Midwest Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, and Wisconsin

I NEED HELP ASAP HELP ADVISE QUICK!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2002, 02:05 AM

Post I NEED HELP ASAP HELP ADVISE QUICK!!!

i sold and set of speakers and amps to a guy and he is happy with the amps but is quite unhappy with the speakers says the speakers have holes in them and are ripped to hell. i know for a fact that the speakers were not ripped when i sent them i dont have pics of the speakers prior to sending them just my word.. he also called threatning to call the cops in his town saying that i ripped him off and he wants 300 bucks back well i called to where i bought them new and they sell for 120 a piece brand new.. i also talked to the local cops in my town and they say that since he took the shipment he is responsible for that and i emailed him back and told him exactly what the cop said and he says i am full of **** and he is pressing charges.. all my friends that sell stuff on the internet say there is nothing he can do.. i dont wana get in trouble here but he wont return my emails since today when he says i have been informed not to talk to u.. i am trying to do this adult like but he wont seem to help me out. i called his phone but he all of a sudden changed his number i guess since it wont ring or do anything.. i just plan am sick of people being stupid on here and wana some what make this right with the guy if he will let me but i will not send him 300 back since the speakers arnt even worth that new and they are used so they are worth less then what i paid for them new.. what should i do?? please help me thanks
Old 07-26-2002, 06:04 AM

so why not have him return all the stuff and give him full refund(Id do COD only though)? thats what Id do. how much did he pay for the speakers? why does he think they are worth $300 if he didnt pay that much for them? why didnt you get shipping ins. when shipping fragile stuff? also, if your worried about charges being pressed, then send him certified mail that needs his sig. to get (and keep a copy for yourself) offering him refund for ALL of the transaction. I think that if he ignores that, then there's no way they could make charges stick. then, you could counter sue for your lost wages and court costs and such. good luck chris
Old 07-26-2002, 06:22 AM

I would just ride it out. I don't think much will come of it, especially since he is trying to recover money damages nearly 3 times the value of the speakers. Just be straight up if anyone does come asking questions. It's a small enough amount of money that you have no fear of going to jail. If you sincerely sent him that stuff in good condition, and he is just being difficult, the courts will be able to see that.
Like I said, let it ride. If he has changed his phone number and stopped answering emails, then maybe he has moved. Does it seem rational to you to hire a lawyer, change your phone number, etc all over a set of $120 speakers? Me either.
Old 07-26-2002, 09:53 AM

Well, as Chris stated above, you could offer him a full refund, but whats to say he won't punch holes in the perfect speakers that you sent and send them back to you? It sounds like this @zzhole is trying to get something for nothing, and unfortunately with internet sales you will get the occassional crook that will scam you in the manner this guys trying.

I say let it go. Next time make the buyer pay for shipping insurance and make sure you get it! If anything is wrong then you aren't liable. Also maybe take pics of the items as your packaging them. It would be a little cheap insurance there too just to cover your azz.

Good luck....
Old 07-26-2002, 11:19 AM

hey thanks guys
Old 07-26-2002, 07:04 PM

Angry

WARNING... be careful of bad advice!
Do what you feel is the right thing! By the way... UPS will cover the first $100.00 of damaged goods without any insurance being bought.

HInk
Old 07-26-2002, 10:39 PM

heh, UPS insurance...good luck collecting.
I have been in internet sales for many years and have had to file claims on items shipped to me, under nearly the same circumstances. Sender says it was sent out perfect, it arrives broken.
First thing UPS wants is to see the packaging. They will look at the outside and see if there is visible damage. If there is nothing on the box that would indicate damage sufficient to tear up those speakers, they will not pay. If there IS damage to the box, the next thing they will look at is your packaging material. If they admit the box was damaged in transit, they will then want to know why you didn't pack the items such that transit damage would not be an issue. They place the blame squarely on you. You may be able to get your $100 on this, you may not.
But that's just my personal experience in the matter. Ignore it if you feel it is "bad advice".
Old 07-26-2002, 10:45 PM

thats why i am asking if most of u say forget bout this dude that is what i am going to do.. i will wait and see if anything comes of it.. if nothing does he obviously was bluffing. i have done quite a few sales and never onec had any problems till this it is quite discouraging that this has happened i just plain dont wana deal with *******s.. and i dont wana get in trouble for someone trying to rip me off again thanks for all the opinions