N2O Tech Discussion for the use of Nitrous Oxide

Spraying a wet-shot close to IAT sensor

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 12:34 PM

Spraying a wet-shot close to IAT sensor

Hey guys......Anyone ever hear of any weird issues spraying a "wet" shot into an IAT sensor??(or in SUPER close proximity,anyway) ........ Reason I'm asking: I've had my IAT sensor re-located into the cooler (less heat soaked)section of my RAM-Air intakes tube,(even before I've ever had nitrous on the car).... which of-course hasn't been "at all" close to my NX shark nozzle that's mounted in the "aft"-portion of the aluminum MAF housing(IE: not spraying into the Maf).........We'll long story short(LOL), the grommet holding my IAT sensor in the Ram-air intake tube, split last week and I've had to "just temporarily" plug it in back into the factory location which is about 1 inch away from the shark nozzle....Now the nitrous/fuel stream isn't hitting it directly or anything, but I'm sure it's freezing the hell out of the IAT sensor when spraying....and I'm not sure what the fuel itself could be doing to it as well.........Just wondering if anyone had any guesses for why my regular 150 shot (that I run on the street) feels MUCH softer with the IAT mounted this way? ............ I just thought that the IAT being "super chilled" would simply tell the PCM not to pull any timing out, Just the opposite as it would if the air was "in varying degrees" hotter......is it the fuel in the wet shot that's causing something else weird with it??....................thanks...........Joe

Last edited by Joe B; 05-18-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:36 PM

i have mine mounted about 3 inches away from the IAT sensor and was also wondering the same thing i havnt sprayed it yet
Old 06-07-2010, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by blackedoutZ
i have mine mounted about 3 inches away from the IAT sensor and was also wondering the same thing i havnt sprayed it yet
We'll, (In my described situation) I'm not sure exactly what the nitrous and fuel getting sprayed into my IAT sensor was doing (thru the PCM) to cause the performance loss.... but after getting another grommet for my IAT sensor(to replace the cracked one), and putting my IAT back in the Ram-Air intake tube(where it has been for years), VERY VERY far away from my Shark Nitrous Nozzle.....The difference when spraying is night and day....Power is back 100%...... I've heard that the IAT on these year LT1's only have the ability to control some timing pull, and not make fuel changes like some other cars PCM's can & will...... The only other thing I can think of is that the spray pattern from my shark nozzle, was somehow being disrupted "pretty severly" by the IAT sensor(and it's mount), enough so that the nitrous and fuel atomization was affected enough to kill some of the power off..... when I get some free time here soon, I will definitely be trial and erroring these situations while data-logging the car, so I can maybe get a better clue as to what is happening when spraying in that close of proximity, OR "into" the IAT sensor............Joe

Last edited by Joe B; 06-07-2010 at 11:07 AM.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:25 AM
Administrator

If the IAT gets cold enough (less than -40*), the resistance will be high enough to set a code. Who knows what the PCM does when it see what appears to be a failed IAT sensor?