Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

LT1 vs LS1 Rear Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 09:54 PM

LT1 vs LS1 Rear Brakes

whats the stopping power difference betweent the too?

Long story short, I have lt1 brakes set up on my 12 bolt and the ls1 brakes still sitting on my 10 bolt, dont really feel like pulling the axles and whatnot

again, this is REAR BRAKES whats the difference in stopping power?
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/suspen...t1-brakes.html
Old 12-24-2008, 08:20 AM

I have not experienced the difference myself but most have said its not noticeable. Your rotor size goes up 1inch... your rear braking power is about 25% of your total braking.... So you'll see a small gain on the 25%... I would do it to fill the inside rim up with more rotor to make the car look better but I doubt you'll "feel" any gain
Old 12-24-2008, 02:17 PM

pulling the axles is jsut a PITA.. im still int he process of swapping tghe rears (taking a break for the holidays) so they're both sitting in my garage but i realy just dont want to swap them over... i think ill jsut leave the lt1s in the rear and leave it be...
Old 12-24-2008, 04:22 PM

if you ever experience brake fade at a high speed you may wish you had that extra inch of rotor in the rear. just my 2 cents though.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:45 PM

greatskiiiier:
I looked into this when I upgraded my brakes. I thought it was a 1" increase in the back, but it's not. It's a little less than 1/2" with ~1/4" in width. Certainly an increase mass for the heat sink but with the LS1 using some of the rotor casting at the hat for the e-brake drum I don't know if there is any increase in swept area for the pads. You've got them both there, perhaps you could tell us about the swept area. (I decided not to put LS1 hardware out back but do intend to put a set of Powerslots in the back with the HPS pads in the spring)
-----------------------------------------
Powerslot rotors
LT1 rear rotor:
Part Number: PSR-8249PSR
Intended for Street Use: Yes
For Use with Stock Calipers: Yes
Rotor Construction: Vented
Rotor Style: Slotted surface
Rotor Outside Diameter (in): 11.540 in.
Rotor Thickness (in): 0.787 in.
LS1 rear rotor:
Part Number: PSR-8265PSR
Intended for Street Use: Yes
For Use with Stock Calipers: Yes
Rotor Construction: Vented
Rotor Style: Slotted surface
Rotor Outside Diameter (in): 12.010 in.
Rotor Thickness (in): 1.022 in.
----------------------------------------
Old 12-24-2008, 06:51 PM

I put powerslot slotted rotor's on my 95 Z28 with Hawk ceramic pad's and im pretty sure it stop's better than an LS1 setup.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:11 PM

The parking brake setup is wayyyyy better in the LS1 rear. It uses the internal drum and holds really good. The LT1 parking brake sux ***. Prolly more important if you have a M6 car though.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:28 PM

The LT1 E-Brake setup just uses the rear disc brakes versus an internal drum. If you pull the e-brake lever up high enough the holding power is just fine. When I park on a hill I will put it into first gear though just to be safe.

I recently put ATE PremiumOne Slotted Rotors on my LT1's rears and Hawk Performance Ceramic Pads (both from tirerack.com) and the stopping power increase was actually very noticeable, and I have the Baer track kit up front, so I already had decent stopping power. Make sure to bleed all the calipers too.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by hotheadbuddy
if you ever experience brake fade at a high speed you may wish you had that extra inch of rotor in the rear. just my 2 cents though.
If you are braking hard enough to get brake fade, better/worse rear brakes aren't going to be your concern, trust me .

The fronts do pretty much everything. The back just keep the car in a straight line.

I have both an '02 Z28 (street car) and a '93 Z28 (road race car). The '02 has (obviously) LS1 brakes. It stops really well, especially with track pads (on the front only) but the rears work SO well, that under heavy braking, the rears will lock up and induce wicked wheel hop . The '93 has 13" 'Vette brakes on the front, and stock LT1 brakes on the back. It HAD race pads on all 4 corners, until I started getting wicked wheel hop with it too. So I put street brakes on the back, and now it works perfectly.

My point? Stock LT1 rear brakes are MORE than adequate to haul down the car. LS1 rears are over-kill, even in stock, street form. The fronts are the most important, and LS1 fronts are certainly better than LT1 fronts .
Old 10-21-2016, 12:40 PM

Re: LT1 vs LS1 Rear Brakes

Bringing back the old stuff! I have LS1 brakes on the front and need to replace the lines as the LT1 lines are too short. I was looking at 98+ kits, but it looks like the lines in the rear are different. What is the difference in the brake line routing between the LT1 and LS1?