2010 - 2015 Camaro Interior, Exterior, Paint & Body, Electronics/Car Audio 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro discussion for body kits, paint and stripe care, seats, dash, gauges, car audio, etc.

[Electronics/Car Audio] On Star Police Shut Down

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 07:06 AM
Admin Emeritus

Re: On Star Police Shut Down

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
just because you havent heard of a story from a direct person doesnt mean it cant or hasnt happened.
You can say that about anything. However, I am not saying that, but what I am asking is has anyone here directly known it to happen? A search doesn't bring up much other than concern, bordering on paranoia (in some cases) and reference to the Stolen Vehicle Slowdown feature. YMMV.

and im sure its not going to be all over the news" ONSTAR shuts down motor!"
Actually, yes it would be. All it would take is a phone call to the media and they would be all over it. A lot of today's of the headlines start this way. Heck, all it would take is one post in an internet message forum just like this one to go semi-viral and the media would pick up on it. You cannot easily keep secrets these days.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:38 AM

youd be surprised how much is kept from us. if onstar didnt want it to be out there......its not going to be out there.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:42 AM
Admin Emeritus

OnStar isn't the government. It is a subsidiary of GM, just a business. Neither one is immune to investigation, especially when things like "potential" surveillance and such is involved...but that also illustrates people's concern, which I understand in part. I think there is much more false hype than fact when it comes to it.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:34 AM

no their not the government. but the government has the power to have them shut down a car. and technically if onstar is a subsudiary of GM( government motors) then yes.....they are the government.
theres always going to be non believers. and theres no way to convince them right. just like theres no way for you to prove me wrong.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:20 AM
Admin Emeritus

no their not the government. but the government has the power to have them shut down a car. and technically if onstar is a subsudiary of GM( government motors) then yes.....they are the government.
Heheheh...that's note quite accurate, but whatever helps you out.

theres always going to be non believers. and theres no way to convince them right. just like theres no way for you to prove me wrong.
I am not interested in proving anyone wrong, I am just asking questions so I can separate the facts from the myths for my own knowledge.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:15 PM

honestly, i dont think well ever know any myths from the facts. theres always someone who knew someone that knows the guy.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:29 PM
Admin Emeritus

Exactly...and that often turns out to be speculation.

But the facts that we do know...and to answer the original question...we are not told they can shut a car down, but they do say that they can prevent one from starting or slow it down gradually in the case of a stolen vehicle.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:27 PM

in the end, isnt slowing the car down the same effect as shutting it off? either way, its scary that they can do that....and openly admit that they can do that. and use it as a selling feature.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:49 AM

isnt it also scary that they can unlock your doors if you lose your keys and have an infant int he backseat in 100* temps.

and they use that to sell cars. outrageuos.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by DAKMOR
isnt it also scary that they can unlock your doors if you lose your keys and have an infant int he backseat in 100* temps.

and they use that to sell cars. outrageuos.

Agreed! LOL! I have had to use this feature twice (unlocking doors) On my Camaro and on my 3500. Wow it was soooo scary that they could help me get into my car (sarcasm of course).

I, for one, think that if they can "slow" or stop my engine if someone steals my car OR if the owner of another is driving like a Dumbarse is an AWESOME feature. Sorry, but some people need babysitters!
Old 07-11-2011, 12:08 PM

yeah but not big brother.......
Old 07-12-2011, 06:41 AM

http://www.moderncamaro.com/forum/5t...eives-0-a.html
Old 08-02-2011, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by DAKMOR
http://rpidesigns.com/images/camaroantenna.jpg

break this piece off with a hammer if you are that paranoid.

did you know that your car has a computer and could theoretically record all your inputs like steering and throttle/brake usage? that computer coudl then be read by the insurance company, theortically, and determine if your caused an accident, theoritically, and charge you more.

Theoritically.
-- THEORITICALLY- this actually happened to a camaro owner who was exceeding 90 mph for several miles on an interstate- he was verbally warned and then was shut down. ALSO black box info is avail to insurance companies and the police. THIS WAS RELATED TO SEVERAL PEOPLE BY THE PERSON IT HAPPENED TO.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:18 PM

Wow, I wish I would have logged on more often here. I didn't think my original post would bring about so much discussion. I've never heard of this ACTUALLY happening to anyone, but that doesn't mean it hasn't. I let my trial subscription run out because I though it was a colossal waste of my money. I have a cell phone, I know how to change a tire, I know how to read a map, and I have insurance if my car is stolen. If I don't use the service, I don't think they should be able to track my location, unlock my doors, or anything else that they can do. If On Star can slow down a stolen car, why wouldn't they be able to slow down a high speed pursuit for the police? What kind of liability would they have for helping the police prevent a potentially serious accident? I am not paranoid at all, I just want to know if I can disconnect the damn On Star antennae if I want to. I really don't like the idea of someone being able to slow my car down, or anything else, if I don't want them to. Does anyone really think this is acceptable? I live in the United States because I want freedom, not to have anyone taking it away, no matter how small or insignificant it may seem to some people!
Old 08-14-2011, 07:39 PM

honestly, i dont think well ever know any myths from the facts. theres always someone who knew someone that knows the guy.
I dont think its myth. Isnt this a requirement in Canada that the police be able to shut your car down remotely? This was in response to all the high speed pursuits in the US that were routinely ending up on the news. Canada didnt want the dangerous pursuits. See the link below.

Originally Posted by JasonD
Exactly...and that often turns out to be speculation.

But the facts that we do know...and to answer the original question...we are not told they can shut a car down, but they do say that they can prevent one from starting or slow it down gradually in the case of a stolen vehicle.
basically.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/Autos...3706113&page=1

http://www.moderncamaro.com/forum/5th-generation-camaro-news-general-discussion/31949-onstar-1-theives-0-a.html
Wow!

Last edited by 5thgen69camaro; 08-14-2011 at 08:35 PM.

Quick Reply: [Electronics/Car Audio] On Star Police Shut Down