LS1 Based Engine Tech LS1 / LS6 / LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Engine Tech

Jet-Hot LS1 headers & Y-pipe - INSTALLED!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2003, 04:03 PM
Admin Emeritus

Thumbs up Jet-Hot LS1 headers & Y-pipe - INSTALLED!!

As many of you know, I got a set of Jet-Hot LT headers a little while ago. I finally managed to get them put on yesterday.

Here's the skinny.

We liked how the headers looked as far as design and finsh. Like most of you, we were concerned about them being so affordable. They were quite surprised.

We did a baseline dyno run and got 317 hp @ 5600 RPM and torque was 329 @ 4600 RPM. Keep in mind, the dyno we used measures rear wheel horsepower, and not flywheel horsepower like some other kinds of dynos use.

Once we got that done, we started the install. It went pretty well overall. It was a bit of work to get the driver side in, but a little moving things around the engine bay with a pry bar helped a bit.

The fit of the headers themselves were perfect. Not too tight, not too low, no problems with the K-member as some have
reported. The connecting pipe that goes between the driver's side header and the Y-pipe was another story. It was pretty tight against the floorpan...basically touching it. Once we got the Y-pipe on and connected everything up, there was a little bit of clearance but not enough to be comfortable. We did some adjusting and made some clearance as best as we could and buttoned everything up.

The tech pulled out LS1 Edit and made some necessary changes to the PCM such as the removal of the EGR, AIR etc. We also turned off skip shift entirely so the light doesn't even come on any more. I added the skip shift resistor trick a long time ago but that doesn't stop the light from coming on. However, we did not change the tune at all. We left the stock performance tune in to see what just the headers would do.

Back on the dyno it went, and the first pull this time was our best...

331 hp @ 5400 RPM and torque was 337 @ 4600 RPM. Again, this is at the rear wheels. For those who don't have time to do the math, adding headers & y-pipe and removing the cats gained us 14 RWHP and 8 torque (16 flywheel hp). If I remember right, at one point in the powerband we gained 18 rwhp (around 20 flywheel hp), just not at peak. Not a bad increase, and is about on par with what other people have been getting with various kinds of long tube heasers on an LS1. Overall, I was pretty happy with that since the car is not broken in yet (less than 2k miles) and we didn't even go into the main program. If you want to be REALLY optimistic about it, using a 15% driveline loss factor, my car is now making 380 hp at the flywheel.

Driving home was fun...and a little louder. With the SLP exhaust that came with the car it can be a bit raspy at times but overall sounds pretty good. I am considering going with the Hooker muffler as suggested by many people here later on. Overall, it is not that bad. I would say it is only 5% louder during regular driving, if that. No drone, nothing like that. When I really hammer it, I can feel that connecting pipe bump the floor but we wil fix that later. I can also tell there is more power there. We are going to do some tuning later in the year and see how much more power we can get out of it. Overall I am pretty happy with it. They look damn good in the bay and they are relatively inexpensive. I'll see if I can get some pics and maybe a more in depth article of the install up, but until then you can see a couple of videos of the dyno pulls.

Video of dyno pull with stock manifolds
Video of dyno pull with Jet-Hot Headers &Y-Pipe, no cats

Right click and save both to your hard drive, and the listen to them back-to-back.

If you are thinking about getting them, they are clearly not a bad choice at all.

Of course, your mileage may vary!
Old 06-29-2003, 09:17 PM

You need to put some miles on that garage queen!

What kind of "adjusting" did you have to do? Would somebody be able to easily install these at home?

The Jet Hot coating is inside and out right?
Old 06-30-2003, 07:09 AM

Jason, did the y-pipe come with it or did you get another brand aftermarket y-pipe?
Old 06-30-2003, 09:13 AM

Very cool Jay.. now drive the bitch
Old 06-30-2003, 01:00 PM

Talking

Originally posted by PhantomTA
Old 06-30-2003, 01:10 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally posted by PhantomTA
Actually, I am thinking about tearing it completely apart and then putting it back together in my basement.
Old 06-30-2003, 04:14 PM

Sounds Good Jason, now get some track times
Old 06-30-2003, 07:40 PM

Sweet.

It's probably running pretty rich right now so after some tuning, you should see some additional power.
Old 06-30-2003, 09:56 PM

M6 or A4? Sounds like some good results. Looking into these and dropping my qtp order, 3 months is just too much with this cam sitting in my closet waiting.
Old 07-01-2003, 08:41 AM
Admin Emeritus

Originally posted by 2002Z28SSConv
You need to put some miles on that garage queen!
I put some miles on it last night. Opened it up pretty decent on the highway as well.

What kind of "adjusting" did you have to do?
Some prying and hammering. It still bumps the floorpan HARD when I get on it. I have to adjust it again.

Would somebody be able to easily install these at home?
I wouldn't recommend it unless you are very good with this sort of thing. It is best to have a lift and a good supply of tools and experience. If you have all that, it takes 4-8 hours. Just my opinion.

The Jet Hot coating is inside and out right?
Yep.

Originally posted by silv3rsw33t
Jason, did the y-pipe come with it or did you get another brand aftermarket y-pipe?
When I ordered it from Jet-Hot, I also ordered the Y-pipe. It was actually a Hooker Y-pipe for what I needed.

Originally posted by 96SFLZ
It's probably running pretty rich right now so after some tuning, you should see some additional power.
Yes, it is running very rich. When I fire it up in the garage with eht door closed, the fumes are pretty strong.

Originally posted by redz_02
M6 or A4? Sounds like some good results. Looking into these and dropping my qtp order, 3 months is just too much with this cam sitting in my closet waiting.
M6. Like the f-body, these headers are a damn fine bang for the buck.
Old 07-01-2003, 09:00 AM

Originally posted by JasonD
Actually, I am thinking about tearing it completely apart and then putting it back together in my basement.
Does Val know about this?
Old 07-01-2003, 03:45 PM

Cool

Originally posted by 2002Z28SSConv
Would somebody be able to easily install these at home?
Like Jason said, if you are not that experianced, then have a shop do it. I have installed three sets (two Hooker LTs, and one Jet-Hots), mine in my driveway by myself, a friend's in his garage, and another (the Jet-Hots) on a lift ... as well as remvoing (and now reinstalling) my Hooker LTs. And yes, all those times it took roughly 8 hours to complete ... and I used common hand tools and jack stands. Modification to your air tubes is required, unless you use '98-99 air tubes on '00-'02 cars.
Old 07-02-2003, 12:22 PM

Originally posted by MRZ28HO
Like Jason said, if you are not that experianced, then have a shop do it. I have installed three sets (two Hooker LTs, and one Jet-Hots), mine in my driveway by myself, a friend's in his garage, and another (the Jet-Hots) on a lift ... as well as remvoing (and now reinstalling) my Hooker LTs. And yes, all those times it took roughly 8 hours to complete ... and I used common hand tools and jack stands. Modification to your air tubes is required, unless you use '98-99 air tubes on '00-'02 cars.
Actually Jet Hot makes a setup for the '01 and '02 cars. They bolted right up to my AIR tubes and didn't have to block off any EGR stuff. We did them in Ryan's (96-speed) driveway and they only took about 4-5 hours. Not too shabby if you ask me. And we also changed the driver's side motor mount to a poly, which took about an hour to 1.5 hours of that. Not too hard of a job I think.
Old 07-02-2003, 07:54 PM

Like the f-body, these headers are a damn fine bang for the buck.
Very.

Nice post. All the information I was gonna ask but got answered beforehand Nice car.

P.S. Not sure how much different it would be but I installed my Longtubes and I have never even changed brakes before. I just gathered some info and dug in. Took me 1.5 days of takin my time and making sure I got everything right the first time.