2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'09 Camaro is perfect..one question: Can I get one with Onstar?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 10:30 PM

Re: '09 Camaro is perfect..one question: Can I get one with Onstar?

Originally Posted by number77
Can you get one with onstar!? The question is, can I get one without onstar.
wow, never seen so much excitement for onstar. I can bet it'll come standard with onstar...most GM's do.
Old 05-06-2006, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by POWERFREAK
wow, never seen so much excitement for onstar. I can bet it'll come standard with onstar...most GM's do.
I hope your being sarcastic, cause I'd never want to pay a subscription and it'd be ugly just sitting the the dash like that.
Old 05-06-2006, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by SMUJeremy
You sir, are retarded.

I love the T-Tops on my car, and have never worn a mullet.

Sunroof ARE LAME, and I don't want a drop top.

He may be retarded, but he's funny. Most entertaining posts I've read in a while, including yours SMUJ
Old 05-06-2006, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by OneHardFbody
LOL this is like the spanish inquisition for mullets.

Who was the 'clown in the media' who started it anyway?
I just read someone else on here say it and it seemed so true in my opinion. When I see a drop top or coupe I see a fast cool sports car, when I see t tops I get this image of some heavy-set white guy with pitch black shades on, a ****-eaters grin on his face and mullet blowin in the wind.

Maybe a large portion of the population sees the correlation as well, and maybe some dont.. that would be OK. LOL

T-tops are still cool, but I think SOME degree of mullet-factor are connected to them and the new camaro needed a major redo.. and we got it and it was needed..

I'm willing to bet this is the first Camaro to sell 200,000+ for a long time.. yes without those precious t-tops like the 4th gen had..

I cant wait to get rid of mine and get a blown 200* Z28 droptop or targa.
Will probably be the pinnacle of my life.

Funny damn post! And as much as I hate to admit it (being the proud one owner of an 85 IROC Z WITH T-tops) the guy has a point.
I feel as though I can speak somewhat intelligently on this issue, as I am a lifelong resident of the great state of South Carolina, always vying for the title of Redneck and Contemporary Mullet Capitol of the US.
Down here, we see mullets flying in the wind in December as these Cretins of Cool ride around in their (mostly 4th gen now) Camaros and Firebirds with the tops off. It doesn't matter the temperature, they just wear bigger jackets and crank their heaters. And speaking of crank and such things, you can usally tell the guys who also run a crystal meth lab, because their cars are usually restored or in great original shape, save a few SERIOUS dents or collision damage from when the 24 hour a day party got just a little out of hand.
They like these cars because they can afford them now, thanks to depreciation, and one day, when they become more and more collectible, they'll sell them off. The EXACT same thing happened to the first gens around here, I witnessed it myself. They just didn't have t-tops. Right now, the t-top is the roof of choice for the Mullet Men and Women (yes women with mullets, there are a lot of them here) of America. We owners of t-top cars just have to be patient and wait it out.
In the meantime, please no t-top on the new car. You just can't do it without seriously screwing up the appearance of the car!
Old 05-06-2006, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by 5thgen69camaro
Well now to inflict my unsolicited opinion yet again

First off, around here its rednecks with the muscle cars not Mullets. The reason being that rednecks went to the drag races drank beer and raced the muscle cars for the most part and fixed them through the week. Drag racing used to fall under that stigma, however there was a movement to change that. Around 1997 Maryland International Raceway wanted to expand its customer base to include import car owners. Any Muscle car would pummel an import at the time but that was corrected for by having an all import race. It was painful to watch, much less work that event. I wish I had any import because I would have taken all of the purses from bracket racing without trying. The next year or so they were ready to go up against Domestics in what was marketed as "Import Vs Domestic" race. From that point on, import racing progressed, starting with integra motor swaps and make shift ram air from Dryer ducting hoses to what they have today. The stigma of Red Neck Drag racing was changed.

The first gens dont have the mullet factor nor should they. Mullets werent in yet. First gens are often caught up in tales of Vietnam war vets buying them before going to war and after comming home. Also long hair hippies were in. No year of the first sold less than 220,000

The second gens early on were disco and hippies but later on were associated with Firebirds Smokie and the Bandit piloted by your favorite redneck and a Georiga State flag on the front plate which also had the Stars and Bars at the time.(since replaced unfortunately in 2001) Burt Reynolds wore a Cowboy hat in those movies and that was to cover up the bad hair piece at the time. This gen after surviving the Gas Crunch Bandit with his bad hair piece sold 218,853 in 1977 up to 282,571 in 1979 for the most Camaros ever.

Ever listen to the bald truth? Not alot of good radio at 11:30 at night sometimes. and no Im not going bald... yet

Early to mid 80's there was knight rider. Kinda a mullet but with a perm on top

Scary pic but Im tired. Knight rider along with sequals of Bandit helped sell the new body style 82 Camaros at 189,747 to 261,591 in 1984 the height of the 3rd gen in terms of production numbers. Mullets were in at the time. But not just for Camaro fans. BMW's Fords what ever. Only Camaro never saw those numbers again.

4th gen weighed in in 93 at 39,103 which bumped up to 119,799 and piqued in 95 at 122,738 Much less than the 3rd gen obviously. 2002 sold 41,776 and that was with an extended year. Fords sold a little more and were associated with the Yuppies of the tech boom in the toy commercial where the GI Joe shoots a rocket launcher at the Mustang. Not as many people bought the 4th gen so it is possible people remembered the 3rd gen still associating them with old mullets.

Why the mullet? its not any feature or anything in particular. Look at production numbers. When were most bought. This may be where the stigma came from. Tell me this though. Think of an Nissan Altima. Its a foreign car and I know what your thinking but Im not bald! Now quick picture the Altima. What do you picture?

something along these lines?

You probably forgot all about this one because Nissan most likely changed your perception as if they were Harry Houdini erasing it from your memory...

If this car puts up the production numbers that obviously mean a ton of people will buy it. That also means it will be associated with those new Camaro car buying people and things they do currently. NOT things of the past like Mullets.

Not a Sermon, just a thought
Funny *** post; SCARY *** post. Dude, WHERE did you have that Knight Rider pic and why would you admit via the post that you did have it?! Seriously though, good stuff!
Old 05-06-2006, 12:56 PM

I could give a crap about onstar, but I do have to say after owning 9 camaros, wait I am on 10 now. Anywho, some were t-tops, one was a convertible and MOST were hardtops. I HOPE THEY DO AWAY WITH T-TOPS. THEY SUCK!!!!!!!! BTW I dont want them to ruin the roof of that sweet concept.
Old 05-06-2006, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by willz
Funny *** post; SCARY *** post. Dude, WHERE did you have that Knight Rider pic and why would you admit via the post that you did have it?! Seriously though, good stuff!
I found it in a google search while writing that post... I used to watch both the knight rider shows and smokey and bandit as a kid
Old 05-06-2006, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by 5thgen69camaro
My brothers girlfriend drives one of them in black. lol At least I'm pretty sure that's what it is.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:32 PM

I hope your being sarcastic, cause I'd never want to pay a subscription and it'd be ugly just sitting the the dash like that.
That's pretty much why I don't want it. I'd rather not have to see if when I won't be willing to pay the fee...
Old 05-07-2006, 10:35 AM

No, I thought I heard that they were making onstar standard on all "non-fleet" vehicles. I'm pretty sure it came standard on my '05 trailblazer. You don't have to pay for anything...just don't re-new it. It's built into the rear-view mirror, so it's not on the dash. As long as they can hide the antenna (like I'm sure they do on the 'vette), it's pretty out of sight.

That said, if I had the choice, I wouldn't order it either.

Last edited by POWERFREAK; 05-07-2006 at 10:38 AM.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by wrastler
The third gen as a whole is "redneckish" because alotta people drive em around all trashed to hell and back, they break all the time, parts are dirt cheap and the overall look says trailer trash.

tell that to my wallet. i have dropped over 9 grand in my 85 t/a the last year to make it what i want

also, i work on lots of different cars, and even though the f body's build quality was not up to par with some of the other cars out at the time, the third gen dash is built much better then the 4th gen dash. regardless of what gen you own, the f body's dash is light years ahead of the mustangs dash in any year.

btw, my 89 iroc has t- tops and i only bought it because at the time i could not find a hard top worth buying, but i like them now, but still prefer the hard top.
Old 05-07-2006, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by OneHardFbody
Well its the design of the car (which I would NOT want changed, esp for t-tops).. considering this appears to the be hottest, meanest looking and probably going to be the best quality Camaro ever produced.. a tall order but its looking like it!

I know women that consider ALL camaros "dirtball cars".. thats the kind of dirty hick american image that the car has to fight.
The new car could not have done any better at blowing peoples minds.

This car is going to be on FIRE with the young guys like myself (24) and will sell like no other Camaro ever has. I promise that if they dont change the design.
And the true Camaro fans from back in the day? They see the 1960s Camaro spirit with a truley smoking design.

Makes the Challenger and Moostang look like jellybeans on the road.

The 1st round knocked out challenger is extremely bland, if I wanted a 1970 Challenger wouldnt I just buy one thats metal instead of plastic?? And Rustang? Oh Sweet Jesus just deliver me now
When I turn into a woman I'll drive one of those.
Good grief. Where do I begin?

Camaros and T-tops go together. Something like 60-70% of all 4th gen Camaros had T-tops. Hardly a throwback to the 80s. Camaro buyers tended to be older and tended to have 2nd and even 3rd cars. Camaro buyers also tended to keep their cars in the garage for weekends. We are talking NEW car buyers here bub, not some mid-west yahoo driving around in 2006 in a 1983 Camaro or a crystal-meth dude running around in a 10 year old 4th gen.

2nd, I don't know what bars or places of questionable women you frequent, or how much your car buying decision is guided by feeding "Mr. Happy", but I assure you that the so-called "dirt-ball" car image you think women have of the car doesn't extend to bi-pedal types. The only women I can think of that look down on Camaros are the types that judge their men on the letters B-M-W. Those types aren't intrested in you (or me) anyway. And the feelings should be mutual. Hell, my sister drives a black 4th gen Camaro.... with T-tops...... an assistant principal in Phenoix!

As far as the Challenger and what you call the "Moostang", keep in mind that if it wasn't for the Mustang, there would have never been a Camaro. And for a second time, Camaro owes it's existence on the success of the Mustang. As for the "jellybean" comment, if you say the 350,000+ Mustangs that have been sold the past 2 years look that way, then so be it. The public seems to love it.

Meanwhile, saying the 1st-gen-Camaro-body-look-alike Challenger looks like a "jellybean" should earn you a trip to the woodshed. At least Chrysler has approved the thing for production and it should be on the streets within the next 12-15 months. You attempted to slam is as 1970s metal and plastic. Outside of all cars being metal and plastic and the Challenger actually being a relatively nice car that's going to do well, and will no doubt turn heads on the street, you really don't have anything to stand on there. It's going to be alot bigger than Camaro or Mustang, and I can easily see it snagging more than a few Monte Carlo SS buyers.

I was blown away by the new Camaro concept as much as the next guy, and was actually there at the NAIAS unveiling. I first hand heard the press, reps from other companies, investment firm reps, vips, and the throngs of other invited guests gasp at the 1st look, then chatter incseeantly anongst themselves and people on the other end of their cell phones about the new Camaro. There's alot of other people here who also were there who will tell you the same thing.

But I think most of us here realize that we are competing against Nissan, Toyota, Honda, Hyundai, & Kia. These guys will never successfully capture what Mustang, Challenger, or Camaro are all about. I'm a huge fan of all American performance cars. There was a day when Mustangs ran all over Camaros, and a period when Firebirds ran all over Camaros, days when Dodge ran all over Camaros, and days when Camaros ran all over them. It's silly to think one brand is always right, and to my knowledge, no car maker sends out paychecks to people who mindlessly remain loyal when those same makers refuse to make what the public and enthuisasts want.

Right now, Ford Mustang GT is the world's best performance buy bar none. It's also the most successful performance car in history. The Pontiac GTO is the world's best Grand Touring car. Nothing on the planet offers such a well built, comfortable, 400+ horse, rear drive, rear drive, 2 door, road machine like it (that seats 4 passengers comfortably) anywhere near it's $33,000 price. Both cars are at the top of my list if I were to buy a new car today. I've owned 3 4th gens and a 1st gen Camaro, a series of 5.0 Mustangs, and at least 3 SCs, so there's a bit of non-biased experience behind my opinion.

FWIW: Although the new Camaro's design make T-tops impractical, as long as Corvettes, Ferraris, Porsches, and a host of other cars have "Targa" tops, removable roofs aren't out of style...... or "mullet". This from someone hardly from Mulletville.

Last edited by guionM; 05-07-2006 at 03:26 PM.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:53 PM

I Agree 100%
Old 05-07-2006, 07:33 PM

I dont know if I should post this here but i have one wish for this car. When this car comes out I know that it will probably have smaller tires. I hope they come out with the bigger tires at least for an option, like the Saleen mustangs have.

But my question is why is it that the low profile tires dont have white letters? The old cars look mean with them and so does trucks. I think that would look so cool. Any ideas?
Old 05-07-2006, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by HOUSE OF DOOM
I dont know if I should post this here but i have one wish for this car. When this car comes out I know that it will probably have smaller tires. I hope they come out with the bigger tires at least for an option, like the Saleen mustangs have.

But my question is why is it that the low profile tires dont have white letters? The old cars look mean with them and so does trucks. I think that would look so cool. Any ideas?
I hope large wheels are at least an option.

But I don't like seeing lettering on tires. I'd rather have them solid black.

I remember purchasing tires for a car of mine once, and requesting they put them on with the lettering facing 'inside' the car so you couldn't see it.

Quick Reply: '09 Camaro is perfect..one question: Can I get one with Onstar?