Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

What shocks/struts to get????

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 06:01 PM

Question What shocks/struts to get????

I'm getting the eibach pro-kit springs. Do i need to get a shock/strut that is shorter than the stock ones??? Clueless when it comes to this stuff. I'm on a budget but also don't want some cheapy generic brand either.
What do you all recommend??????
Old 10-14-2005, 07:55 PM

Re: What shocks/struts to get????

Re-valved Bilsteins or Koni SAs are the proper way to go with lowering springs.. www.stranoparts.com

Some with tell you regular Bilstein HDs, but Bilstein themselves say those aren't suitable for lowering springs.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by ZaneO
Re-valved Bilsteins or Koni SAs are the proper way to go with lowering springs.. www.stranoparts.com

Some with tell you regular Bilstein HDs, but Bilstein themselves say those aren't suitable for lowering springs.
Where do i get the re-valved Bilsteins at. I went to this website and all i found were the HD's.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:29 PM

They are listed on the site. Either way, you'll need to contact Sam Jr. at Strano to discuss your valving options, needs, etc.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:40 AM

You could always get the Bilstein/Eibach package from SLP. The front shocks are already re-valved for the Eibach springs. If your planning on autocrossing or drive the car really hard on the street, then give Sam Strano a call.

I run Hotchkis springs and SLP Bilsteins right now. I don't autocross or push the car to the limits on the street. I am still in the drag racing mod, so I felt the SLP Bilsteins were fine with my set-up. Probably in the future (when cash is avail) I will have Sam revalve a new set of bilsteins for me.

Last edited by javaradd; 10-18-2005 at 02:54 AM.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by javaradd
You could always get the Bilstein/Eibach package from SLP. The front shocks are already re-valved for the Eibach springs. If your planning on autocrossing or drive the car really hard on the street, then give Sam Strano a call.

I run Hotchkis springs and SLP Bilsteins right now. I don't autocross or push the car to the limits on the street. I am still in the drag racing mod, so I felt the SLP Bilsteins were fine with my set-up. Probably in the future (when cash is avail) I will have Sam revalve a new set of bilsteins for me.
You *could* do that.... Of course then you are still using shocks not valved properly for the job. In this case the rear shocks are still standard Bilstein HD's, and while the fronts are revalved, they are done so *SLP's* Eibach springs, which in now way resemble Eibach Pro-kit springs for either the LT1 or LS1 cars, or the Hotchkis springs. In short, a mis-match still. Further they take compression damping away from the front shocks too....

Are SLP shocks cheaper? Yes, because they are mass produced since there is but one setting. When we take them and change them, the shocks are valved for individual setups and combinations. That can't be done on a production line and hence costs a little more.

Just some things to ponder.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by javaradd

I said "You could always get the Bilstein/Eibach package from SLP." I never said get the SLP Bilsteins for eibach pro-kit springs.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:24 PM

So you did... I was focusing more on the SLP's with the Hotchkis.

But in all honestly, the SLP level 1 package is inferior to running Koni's with stock springs on the lower perch. The lowering amount is about the same if that's what he's after, but the Koni's offer a LOT better damping control and the means to adjust it.