2010 - 2015 Camaro Interior, Exterior, Paint & Body, Electronics/Car Audio 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro discussion for body kits, paint and stripe care, seats, dash, gauges, car audio, etc.

[Interior] benchseat rear? 3rd seat belt in rear?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 04:17 PM

Re: benchseat rear? 3rd seat belt in rear?

Could be a good option to help add sales. Otherwise, anyone with three kids, who can't afford the camaro as a third car could be left out.

How much and how hard would it be to make it an option?
Old 10-06-2006, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by posaune
Could be a good option to help add sales. Otherwise, anyone with three kids, who can't afford the camaro as a third car could be left out.

How much and how hard would it be to make it an option?
Keep in mind that those rear 1st gen benches are still Camaro backseats, meaning that getting three humans back there is.....ummm....optimistic. Also, those are simple lap belts, not the more complex lap shoulder belts used today.

Bottom line: Forget anything else other than 2+2 seating.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:25 PM

it wouldn't be for the guy trying to hual around 4 buddies. It is for the young family with three smaller children (most of whom fit in the back of a camaro)
Old 10-06-2006, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by posaune
it wouldn't be for the guy trying to hual around 4 buddies. It is for the young family with three smaller children (most of whom fit in the back of a camaro)
Smaller children require carseats or at least boosters if they're alittle older. Good luck getting three of those back there.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:15 PM

Exactly, you can divide the back into five if you want... You still arent putting two fullsize people back there. There pintsized ones isn't looking good either.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:28 PM

In this day of the MONSTER SUV, I remember the days when a family sedan worked just fine. I have 3 children and we haul them around in the Pontiac Grand Prix GTP with a bench seat and 3 belts (middle is just a lap belt).

I don't subscribe to the Ford Excursion or bigger mentality -- their just small kids, they can buckle in the back with no problems. (12,12 and 8) now, but once they are 15, we have a problem, but then -- it won't matter they'll be driving anyway.

just thinking optimistically about my new camaro..

Brian
Old 10-07-2006, 12:06 AM

Here you go: http://www.camaros.org/interior.shtml

Everything (and more!) you ever wanted to know about 1st gen Iteriors. Or just click on "Seat Belt Options" and go straight to the exciting stuff.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:42 AM

All Camaro's have a fifth seat, it's called the 'hump' Only thing is it doesn't have a seat belt, but a belt isn't required. If one can actualy fit on the hump they are so tightly squeezed against the passenegers on each side and the backs of the front seats that they are secure. The only downside to this seat is rubbing your head on the roof, some people believe the constant friction between the scalp and the carpeted roof leads to premature balding, although GM denies this.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:13 PM

My 67 camaro has a bench seat with 3 seatbelts. I like it like that.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by brianchevy
EDIT: Oh i forgot to mention. Some of you single guys out there might like a bench rear bench seat too.... for other more adult and obvious reasons.... Nookie in the camaro??? oh yeah.

Brian
That's a downward spiral man ... I now understand what led to your current dilemma in the first place . Besides, the front seats recline far enough to do the deed anyway . The back seat of a Camaro will never be on par with some of the more spacious back seats of large sedans, so there's no point trying to make it better anyway .
Old 10-07-2006, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by toegead93
All Camaro's have a fifth seat, it's called the 'hump' Only thing is it doesn't have a seat belt, but a belt isn't required. If one can actualy fit on the hump they are so tightly squeezed against the passenegers on each side and the backs of the front seats that they are secure. The only downside to this seat is rubbing your head on the roof, some people believe the constant friction between the scalp and the carpeted roof leads to premature balding, although GM denies this.
I managed to fit 8 people in my '82 Camaro.

Me driving
2 in the passenger seat
2 in the rear passenger side
2 in the rear driver side
1 in the trunk

LOL I do remember a time or two when someone sat on the hump in the rear.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:50 PM

The 1st gen did have a bench seat but it was nothing more than a box spring. The hump was still there it just came level with the seat so there was just no cusioning over that area so it was flat across. Think fold out sofa with a driveshaft tunnel in your girls back. obviously it could be done. That also means the seat was higher than later gens bringing it closer to the roof.

I tried to make a list of things on the 4th gen(Long Front overhang, Long heavy bulky doors not parkinglot friendly, Windshield covering engine etc.) that I thought added to the car going on hiatus that could be improved. The one complaint I had about the 4th gen that I didnt back up was no usable back seats. I also thought that knee room was better in 1st gen but later realized that 1st gen front seats dont recline. The more I think about it the more I wonder if 4th gen seats were somewhat close to 1st. The only thing is you sit low so its a little awkward. The measurements are close between 1st and 4th. That doesnt mean they cant be improved, I just think that what they come up with will be a good use of the space.

These look pretty good

Old 10-08-2006, 09:03 PM

I really don't care if it's a 2+2 or not. I don't plan on hauling the clan around in the Camaro.

If they bring out the Holden as a V8 RWD sedan, that will be the "family" car. A fun to drive family car.

Some guys will rip all the seat out except for the drivers seat.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by 5thgen69camaro
The 1st gen did have a bench seat but it was nothing more than a box spring. The hump was still there it just came level with the seat so there was just no cusioning over that area so it was flat across. Think fold out sofa with a driveshaft tunnel in your girls back. obviously it could be done. That also means the seat was higher than later gens bringing it closer to the roof.

I tried to make a list of things on the 4th gen(Long Front overhang, Long heavy bulky doors not parkinglot friendly, Windshield covering engine etc.) that I thought added to the car going on hiatus that could be improved. The one complaint I had about the 4th gen that I didnt back up was no usable back seats. I also thought that knee room was better in 1st gen but later realized that 1st gen front seats dont recline. The more I think about it the more I wonder if 4th gen seats were somewhat close to 1st. The only thing is you sit low so its a little awkward. The measurements are close between 1st and 4th. That doesnt mean they cant be improved, I just think that what they come up with will be a good use of the space.

These look pretty good

I agree the rear seats in the Concept are nice looking. And as much as I like how the center console extends back and 'merges' with the rear seats, I highly doubt that would work well if anyone is actually sitting back there.

It restricts the rear passengers abilit to shift and accomodate the front seat being practically touching (or definitely touching) their knees.

And I always liked the 4th Gens seating position, and never had a problem with the long doors myself.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by EllwynX
I agree the rear seats in the Concept are nice looking. And as much as I like how the center console extends back and 'merges' with the rear seats, I highly doubt that would work well if anyone is actually sitting back there.

It restricts the rear passengers abilit to shift and accomodate the front seat being practically touching (or definitely touching) their knees.
agreed. I assumed it was extended to cover the driveshaft tunnel being a show car.

Quick Reply: [Interior] benchseat rear? 3rd seat belt in rear?