Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Someone hit my car, cant figure out what is wrong.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 07:13 AM

Someone hit my car, cant figure out what is wrong.

I was hit on the passenger side right around the wheel the other night coming home. I was able to drive the car home but it was pulling pretty hard. When I looked at it there was some real negative camber on the passenger side. I took the wheel off and structurally speaking, I can't find anything that sticks out at me. Doesn't look like anything is bent or buckled anywhere. The steering knuckle is basically resting on the shock and the tire was rubbing against one of the castle nuts towards the upper control arm.

Talking to my friend he said he would replace the steering knuckle, upper control arm and the wheel bearing to be safe. I also need to replace my tie rod ends because they were already bad. I'll try to upload a picture in a couple minutes but I was wondering if you guys thought I should go ahead and order those parts or if you think its possible that this guy just knocked my alignment out of whack.

Thanks in advance

edit* heres pictures

Name:  IMAG0352.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  67.3 KB
outside showing the negative camber. And generally where I was hit

Name:  IMAG0353.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  72.9 KB
the knuckle on the shock. and you can see the pieces of tire that were rubbed off on the castle nut

Name:  IMAG0355.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  67.3 KB
just another general picture I took

Its hard to get good pictures from inside the wheel well but hopefully those show something..
Old 07-25-2012, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Re: Someone hit my car, cant figure out what is wrong.

Comparing your photos with a similar pic of my undamaged front suspension it appears the upper part of the knuckle is bent inwards. Hard to believe it could bend like that without cracking. I would have a body shop check for damage to the upper shock tower. The clearance between the upper control arm and spring appears to be reduced from my photo but hard to tell since taken from a different angle.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:30 PM

I agree with injuneer. The knuckles bend quite easily in accidents. Hard to tell if they are bent by looking at them. I recently had the same problem after buying some used parts for an ls1 brake upgrade.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:23 PM

an alignment will be the final determiner, but i'd imagine the wheel is bent and will need repair, the knuckle, and a hub. may be looking at control arms, inner/outer tierods, and stabilizer bar/bar endlink.