Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

94 z28 front suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 02:02 PM

94 z28 front suspension

I have been tossing some ideas around in my head on what route for the suspension on the Z28.
Plans are
UMI Performance Stage 4 Front Kit
Spohn F/R Sway bar set
As for the rear suspension i am unsure of the route i should go. Any suggestions ????
the car is going to be a street car with the occasional(sp?) WOT.

Since this is a project i am starting on the foundation before everything else.

also i have some ? on front and rear brakes. i will be replacing everything from master cylinder/brake booster/lines/pads/rotors/calipers. any suggestions on pads/rotors/calipers?
i plan on sticking with factory booster and master cylinder.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:51 PM

Re: 94 z28 front suspension

Give Sam Strano (Strano Performance Parts - Parts Catalog) a call. He campaigned a 4th Gen to a number of national scca autocross championships so he really knows what is needed to make these cars handle corners (drag racing, not so much.) He has his own springs, sway bars and a few other items, as well as a variety of package deals for suspension. Also take the time to get him on the phone and discuss what you want out of the car, he hands out loads of free advice, well worth the effort.

As far as brakes go, the LS (or C5, if you are going to run 17" wheels) front upgrade is the most cost-effective brake upgrade. I have done quite a bit to my suspension (the only stock item I have left is the torque arm) and I think the better brakes (LS as I have stock wheels) was the best bang for the buck upgrade I did. After that I would say shocks/springs, then all the other stuff (sway bar, watts link, control arms, etc.)
Old 10-23-2012, 01:41 PM

Re: 94 z28 front suspension

That UMI kit is for drag cars, the shocks are not really what you want for a good handling street car. If you feel you really need to replace the k-member, get their road race version. It has additional bracing that makes it more appropriate for a road car.

I agree with pgerst, call Sam. He'll steer you in the right direction. Your list will likely look very different afterwards. And his swaybars are the best ones for 4th gens.