2010 - 2015 Camaro Interior, Exterior, Paint & Body, Electronics/Car Audio 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro discussion for body kits, paint and stripe care, seats, dash, gauges, car audio, etc.

[Electronics/Car Audio] aftermarket radio difficulties????

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 11:34 AM

aftermarket radio difficulties????

It may just be me, but the factory radio shown on the pics will offer difficulties for custom/aftermarket radio replacement. It is oddly shaped and appears to be limited in functions. Everybody knows that camaro factory radios are notorious for being a piece of s*&t. Any thoughts or inside info of what the sound system will be?????
Old 01-23-2008, 12:08 PM

Was there a head unit installed, in those pix? Frankly - it's very difficult to tell. It seems to me, the smart thing to do is to wait until the production cars are out in showrooms before trying to conclude anything.

What's this about Camaro OEM stereos being no good? I beg to differ... IMHO they (especially from about 1997 on) have been pretty doggone good, for the price point the 4gens lived in
Old 01-23-2008, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by BigDarknFast
What's this about Camaro OEM stereos being no good? I beg to differ... IMHO they (especially from about 1997 on) have been pretty doggone good, for the price point the 4gens lived in
It's kind of funny, I actually much prefer my 3-speaker Bose setup in my old 1994 Z28 to the Monsoon system in my '01. IMO, they went backwards on that one.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:36 PM

While we don't know what exactly the final radio will be or look like in the 5th gen, I can tell you this beyond all certainty that it will NOT be an easy swap like an old Delco. It will most likely be integrated with the climate controls, be shaped to fit better with the contours of the dash (or be part of the dash itself like the new CTS), and will be packaged in such a way that what's on the dash board is simply buttons, a CD player, and a circuit board. The radio tuner, amplifier, and other components will most likely be integrated into the BCM or other locations in the vehicle. GM has been moving away from the "insert radio here" design for a few years now. Cars like the Aura, CTS, Malibu, Lambda SUVs, and even some GMT-900 trucks have radio designs that integrate into the design of the dash and electronics of the vehicle far more intracately than any of their older radio designs.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:53 PM
Admin Emeritus

I have a similar fear myself, actually. As mentioned, I am waiting for the final production details to emerge, but my plans are up in the air as to what I will wind up doing. As also mentioned, it may very well be integrated into the rest of the vehicle. In that case, I can only hope that the aftermarket will embrace that and offer products that do the same or better. It is starting to get there with that sort of thing, but slowly IMO.

We'll see what happens but it is definitely an area of valid concern for me.

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
It's kind of funny, I actually much prefer my 3-speaker Bose setup in my old 1994 Z28 to the Monsoon system in my '01. IMO, they went backwards on that one.
I think the same. I had the 5 speaker Bose in my 1996 and the Monsoon in my 2002. I liked the Bose better.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by JasonD
I have a similar fear myself, actually. As mentioned, I am waiting for the final production details to emerge, but my plans are up in the air as to what I will wind up doing. As also mentioned, it may very well be integrated into the rest of the vehicle. In that case, I can only hope that the aftermarket will embrace that and offer products that do the same or better. It is starting to get there with that sort of thing, but slowly IMO.

We'll see what happens but it is definitely an area of valid concern for me.
It's a legitimate concern, especially for an enthusiast car like the Camaro. I believe the aftermarket will respond nicely, if there is demand... and the 2008 aftermarket is MUCH more capable at delivering very nice solutions, compared to say, ten years ago. CAD designs and modern manufacturing make it possible for them to release some very nice fits and products, as appropriate and as the market demands.

My one hesitation though - I think demand will be a big function of the OEM equipment. It's gotten a lot better too, as I'm sure folks here are aware. Once we know the final production specs and features, I've a feeling a huge majority are going to be quite satisfied with the factory stuff as is.

My first new car was a 1983 Citation X11. OEM head units were an utter joke in those days. In the 11 years I owned that car, I installed and blew out three aftermarket stereos and an embarrassing number of speakers ...but today, I've not even entertained the thought of fiddling with the 6-disk XM/FM stereo in my GP GXP. Aside from the integration with the HUD (and nav in some variants)... it really does deliver very good sound

Last edited by BigDarknFast; 01-24-2008 at 05:35 AM.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by BigDarknFast
Was there a head unit installed, in those pix? Frankly - it's very difficult to tell. It seems to me, the smart thing to do is to wait until the production cars are out in showrooms before trying to conclude anything.

Yes, having an lt1 means the bose speakers were inferior.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by Mike got a camaro
Yes, having an lt1 means the bose speakers were inferior.
Sorry but I disagree.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:13 AM

....it was sarcasm.?
Old 01-25-2008, 08:56 AM

Having the Head-Unit tied into the dash design and including Climate Control Functions is nothing new these days, it's actually quite common in 2005+ cars.

JL Audio has come out with the CleanSweep

Basically integrates the standard Head Unit into Aftermarket Amp and Speaker setups. I've seen it advertised for around $300 - $325 locally, so not a whole lot more than a decent Head-Unit, and you'll keep the full functionality of the original Head-Unit, while gaining aftermarket sound.

So no real worries in my mind.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:10 AM
Admin Emeritus

Yep, that is what I was referring to in my post #5 above...

Here's a decent selection of something like that...
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...318850&tp=6870

Or on a simpler level for the basics...
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...GMOS01&tp=3486

MTX, Alpine, Rockford Fosgate, JL audio...yep, no worries! I stand my my repetitive statements that the aftermarket will seriously embrace this car.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:34 AM

Well now that I got an ipod for Christmas, as long as it has decent speakers, amplification and an ipod port, I'll be happy.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:44 AM

I never had a reason to change out the 5-speaker Bose setup in my 95Z.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:03 AM

From the look of things They will not have the space to make a built in GPS / Radio unit. I know that I could get a Garmin and put it on the dash but I prefer built in units.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:52 PM

Agreed. The thing that gets me is that GM still seems to be pushing the On-Star option for turn by turn directions. I've yet to see a reponse from anyone that they would use this service. The argument always breaks down into two camps: One that will get a Garmin, and the ones who hate nav systems altogether. There is never a camp for the On-Star option. The other On-Star features are a great service, but I wish GM would drop turn by turn and just make a true nav system an option for the Camaro. Those who want it can get it, those who don't, don't have to.

-Bart

Quick Reply: [Electronics/Car Audio] aftermarket radio difficulties????