2010 - 2015 Camaro Interior, Exterior, Paint & Body, Electronics/Car Audio 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro discussion for body kits, paint and stripe care, seats, dash, gauges, car audio, etc.

[Paint & Body] Stripes not factory installed?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 04:36 PM

Stripes not factory installed?

Just talked to a dealer and he said that he lost $500 because the stripes weren't factory installed like he thought. He said the dealer has to put them on and the quality isn't as good. This has me worried since I ordered mine with stripes and I don't want someone messing it up. Anyone else heard this?
Old 05-21-2009, 07:18 PM

yeah i knew about it, look on youtube, you see that the dealers put them on for you. i ordered mine with stripes too but its dealer installed and im pretty sure they install them pretty good
Old 05-22-2009, 02:08 PM

My feelings are it doesn't matter who puts them on. They are installed before you take delivery right? Would anyone take ownership of a new car with a half assed stripe job? I sure wouldn't. Just make sure your GM knows your concerned that it's done spot on. The way it should be done. Anything less is unexceptable.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:54 PM

Wink

Ive had alot of my dealers have to call and get replacement stripe packages because they've screwed the ones ive sent them up lol I wish it was done from the factory but it gives me more business so i cant complain
Old 05-23-2009, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by BGEEZY
Ive had alot of my dealers have to call and get replacement stripe packages because they've screwed the ones ive sent them up lol I wish it was done from the factory but it gives me more business so i cant complain
Are you the primary supplier?
Old 05-23-2009, 12:43 PM

No worries. Speaking from experience, if your stripes are damaged during application, a new set of stripes will be shipped out to replace them. Additionally, I highly recommend that you carefully inspect on your own, for tears prior to acceptance. As others have mentioned, if there is any problem with the stripe installation (off-center, uneven, symmetry, etc.), don't accept it.

In my case, the stripes weren't what I had expected. After the first set tore, I had the dealer keep the second set and knock off the price of the stripe package (..before final purchase). My camaro is currently being custom painted with the stripes I originally wanted. BTW-The price of the stripe package is roughly one third of a quality custom paint job.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:39 PM

A friend of mine runs the body shop at a local dealership.

Someone ordered a car with the shipped-with-the-car-but-dealer-installed stripes.

The dealerships decal installer refused to put them on after looking at them... said they won't go on good, especially on the hood... and he didnt want to be responsible. They found another guy, and he destroyed the stripes. They can't even find someone able to put them on at this point.

I said it when i first saw this, but why on earth would GM factory install a few colors of the stripes, and then NOT do so for other colors, THAT SHIP WITH THE CAR FROM THE FACTORY (if I am understanding everything correctly).

Makes no sense whatsoever, unless I am missing something.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by RumbleBeeSS
No worries. Speaking from experience, if your stripes are damaged during application, a new set of stripes will be shipped out to replace them. Additionally, I highly recommend that you carefully inspect on your own, for tears prior to acceptance. As others have mentioned, if there is any problem with the stripe installation (off-center, uneven, symmetry, etc.), don't accept it.

In my case, the stripes weren't what I had expected. After the first set tore, I had the dealer keep the second set and knock off the price of the stripe package (..before final purchase). My camaro is currently being custom painted with the stripes I originally wanted. BTW-The price of the stripe package is roughly one third of a quality custom paint job.

Hope this helps.
+1, this should be a sticky in everyone's mind before accepting your car!
Old 05-29-2009, 08:32 PM

factory stripes?

I ordered stripes because I saw that a couple colors were available from the factory I thought, so I went ahead and ordered them. Well today I got a copy of my invoice mailed to me by the dealer, and I noticed that the stripes were not on the invoice, but I do have a copy of the order that shows that they indeed were ordered. The car hopefully will be delivered in the next 2 days or so. Exp I/T 5/31/09. The dealer says maybe the car will have the stripes and will be added to the sticker by them? He tried to find out, but found no sign of anything showing that the stripes are on it. If they have to do it they use an outside company to do it, and said that the outside company has done 3 of them for them before, and did a great job. I don't know what to expect, does any one know???
Old 06-01-2009, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by jimvor
I ordered stripes because I saw that a couple colors were available from the factory I thought, so I went ahead and ordered them. Well today I got a copy of my invoice mailed to me by the dealer, and I noticed that the stripes were not on the invoice, but I do have a copy of the order that shows that they indeed were ordered. The car hopefully will be delivered in the next 2 days or so. Exp I/T 5/31/09. The dealer says maybe the car will have the stripes and will be added to the sticker by them? He tried to find out, but found no sign of anything showing that the stripes are on it. If they have to do it they use an outside company to do it, and said that the outside company has done 3 of them for them before, and did a great job. I don't know what to expect, does any one know???
As you are probably aware, the only colors that get factory applied are cyber gray or white. I haven't seen either of these factory applied colors in person, but the finished pics of these seem to show a slightly thicker material with a glossy finish as opposed to mine which were flat black and extremely thin (which tore during application). My stripe damage was to be expected I suppose due to being that it will likely be a sublet's first experience at applying them. I've heard from the "alleged" stripe supplier that this has happened quite often. In your case, you are fortunate in that your subletted company has already done three jobs with favorable results. If you still have concerns, contact the guys who are doing the stripes and get the application information you seek straight from the source. They may also have pics of their handi-work. Hope this helps.

btw- I ended up choosing to go with painted stripes:

Name:  173-7373_IMG.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  57.4 KB
Old 06-05-2009, 12:39 PM

My buddy just had the factory stripes put on. It took 4 sets to finally get them right and this was done at a very good body shop by someone who knows what they are doing. Problem with the stripes from what I understand is they are not contour cut. I would not waste my money for factory stripes. Take it to a strip shop that computer cuts them with the contour that way they fit like a glove.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:46 AM
Disciple

RPO = Factory Installed Rally Stripes in Grey or White.
LPO = Dealer Installed Rally Stripes in other colors and all Hockey/Bonnet Stripe packages.
This was clearly explained in the order guide and sales literature.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by HTWLSS
RPO = Factory Installed Rally Stripes in Grey or White.
LPO = Dealer Installed Rally Stripes in other colors and all Hockey/Bonnet Stripe packages.
This was clearly explained in the order guide and sales literature.
My buddy ordered gray rally stripes and they were not factory installed.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:17 PM
Disciple

Originally Posted by lcmc
My buddy ordered gray rally stripes and they were not factory installed.
Have him check the order sheet to see if the dealership entered them as RPO or LPO. Could be either one.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:56 PM

the installers need to watch the video gm has out on the gm global connect site, anyone at the dealer can access it, it is about 30 min long,, me and the installer watched it and there is a special technique to install them correctly, once my installer watched the video it all made sense how to lay them out right

here are mine:

Name:  2010camarostripes003.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  84.2 KB

Name:  2010camarostripes005.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  71.4 KB

Last edited by jay_lt4; 06-07-2009 at 10:59 PM.

Quick Reply: [Paint & Body] Stripes not factory installed?