2010 - 2015 Camaro Interior, Exterior, Paint & Body, Electronics/Car Audio 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro discussion for body kits, paint and stripe care, seats, dash, gauges, car audio, etc.

How far do the stock fender "flares" extend?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 12:42 PM

How far do the stock fender "flares" extend?

Hey everyone,
I'm trying to do some research/legwork for a car we're building next month. Unfortunately we won't have the car until January 5th so there are a few measurements I can't take. It's a 2011 Camaro SS, btw.

We're running 18x11" front wheels with 295 tires and 18x12" rear wheels with 335 tires. Obviously, yes, we know those are not fitting within the stock fenders. These will be custom 3 piece wheels with offsets that will give us the inner clearances we need. We're also replacing the front fenders entirely with CF fenders, however they are still shaped like the stock fenders.

We're going to cut off the stock "flares" built into the front and rear fenders on the Camaro, mount the wheels, and and bolt on/blend in either universal fender flares or flares specific to another vehicle that we are pretty sure we can adapt to our purposes. That way we can shape the fenders around the wheels. It's a race car, so if it doesn't look perfect up close we're not going to cry about it.

It would have been easier if the Camaro had smooth and not flared fenders. My concern is how big the stock flares already are because however far out the new flares extend we have to subtract how far the stock flares extended and then we'll know how much room we'll really have with the new flares.

If anyone wouldn't mind taking a few minutes with a tape measure and letting me know how far out from they extend directly from the body and/or the length of the flare's arch itself I would really appreciate it.

Sorry, I can't give too much more information on the car, the build, or the race team as our biggest sponsor has asked us not to talk about it until January 5th, but I promise on that date I'll be posting pictures and updating everyone on the project.

Thanks,

Andrew
Old 12-29-2010, 10:49 AM
Admin Emeritus

Re: How far do the stock fender "flares" extend?

My car is all wrapped up for the winter, but I am sure someone can help you.

Can you give an exact spot that you need measurements from and to?

Sounds interesting, please be sure to give us the detailed info when you can!
Old 12-29-2010, 12:18 PM

who says those sizes will not fit under the fenders?
ive seen 305 up front and 335 in the rear. dont see why it shouldnt fit, with the right offset.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
who says those sizes will not fit under the fenders?
ive seen 305 up front and 335 in the rear. dont see why it shouldnt fit, with the right offset.

You may be correct, although from what ive heard the front is the real issue due to suspension clearance, especially on 18" wheels (which we have to run for tire availability) although from what I've seen I'm not sure they will fit... Especially wanting the freedom to run whatever camber setting we want and to lower the car.

The real problem, and the reason I'm trying to get as much legwork and research done as possible is I've never even sat in a 2011 camaro. We're getting the car on Jan. 5th and on the 6th we pretty much need to order every part ordered since the car must be finished on the 25th. And we lose the 17th-22nd because it'll be at the cage shop having the cage put in and the interior painted.

Lol, so we basically have one morning to take measurements and then the parts better fit.

On the one hand i dont want to use flares for aerodynamic reasons, on the other hand id like the room and like to know everything will fit. Another concern is we will definitely lower the ride height so it needs to fit in the fenders, the tires cant stick out. We're most likely running 550F/900R spring rates so hopefully rubbing just won't be an issue. Its looking like we'll be running 18x11 ET10 fronts and 18x12 ET15 rears. From what I understand that will give us the inner clearances we need and extend the wheels basically 2.5" to the outside.

We've actually been talking to the manufacturer of a widebody kit for the camaros and it's looking like we may use a few pieces from it since they'll fit the car and the flares extend the front by 2.5" and the rear by 3.5"
Old 12-29-2010, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by JasonD
My car is all wrapped up for the winter, but I am sure someone can help you.

Can you give an exact spot that you need measurements from and to?

Sounds interesting, please be sure to give us the detailed info when you can!
Jason,
Thanks, I will definitely let everyone know about the car as soon as I can. If anyone is going to a certain big auto show that might start on January 27th it will be in it, actually too.

It's funny, I hate to say it, but I'm not a big American muscle car guy. I primarily race formula cars and Porsches, but I'm actually really excited about building and racing this car.

As far as the measurements. I think we're actually ok at this point, but if anyone wouldn't mind. I'd love to get the wheel opening diameter at its widest point, and then at the highest point on both front and rear flares id like to get the length of the curve from the fender itself to the edge of the flare, as well as if possible, a measurement straight out from the fender to the edge of the fender. Probably with a ruler or something flat held against the edge of the flare at a right angle to the measure extending from the fender.

Thanks again,

Andew
Old 06-09-2011, 10:55 PM
Banned

Has anyone painted their fender flares? I was searching for a posts for this the other day to find an info. I will attempt this weekend with a low gloss black rattle can.
1998 GMC 3500 Dually w/ Fender Flares - Daily Driver
1996 GMC Suburban 2500 454 4x4 - Boat Hauler (Sold to Dad)