2010 - 2015 Camaro Interior, Exterior, Paint & Body, Electronics/Car Audio 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro discussion for body kits, paint and stripe care, seats, dash, gauges, car audio, etc.

[Electronics/Car Audio] aftermarket radio difficulties????

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 07:20 PM

If there is one part of the interior that I think will definitely change before its all said and done, I think its the radio console. It just looks too generic with too much wasted space - I'd be willing to bet what we're seeing is a place holder. Also, I will be shocked if they don't offer a touch screen nav/radio as an option.. I mean come on, it is going to be a 2010 model.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:36 PM

I don't like the idea of the "control center" and the lack of ability to easily swap out audio may be the downfall for my purchase decision :/.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:27 PM

Every single car I have still has the OEM stereo in it.
No bid deal for me.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:20 PM

Wasnt the tarus was the first car to attempt this? Car stereo enthusiasts avoided it like the plague untill the aftermarket made a bezel for it, then it just looked like crap.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:48 PM

I guess im the only one who's backlights all go out in my OE GM units.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:29 AM

GPS/Bluetooth

Originally Posted by hollyt
From the look of things They will not have the space to make a built in GPS / Radio unit. I know that I could get a Garmin and put it on the dash but I prefer built in units.
This is my concern too. I recently bought a $2500 Navigation/Bluetooth unit that will only fit a double-din opening. I'd hate to lose it. GM really needs to think about this. Has anyone heard anything new?
Old 02-26-2008, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by 4THGEN Z
I never had a reason to change out the 5-speaker Bose setup in my 95Z.
that was a 3 speaker bose system (at least in the 1994's it was)
Old 03-08-2008, 03:26 PM

I don't even use my radio. I should just take it out. Longtubes and a nice exhaust is music enough for me. The radio is the last thing I concern myself with. For me, who cares!
Old 03-12-2008, 07:32 AM

Radio is only for Bang Bang Camaro!! WOOT!! I agree the best sound is the V8, but honestly when I make a long drive I like to play some music or something that gets me in the mood to drive FAST.

Honestly we will see when the production radio comes out, but I get the feeling this car will take some time to grow on me. If it has some crazy mess of junk I might wait to see if they change it up after a couple of years. like 93,94 and 97?
Old 03-12-2008, 07:30 PM

put some headers exhaust and a cam in it and i could listen to that all day but for a long trip i would need 2 listen 2 a radio
Old 12-06-2008, 01:51 AM

Here's an article from Trading Markets.com specifically detailing the 2010 Camaro's audio system design. Check it out before you dismiss the Camaro's premium sound system.

Aug 15, 2008 -- Visteon Corp. and Boston Acoustics said they will deliver refined performance in the audio system that accents the redesigned 2010 Chevrolet Camaro.

The two companies are engineering a premium audio system for the Camaro's re-launch that is tailored to suit the Camaro's legacy -- starting with precision speaker design. Boston Acoustics, creator of The Boston Sound for home stereo systems, is engineering speakers for the Camaro that are robust enough to handle high power and loud play, yet capable of reproducing the finest acoustic details. Powering those speakers is Visteon's high performance and state of the art, DSP amplifier. From there, audio integration engineers from Visteon and Boston Acoustics carefully tailor the equalization to the Camaro's specific interior configurations to accurately reproduce the Boston Sound within the vehicle -- transforming the vehicle into an acoustically ideal soundstage. Fabrics, seat placement and instrument panel materials are just a few of the many variables considered when fine-tuning the quality of sound reproduction for the vehicle's interior.

Offered as an option, the groups noted, the premium Boston Acoustics audio system will allow consumers to hearken back to glory days of Motown or experience the pulsation of today's techno music with digital-signal-processing enhanced sound quality that was unheard of until now.

"Visteon is honored to play such an important role in the redesign of a true classic," said Julie Fream, vice president, Visteon GM customer group. "Using advanced automotive audio technologies, Visteon and Boston Acoustics are creating a polished, dimensional sound stage that will provide as powerful an impact as the re-introduction of this iconic vehicle. This is truly a sports car for the 21st century."

"We are pleased that GM has introduced The Boston Sound to its vehicle in North America, and we know that the Camaro and Boston Acoustics will make beautiful music together," said Michael J. Maloney, president of D&M Holdings OEM, Global Marketing Group, which includes the Boston Acoustics brand. "As consumers raise their expectations for great sound in their vehicles, Boston Acoustics is ready to meet those demands," he said.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:32 AM

So any news on this subject now that the cars are out there?
I would imagine that this would be difficult for the aftermarket because of all the things tied in with the head unit. On my 2004 Cavalier I had to buy a $100 kit to keep the computer happy. It makes it so I still have the chimes and keeps the computer happy. The guys at the audio shop told me that even on my car that the computer needs to think that the factory unit is there to keep things working correctly.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:29 AM
Admin Emeritus

There are so many things controlled by the 2010 Camaro head unit it is not even funny. Everything from choosing to have the horn honk when you lock the car with the remote to the Bluetooth pairing, etc.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:00 AM

It doesn't seem but 5 years ago, in most GM products the radios were nothing more than general "parts bin" after thoughts, now it seems when they design the dashes in these new cars, the radio is designed in to it. Not like before when the radio in a 99 Camaro looks a whole lot like the one you'll find in the same year Vette, Malibu, Tahoe and Blazer.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:51 PM

like how u can make calls from the radio took my lunch break at work today n called work to talk to my supervisor lol

Quick Reply: [Electronics/Car Audio] aftermarket radio difficulties????