LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Torx Bolt On Cam Retainer Plate?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 12:45 AM

Angry Torx Bolt On Cam Retainer Plate?

I searched for this but didn't finda anything. So I'm doing a cam swap and i get to the part where i have to take the torx bolts out. I got the one on the driver sid out but i really had to wrench on it. Then i go to the passenger side start wrench on it and man it was really on there. So i pushed a little hard a snap the torx bit just crumbled and the bolt didn't even budge. So i looked at the bolt it didn't look to messed up, still doable. So I didn't have another torx bit the same size so i had to drive to the nearst kragen which is like 20mins away, because nothing else is open at 7pm. So i finally get the new bit. Stick it in there and start wrenchen, then the torx bit just twists. So not only is the torx bit screwed now so is the bolt. I quess thats what you get for buying Power Built instead of Craftsman. So now i'm like what am i going to do? So i decide to try to pound a socket on there that doesn't work and that with an impact hammer. Then I try to pound an allen in there that doesn't work. So finally we are down to the last resort, grind the head off. So i cover everything up and start to get my grind on . My thought is that the pressure is all on the head so if i grind it off and the rest of the bolt should unscrew(i have had past experience with thins doing it on my fly wheel bolts and it totally worked). So i get the head grinded off and the plate comes off. Now for the test will it come off? NOPE, the sucker stuck on there like a champ. So after all this i was so P_SSED OFF that I decided to call it a day. So tomorrow I'm going to try getting vise grips to get ahold of it and see what happens or take a hex saw and cut i line in there and get a flat head on there. If that doesn't work i will have to hire someone to come out and weld a nut on there or something. So heres the question, can i change the **** of crap torx bolt out for a 6 point bolt without having clearence issuses and if not where can i get another on of these. Can i go to Napa and get one or do i have to go to the dealer and pay $30 for a bolt that costs .05 cents to make?
Old 10-04-2004, 12:51 AM

Re: Torx Bolt On Cam Retainer Plate?

I can't comment on putting a hex bolt in there. I'm just wondering why you didn't try vice grips on the head of the torx bolt to begin with. Thats what i did when i was pulling my motor apart and the bolt rounded out. I wouldn't risk getting metal shavings in the motor like that with the grinding. I replaced my bolt with an old torx i had laying around from a spare LT1.
Old 10-04-2004, 01:00 AM

just drill it out. I would say use some easy outs but if its in there that tight, you will probably just snap the easy out, and they are so hard to drill threw. Anyways just take a drill bit that is just a tad smaller than the threads and run it in there. And then take the tap of the threads and run it threw to clean it out nicely. Done it a few hundred times myself, although never on something this important.
Old 10-04-2004, 01:06 AM

Yeah that would have been a good idea at the time but when you are so T off its hard to think stairght. Although i doubt any shavings got in there, but if any did i doubt it will cause any harm because they were about the size of a dust partical. And i will be doing the oil a couple times before really getting on it.
Old 10-04-2004, 01:09 AM

Yes I did think about drilling it but i think there is to much risk there. Not going in straight and metal shaving those are quite i bit bigger than grinding shavings those could diffenetly screw something up. Thanks for the comments though.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by lt1_forever
but if any did i doubt it will cause any harm because they were about the size of a dust partical.
Dust can hurt a motor too.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:38 AM

WTF Guys? Drill it out?

Go get a DECENT torx bit and you wont have a single problem
Old 10-04-2004, 09:44 AM

Put some penetrating oil on it. Let it sit for a few hours. Grab it to what you think is tight enough with vice grips, then turn the little adjuster a tad tight. Should take both your hands to grip it and lock it down IMO. Turn out.