2010 - 2015 Camaro Interior, Exterior, Paint & Body, Electronics/Car Audio 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro discussion for body kits, paint and stripe care, seats, dash, gauges, car audio, etc.

Ugly-Retro

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 11:04 PM

Re: Ugly-Retro

Originally Posted by merlinsteele
Well, you have your idea of what retro is, and I have mine. You are not the dictionary king, so just because you say 'it's retro', does not make it so.

I'd say, yes, it definetely has the cues of past Camaros. But it's looks pretty modern, to me! I saw a pic on this site with, was it a '69 and the Concept side by side? They looked more different than the same, to me. But that's just my humble opinion.
Im with you. Its not the "5thgen69camaro" retro I was hoping for. Though I also see enough 69 in it to admit some retro, or 69 heritage. The taillights are completely different. The front slopes down, foglights moved to the outer edges. I was hoping for a 69 retro as the most sought after today, but admit a slightly new spin may have opened it up to a larger audience. Even when I used to argue that bringin back a 69 retro car, putting some of a BMW Jr. spin on the car was what I hoped would be included which it was. I just hope it doesnt lose the ques of my beloved 69 that it does have between now and production...

I wish I was as as diplomatic as Scott and Jason. My instinct would be to say get out of line and let those who love it in there first. But I also do hope those who dont get a good look in person before deciding. Its going to be at Carlisle soon?
Old 06-03-2006, 12:45 AM

Well, you have your idea of what retro is, and I have mine. You are not the dictionary king, so just because you say 'it's retro', does not make it so.

I'd say, yes, it definetely has the cues of past Camaros. But it's looks pretty modern, to me! I saw a pic on this site with, was it a '69 and the Concept side by side? They looked more different than the same, to me. But that's just my humble opinion.
Let me ask you something then. What kind of car on sale right now would you consider retro designed? Anything? Your definition of retro seems to exclude anything new from actually being retro, regardless of how it looks.
Old 06-03-2006, 06:17 AM

I say which ever camp you are in its a good great mix of modern and retro. I think they got it right for once.
Old 06-03-2006, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by RussStang
Let me ask you something then. What kind of car on sale right now would you consider retro designed? Anything? Your definition of retro seems to exclude anything new from actually being retro, regardless of how it looks.
I guess my definition of 'retro' would be something that is not just influenced by the past models, but has most if not the same look as it's predecessor. Like the Challenger. The Charger I might agree to be slightly retro, and the Mustang, mostly.

I'll admit, the Concept is not a 100% jump in a forward direction, compared to the 4th gen, futuristically speaking. But I guess with the front end, and the rear end looking the way it does, like I said (side by side with the '69), it doesn't look like it's twin.

To me, it's not important whether it's retro or not anyway. If you like it, good. If not, find something else!
Old 06-03-2006, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by 5thgen69camaro
Im with you. Its not the "5thgen69camaro" retro I was hoping for. Though I also see enough 69 in it to admit some retro, or 69 heritage. The taillights are completely different. The front slopes down, foglights moved to the outer edges. I was hoping for a 69 retro as the most sought after today, but admit a slightly new spin may have opened it up to a larger audience. Even when I used to argue that bringin back a 69 retro car, putting some of a BMW Jr. spin on the car was what I hoped would be included which it was. I just hope it doesnt lose the ques of my beloved 69 that it does have between now and production...

I wish I was as as diplomatic as Scott and Jason. My instinct would be to say get out of line and let those who love it in there first. But I also do hope those who dont get a good look in person before deciding. Its going to be at Carlisle soon?
That's funny! Personally at first I was hoping for an all new modern Camaro! When I finally saw the Concept, I was surprised. I liked it, well, all except the nose. But finally even that is growing on me. And yes, I'm glad they kept some cues from the 69.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by POWERFREAK
Everyone is absolutely entitled to his/her opinion...plain and simple if you don't like it, don't buy it. But if you don't like it, don't try and convince other people to agree with you. Go buy whatever you like.
AMEN!

The car will be hugely successful that is for sure. As for the retro thing I'm not arguing the point. Retro is normally associated with copying an original design on a new sheet and pushing it as something new. The new Camaro isnt anything like that.

Sure it has the 1st gen influenced shape (which is a good thing bc it has to look like a Camaro), but to my eye, I see a whole lot more of C6 and Art and Science styling on top ot it. And those are modern GM designs. And that blend of old and new styling just turned out DAMN GOOD
Old 06-03-2006, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by SFireGT98
AMEN!

The car will be hugely successful that is for sure. As for the retro thing I'm not arguing the point. Retro is normally associated with copying an original design on a new sheet and pushing it as something new. The new Camaro isnt anything like that.

Sure it has the 1st gen influenced shape (which is a good thing bc it has to look like a Camaro), but to my eye, I see a whole lot more of C6 and Art and Science styling on top ot it. And those are modern GM designs. And that blend of old and new styling just turned out DAMN GOOD
Very well said I agree and can't wait to have one in my drive
Old 06-03-2006, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Mike2001SS
Very well said I agree and can't wait to have one in my drive
Ditto!
Old 06-03-2006, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by NikiVee
I'm not a huge fan of the new Camaro, but to say it lacks design and imagination is a little bit to much. Sounds like your trying to pick a fight. Only 10 yr olds do that.

10 year olds may pick fights but only a 5 year old would do it when so vastly outnumbered by the majority of the users on this site.
Old 06-03-2006, 11:53 AM

That's funny! Personally at first I was hoping for an all new modern Camaro! When I finally saw the Concept, I was surprised. I liked it, well, all except the nose. But finally even that is growing on me. And yes, I'm glad they kept some cues from the 69.
and the tail lights keep growing on me more and more which I didnt expect...
Old 06-03-2006, 12:41 PM

The whole 5th gen Camaro has grown on me. At first, I thought it looked like a brick (compared to an early 4th gen, everything looks like a brick). Now I think it's an appealing design that stands on its own.

As far as retro is concerned, I think the 'retro' is more obvious in the purpose behind the design. Whereas the Camaro had evolved into a kind of 4-seater Vette, the 5th gen seems a return to the original design philosophy. In the styling department, I see a lot of 3rd gen meets 1st gen styling cues... but all the curves seem uniquely new. In contrast with the Mustang, the new Camaro doesn't seem intended to look retro, as opposed to incidentally looking retro because of a return to the car's original purpose.
Old 06-04-2006, 02:56 AM

^I think that that's the best description of how the styling isn't retro that I've heard.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by IndyZman
I thought the retro-Mustang was ugly and a bad idea, until I saw the new Retro-Look Camaro,.....it is truly horrid!!! a Hyundai looks more sporty than this lack of design and imagination that the new retro Camaro inspires.
Hey GM, I'll hold on to my "REAL" Camaro , a '97 Camaro.

This camaro IS a real Camaro..
Old 06-04-2006, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Chevamaro
The whole 5th gen Camaro has grown on me. At first, I thought it looked like a brick (compared to an early 4th gen, everything looks like a brick). Now I think it's an appealing design that stands on its own.

As far as retro is concerned, I think the 'retro' is more obvious in the purpose behind the design. Whereas the Camaro had evolved into a kind of 4-seater Vette, the 5th gen seems a return to the original design philosophy. In the styling department, I see a lot of 3rd gen meets 1st gen styling cues... but all the curves seem uniquely new. In contrast with the Mustang, the new Camaro doesn't seem intended to look retro, as opposed to incidentally looking retro because of a return to the car's original purpose.
I think that is the response everyone should quote if this comes up again.. Nice job Chevamaro

and to boot again.

The 5th Gen IS A REAL CAMARO
and to quote him :
" Whereas the Camaro had evolved into a kind of 4-seater Vette, the 5th gen seems a return to the original design philosophy"

someone thinks right..
Old 06-05-2006, 02:13 PM

I guess my definition of 'retro' would be something that is not just influenced by the past models, but has most if not the same look as it's predecessor. Like the Challenger. The Charger I might agree to be slightly retro, and the Mustang, mostly.
The only reason to call the Charger retro is that you have to go back in time 40 or 50 years to find a car that ugly