Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

93 z28 rear endlink/bushing install help

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 01:22 PM

Question 93 z28 rear endlink/bushing install help

Replacing 93 z28 rear "sway bar" endlink/bushing is easy job - just need some tips.
I read I can replace these with tires on the ground. IF I can reach to get at the top endlink nut off/on.
If not, do I raise vehicle by axel or frame? I ask because I noticed during rear shock replacement that the endlink grommets become seperated on one side because the suspension is dropped. Any advice on how to do this properly is appreciated.

I am aware to loosly hand tighten the bushing c-clamps while einstalling endlinks and only tighten these as last step.

PS - unrelated but with 86K mi original shocks one can barely push the rear end down to shock test. Just put on Monroe SensaTrac becuase their Co Tech told me are OE specs. With these monroes you can bounce that rear end with ease. Not impressed at the moment & concerned about performance/handling.

Last edited by Z28_4ever; 08-17-2013 at 03:18 PM.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Re: 93 z28 rear endlink/bushing install help

You are asking about the sway bar (stabilizer shaft) end links and bushings, plus sway bar support bushings?

I can't see any reason you need to install these with the tires on the ground. Jack the car any way that is convenient, install the end links/bushings and support bushings, then lower it with the rear axle supported on jackstands while you tighten the end links to specified torque. The clamps for the support bushings have a notch and only fit in one position. The bar should rotate smoothly in the bushings. The end links torque spec should allow the end of the sway bar to pivot up and down, and allow the angle the bar makes with the end links to change.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:20 PM

Re: 93 z28 rear endlink/bushing install help

Correct. I mean Rear "anti-swaybar" endlinks and also those support bushings at the c-clamps.

Thanks for the quick response and I've edited my post to make it clearer.

PS - my main motivation for replacing these parts with tires on ground was to avoid the need to jack the car up and
also needing to borrow jack stands. I read some guy claimed to have done it this way.

Last edited by Z28_4ever; 08-17-2013 at 03:26 PM.