2010 - 2015 Camaro Interior, Exterior, Paint & Body, Electronics/Car Audio 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro discussion for body kits, paint and stripe care, seats, dash, gauges, car audio, etc.

[Electronics/Car Audio] Push Button Start

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 08:35 PM

Push Button Start

Hello I am a first time poster, long time reader but I had a question. I currently own a IS250 and I'm not in love with the car but I do like the fact it has a push button ignition. My dad just recently purchased a corvette and I notice that they have this technology for it.. I was wondering if they would have this for the new camaros.. Or @ least make it a option. Eithier way I'm still trading my car in for a camaro but it would be nice if I could have this option
Old 08-07-2007, 10:03 PM

I don't see push button starters to be any better than a key lock ignition.

Why do you want one?
Old 08-07-2007, 10:47 PM

Unhappy

Originally Posted by DAKMOR

Why do you want one?
I just think its a nice feature.... I love the fact that I never have to take my keys out of my pocket... I'm a bit of a clutz
Old 08-07-2007, 11:32 PM

Push button start is neat and very convenient if you have your hands full and all but....

What if you've just changed the fuel filter and you want to prime it a few times?

What if you're column is locked and you just want to turn the wheels a little without firing it up?
Old 08-08-2007, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by F1GT
Push button start is neat and very convenient if you have your hands full and all but....

What if you've just changed the fuel filter and you want to prime it a few times?

What if you're column is locked and you just want to turn the wheels a little without firing it up?
If it's anything like Toyota's system, you can push the start button without your foot on the brake and it's just like having the key in the "run" position, not start. The car only starts when the brake is depressed while pushing the start button.

This will allow fuel pump priming, release of steering wheel lock, radio and window use, etc...

It's a pretty nice feature, especially if it includes the door unlocking function which unlocks the doors or trunk when you get within like a foot or two. I had a lot of customers that actually forgot they had keys and walked off with the key fob and we couldn't start the car.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:57 AM

I guess you guys make a good argument. Convenience and luxury are pretty strong factors for buying a car.

But I wonder, if they put that on, it would be on all models. It sounds like it would be too expensive to make it without.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:11 AM

Push button start and paddle shifters FTW.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by kidvalor
I just think its a nice feature.... I love the fact that I never have to take my keys out of my pocket... I'm a bit of a clutz
Less chance of locking them IN the car, unless they fall out of your pocket.. I've been an idiot for locking them in the car lately.. twice in a week...
Old 08-15-2007, 08:16 PM

my 3rd gen has a push start button hidden under the dashboard.. only because the turnkey stopped working for some reason.. so just did a little bypassing. It is cool and all.. not sure if it is better or not - unless you are refering to the keychain ignition.. then that is pretty cool and useful for warming up the car
Old 08-15-2007, 09:27 PM

I think that would increase the price of the car, currently its offered only in the Vette, (not even the Tahoe or Suburban LTZ have it) so I don't think they will offer it in the Camaro, much less the base model ones.

By the way, you can use the interior accesories and everything in the Vette without starting it, you just have to push the rocker type 2 way button the other way around.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:44 AM

So my rental nissan altima has a push button start, but its to expensive for the camaro.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by KyleW93z
So my rental nissan altima has a push button start, but its to expensive for the camaro.
The Nissan Sentra and alot of other cheapie cars have it too nowadays , it seems to be the latest gimmick . I gues I dont have an opinion on this . If it has it cool , if I gotta stick a key in the ignition , no problem .

If they do do it , do it right though . None of this BMW logic where u still gotta stick a fob into a ignition to push the start button . The vette system is really user friendly , so hopefully they would stick to that formula .

I would rather just see the key integrated into the remote fob 'ala Audi/Vdub . GM seems to slowly be getting with the program in this area .
Old 09-06-2007, 10:36 AM

people on scionlife forums have been adding push button start on TC's there using a honda S2000 button that comes in a $70 ebay kit. after wiring in you still need the key in on position but have the option of turning the key further or pushing the button. Even with the extra steps of pushing the button at this time its considered a lux option if installed nicely.

After the car comes out i sure someone will figure out how to wire it correctly.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by DAKMOR
+ 1
Old 09-14-2007, 06:44 PM

Push buttons are showing up in more and more cars. IMO this could be something on the camaros that could be done without drastically increasing the price at all. My friend has an Acura, it's sweet to be able to walk up to your car and open the door just cuz the keys are in your pocket.

Quick Reply: [Electronics/Car Audio] Push Button Start