CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   2010 - 2015 Camaro Interior, Exterior, Paint & Body, Electronics/Car Audio (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/2010-2015-camaro-interior-exterior-paint-body-electronics-car-audio-114/)
-   -   [Electronics/Car Audio] Backup Camera in Mirror (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/2010-2015-camaro-interior-exterior-paint-body-electronics-car-audio-114/backup-camera-mirror-723963/)

JakeRobb 05-28-2010 02:52 PM

If it's GPS monitored, couldn't you just wire in a switch that cuts power to the GPS receiver, such that the head unit isn't getting a signal from the GPS? If you're watching DVDs, it's not like you'd need the GPS signal anyway. :)

FastandBlue 05-28-2010 06:00 PM

And that's actually what most people with GPS monitored safety devices do, but they can be glitchy, are harder to install, and expensive. They also aren't made for all models of Pioneer. A simple ground is much easier to take care of, but yes, you are right. I think you can buy one on eBay for under $100 depending on the unit, but don't go with a generic one if you go that route.

2010_5thgen 06-01-2010 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb (Post 6376264)
If it's GPS monitored, couldn't you just wire in a switch that cuts power to the GPS receiver, such that the head unit isn't getting a signal from the GPS? If you're watching DVDs, it's not like you'd need the GPS signal anyway. :)

people that have a gps dont constantly have the screen on navigation just because you have it.some times you dont need the navigation on. i know my way home from work. no need to have the nav on. they do make kits for just dvd without navigation. no sense in buying a dvd/nav system and cutting the wire to the nav just to make a lazy install.

2010_5thgen 06-01-2010 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by FastandBlue (Post 6376233)
Okay, cool. So you can get the entire setup easy enough. How are you planning on mounting it?

http://www.shopfesler.com/products/M...252d3010S.html found this same part but through another seller. think its only 200.

JakeRobb 06-01-2010 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen (Post 6378727)
people that have a gps dont constantly have the screen on navigation just because you have it.some times you dont need the navigation on. i know my way home from work. no need to have the nav on. they do make kits for just dvd without navigation. no sense in buying a dvd/nav system and cutting the wire to the nav just to make a lazy install.

I don't see how what you're saying is relevant.

Some DVD-playing head units with GPS prevent the DVD player from operating if the car is in motion according to the GPS. What I was saying is that if it turns out this is the case with the head unit he chooses, he could probably defeat that functionality by wiring in a switch on the GPS antenna's power source.

It has nothing to do with constantly having the screen on navigation or whether you need it or not (in fact, if you're trying to watch a DVD, you certainly don't have it on nav, and you most likely don't need it). It also has nothing to do with a lazy install.

FastandBlue 06-01-2010 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb (Post 6378776)
I don't see how what you're saying is relevant.

Some DVD-playing head units with GPS prevent the DVD player from operating if the car is in motion according to the GPS. What I was saying is that if it turns out this is the case with the head unit he chooses, he could probably defeat that functionality by wiring in a switch on the GPS antenna's power source.

It has nothing to do with constantly having the screen on navigation or whether you need it or not (in fact, if you're trying to watch a DVD, you certainly don't have it on nav, and you most likely don't need it). It also has nothing to do with a lazy install.

Ditto. It's not about whether you are using the GPS or not, the GPS is still tracking your movements. That's why with those units, you need a module.

With the e-brake monitored units, you just GROUND, not snip, a wire.