2010 - 2015 Camaro Interior, Exterior, Paint & Body, Electronics/Car Audio 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro discussion for body kits, paint and stripe care, seats, dash, gauges, car audio, etc.

[Electronics/Car Audio] Backup Camera in Mirror

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 12:34 PM

Backup Camera in Mirror

Does anyone know where I can find a backup camera with the display in the mirror? It would need to be on-star compatible too.

Or has anyone installed a backup camera of any kind? If so, would love to know what you did, what it cost and what you think of it.

Thanks
Old 11-30-2009, 05:21 PM

So. . .I've continued looking. It appears that Gentex Corporation (OEM for many GM mirrors) manufactures an OnStar compatible mirror with a 3.2 inch LCD for a backup camera. MSRP is $479. part# GENK356A

However, I am told that the wiring harness for the Camaro is different from the vehicles that this particular model was manufactured for.

I've got inquiries out to the manufacturer as well as MITO Corp., the distributor, for information on planned availability of a version with the new wiring harness as well as a schematic for direct soldering of the connections.

Again, if anyone has any other input or alternatives, I would appreciate it
Old 05-20-2010, 04:35 PM

I'm looking at this option right now, I know this is a really old thread but I'm hoping someone may have mad some progress.. anyone?
Old 05-21-2010, 06:49 AM

why not buy a dvd nav sysytem and just buy the back up camera option and have it on a huge scrren instead of a little mirror?
Old 05-23-2010, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
why not buy a dvd nav sysytem and just buy the back up camera option and have it on a huge scrren instead of a little mirror?
Ditto. I bought an in dash DVD player, overrode the DVD while driving feature (so now my passengers can watch movies while I drive), and it has NAV, digital TV, Radio, MP3, Bluetooth, Aux, BACKUP CAMERA ENABLED, USB, touch screen, etc etc etc. All the trimmings. It's the way to go, trust me.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by FastandBlue
Ditto. I bought an in dash DVD player, overrode the DVD while driving feature (so now my passengers can watch movies while I drive), and it has NAV, digital TV, Radio, MP3, Bluetooth, Aux, BACKUP CAMERA ENABLED, USB, touch screen, etc etc etc. All the trimmings. It's the way to go, trust me.
which one did you get? i was looking at the pioneer model. not sure which one it was but it did not flip down for the dvd. did you buy the addapter for the steering wheel controls? and everything works good? for the ipod, can you control the songs from the ipdo while its hooked up or it is like in the stock head unit ,where you have to control the ipod through the head?
Old 05-24-2010, 09:40 AM

5thgen:

You know, I didn't get the controls for the steering wheel, but it had it available. Yes, the iPod can be controlled from the head unit's touch screen, or you can play songs off the iPod. Whichever you prefer. The thing is, you have to by separate adapters for the Digital TV, GPS and iPod from their website--so it's a little extra.

I ended up going with a Power Acoustik Motorized Touch Screen. Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/Power-Acoustik...pr_product_top

I'm going to be honest in saying that whenever you do electrical work and unhook your battery, it is hard to get it to open and close the first time after hooking the battery up and you usually have to try a few times. But after that, it works flawlessly in every way. If you really want top of the line, go with Pioneer in-dash, but personally, besides that one open/close glitch after a battery disconnect, I love this thing.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:18 PM

http://www.crispdeals.com/ProductDet...a_7cAVICX920BT this is the one i wanted to go with. kinda like the one in my hummer. no flip down or anything. just load the disc from the top. touch screen. nav, dvd,cd,mp3. id have to buy the mounting kit. i think its 200. for the camaro. and the steering wheel control hook up. i dont know of anything else that is needed to work everything. maybe an ipod hook up. and i might even do the back up camera.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:29 PM

Yeah, that's a sweet setup. I didn't want to spend $1000 on a stereo setup when it could go to speakers instead. Looks like a good setup. One thing to keep in mind is that some head units don't have a simple ground for the e-brake that you can override so you can watch videos while moving (your passengers, of course). You might want to check into what their DVD safety feature is before you buy if you want your passengers to watch DVDs. If it's not a simple ground, it's going to be harder to override.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:43 AM

yeah, ill have to do some research. i had a pioneer avic n4 in my old escalade and never did the override, but it was just simply putting a wire in the open hole in the back and grounding it out. ill have to do some research. i have found this unit on ebay for 750. not too bad. the pioneer web site msrp is like 1300! thats nuts.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:31 PM

Dang, that's a really good deal, then. Yes, just call up Pioneer, give them the model, and ask about how the DVD system safety feature works. They'll tell you straight up if it's an ebrake ground or say, GPS monitored.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:39 AM

hopfeully its just an e brake ground or something easy.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:32 AM

Yeah no kidding. Have you picked out a backup camera yet?

Fred: Did we ever answer your question, buddy?
Old 05-28-2010, 12:12 PM

no. i know pioneer makes one for the nav im looking at though.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:24 PM

Okay, cool. So you can get the entire setup easy enough. How are you planning on mounting it?

Quick Reply: [Electronics/Car Audio] Backup Camera in Mirror