 1fastdog's take on the unveil

1fastdog, all I can say is that I agree completely! This was THE automotive event of my life...and I am so appreciative to have had the opportunity to attend.

And it was an absolute pleasure to meet and spend time with you as well. I find that you communicate colorfully and are a true Camaro enthusiast. What more could you ask for?

Last edited by Z284ever; 01-15-2006 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01-15-2006, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
1fastdog, all I can say is that I agree completely! This was THE automotive event of my life...and I am so appreciative to have had the opportunity to attend.

And it was an absolute pleasure to meet and spend time with you as well. I find that you communicate colorfully and are a true Camaro enthusiast. What more could you ask for?
Thanks, the feeling is mutual! As of "colorful communication"? Would you say it's Marina Blue or LeMans Blue? Maybe Torch Red?
Old 01-15-2006, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by 1fastdog
Thanks, the feeling is mutual! As of "colorful communication"? Would you say it's Marina Blue or LeMans Blue? Maybe Torch Red?
I've always had a thing for Marina Blue....but somehow I see a black on black, 5th gen, six speed Z/28 in my future. Maybe one or two other colors in my garage as well.

Last edited by Z284ever; 01-15-2006 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-15-2006, 01:59 PM

Thanks for your thoughts; they are really appreciated. I've owned 4 Camaros, and while that doesn't make me any kind of an expert, I do feel like I understand a bit what you mean by past experiences and memories with them. On the unveiling, it was quite a thrill for me. Anyway, thanks again!
Old 01-15-2006, 02:04 PM

1fastdog,

thank you for giving sich an honest take on the unveiling, i really wish i copuld have been there in person.

hopefully, i'll get a chance to meet you at BG this year, if you go
Old 01-15-2006, 04:24 PM

I just got a quick word in with you when you first showed up on Sun night down at the round table. For us, it is not a question of if, but how many .

I'll take mine in red w/ black stripes and int, or red w/ white stripes and red int. 6spd, top dog engine thank you.

I agree w/ 4ever that it was an event of a lifetime, was a pleasure and an honor to be involved.
Old 01-15-2006, 06:03 PM
Administrator

Great post Paul! Let me tell you, of all the people I met that weekend, you were one the funniest and most entertaining guy I talked to! You've got some great stories

Hope to see ya again soon.
Old 01-15-2006, 06:44 PM

Paul it was great to see you again and it was a time none of us will not forget I'm sure. Cindy and Iwill be at alot of events this year as always and at least 3 more the new car will be at so I hope to see you at one of them this coming spring and summer
Old 01-16-2006, 08:30 AM

Thanks for the response. It was fun meeting you and discussing cars.