Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Stupid question about ABS Lines, big brakes...

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 07:29 PM

Stupid question about ABS Lines, big brakes...

OK, let the flames begin...

I have a 1996 Z28 that I have had taken apart for a couple of years. I bought new lines for the entire car to replace while I had it apart. Unfortunately I have ran into a problem...

I FORGOT WHERE THE LINES CONNECT on the ABS unit!

My kit with the brake lines is able to connect to several different places on the ABS unit, and bending is 'required' because the kit was bent to fit in a shipping box.

There are 4 connections toward the drivers fender, which I believe is where it goes, but which one? I have an Alldatadiy for the car, and it does not show.
I've tried the internet, shbox (whom I donate to ocassionally) and nothing I can find show which lines go where.

I assume the regular ABS system will work with aftermarket brakes? I have a Baer big brake kit with larger rotors and caliper/pistons, front and back.
I have read dozens of threads of pro vs con of ABS delete. When I drive my car I DRIVE it on the track or quarter mile and don't need ABS. However, while using as my daily driver I don't think about 'what if's' as much and I have had the ABS kick in and I needed it, such when I'm approaching a light that just turned green and some A**hole runs the other direction through on a red.
I am in favor of keeping my ABS unless there is a compelling reason otherwise.
I already have a S-60 axle ready to go in with the ABS option, and money is not really an issue for keeping the ABS.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:33 PM
Administrator

Re: Stupid question about ABS Lines, big brakes...

If it's ABS ONLY (not ABS+ASR) you may find this helpful:

Courtesy of Shoebox - hopefully 95 and 96 are similar.

http://shbox.com/1/brake_pipes_frt.jpg

http://shbox.com/1/brake_pipes_rr.jpg
Old 10-13-2012, 08:51 PM

Thanks. It is close but I can't make out which lines are which.

However, I FOUND the plastic cover for the ABS unit, which DOES have FR, FL and RR clearly imprinted on it. So I am good to go, I'm just debating the whole ABS delete thing.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:09 PM

Losing ABS was sort of decided for me mostly from the fact that it never ever worked that I know of. The piddly stock brakes never stopped the car hard enough to break the tires loose, and the car never really got driven in rain or snow, so my only experience with it was when it malfunctioned and my car didn't stop when it should have. I originally tried to keep it when I replaced the rear end, I paid extra for the reluctor. Some time after I installed my line lock, I just decided to remove it and install a proportioning valve, and never looked back. I do not daily drive my car, though.