LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Stalker Raped my '94 Z28 => UNDER the Hood. What could he have used to clog radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 06:57 AM

Angry Stalker Raped my '94 Z28 => UNDER the Hood. What could he have used to clog radiator?

My Camaro Z28, 6sp LT1 has been experiencing a series of perplexing problems that are in part or entirely due to a psychotic person tampering with the fluids. I did not suspect sabotage at first, but after discovering a good amount of water in the gas tank, I realized it had to be. Additionally, there is a person who has a history of messing with my vehicles and I am certain this was him. He had opportunities when I was gone all day at work. The vehicle was operating normal after my dad tuned it up, (frankly it would take off like a bat out of hell) It was awesome. But then it got progressively worse over a period of about 1-2 months. (coincidentally the problems began not long after he was released from jail.) That’s another topic I don’t want to get into here, but all you need to know is that it was vandalized by someone no question.

My insurance needs proof that it was vandalized and that this is what caused the overheating problem that led to a blown head gasket. The coolant system clearly is not operating as it should. I’m not sure what he could have done or poured into it that would prevent it from flowing.

 So my first question to other LT1 owners is:
What might he have poured into it to create blockage or otherwise prevent the coolant from flowing through the radiator? (It has a new water pump and thermostat) I did find a little bit of a clear rubber substance blocking one small hose. But that is all I’ve discovered so far without taking off the radiator.

Background on Temperature Fluctuation...

Before the water in the tank, there had been occasional fluctuations in the temperature. At first, they were infrequent, and the temp would never reach critical, and oddly releasing the clutch and down shifting would cause it to suddenly return to normal. This went on for weeks. But one night before I knew it the thing was pegged, red-lined at freeway speed. The outside temp that night was 15 degrees, and while I did pull over soon, I probably drove it for too long that way and this likely caused the blown gasket. But again, what was causing the overheating?

That’s the basic background info, any questions? Please let me know if you have experienced a similar problem either from a saboteur or other cause.

Thanks for reading!
Old 01-21-2010, 07:54 AM

He could have simply dropped a penny or a dime in the radiator. Anyone don't believe that just try it.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:59 AM

Sounds like the car might of been low on antifreeze, or the thermostat was in need of being replaced. Was there any sign of tampering with the hood, reason is that it be pretty hard to tamper with the cooling system, unless small holes were made on the hoses. Water in the gas tank could of also attributed to the blown gasket.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:07 AM

Sorry, but you sound paranoid. LT1's have a history of over heating and blowing head gaskets. Also gunk in the rad. is very common. As far as water in the gas tank, it would depend on how much. You do live in one of the wettest areas of the country.
In other works, nothing you've discribed is particularly unusual. And could easily have happened without a third party involved.
A security cam. is a cheap and easy way of proving if some person is at fault.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:27 PM

Let's see, he could have:
Unplugged or broken the fans. I caught a plastic bread wrapper in one of mine and all heck broke loose.
Put a substance into the radiator that would clog the tubes. Only a disassembly of the radiator would find this out.
Put a small slice in a hose, such that the fluid leaked out under pressure.

OTOH, it could be natural occurrences of an old car's cooling system, IDK.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Z28SORR
LT1's have a history of over heating and blowing head gaskets.
I'm not sure if that is entirely true.

-Dustin-
Old 01-21-2010, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Bersaglieri

-Dustin-
^^gonna have to agree with you there..

unplugged the fans unlikely.. you overheated at freeway speeds on a 15 degree night, fans would never turn on anyway.

you are just gonna have to dive in and see what happened. check hoses, waterpump thermostat, everything that relates til you find it. if he tampers with your car that much///might wanna install a buzzer if your car gets hot haha.. last part is a joke.. perhaps a nice alarm atleast
Old 01-21-2010, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Bersaglieri

-Dustin-
+2

1.) Make sure your coolant isn't low. Under higher rpm the water pump will be sloshing around coolant (lots of air bubbles) and when the coolant hits the sensor it will spike it high. Otherwise it reads normal, even though it isn't, since there isn't enough coolant flowing around the sensor to keep the reading consistent.

2.) If it isn't low on coolant and you have a restriction, take it to a shop that will do an acid type flush. This will remove anything stuck in there. Maybe the guys will find something. Honestly I could think of a million way to mess up a car without being too obvious. There is too much speculation on what really happened until you get it looked at by a professional.

3.) Dont drive the car until you figure this out. You can really mess things up driving around a car that over heats.

Last edited by Mikes 1994 z28; 01-21-2010 at 09:33 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:22 PM

LT1's have a history of over heating and blowing head gaskets.
Making a statement like this, its usually good to back it up with proof.... isn't it?
Old 01-22-2010, 12:03 AM

Sometimes thermostats can be put in backwards.Sometimes ,a thermostat may not work at all.(place it in a pan of boiling water to see if it opens and closes ok.).Make sure your hoses are not crimpt.Water in the gas tank can be condensation buildup.(check for the cap being tight.)Hope this helps.And your water recovery system works well as well.)
Old 01-22-2010, 05:27 AM
Administrator

Sometimes people don't install the correct LT1-specific thermostat.

http://shbox.com/1/tstat.jpg
Old 01-22-2010, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by LT1B4C
Making a statement like this, its usually good to back it up with proof.... isn't it?
Yah right! LT1's don't have any over heating problems and they don't have any window motor problems either.
The only motor in the history of GM that has had more over heating and head gasket problems in the VEGA 4 cyl.
The entire forth gen. cooling system is a disaster waiting to happen. Unless the cooling system maintainance is done perfectly the thing is going to over heat and blow a head gasket.
And NO, I'm not going to provide proof. If you want proof do your own research. You can start on this site, compare LT1 and LS1 Tech, then go back and read 6 or 8 car mags. a month from the years 93 through 97, and then you can go pull the TSB's from chevy for the same time period.
GOOD LUCK!
Old 01-22-2010, 12:28 PM

I'm not wanting to argue with you , All LT1 overheating problems I have seen are from something failing or human error . Not by design.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:24 PM

Yah right! LT1's don't have any over heating problems and they don't have any window motor problems either.
The only motor in the history of GM that has had more over heating and head gasket problems in the VEGA 4 cyl.
The entire forth gen. cooling system is a disaster waiting to happen. Unless the cooling system maintainance is done perfectly the thing is going to over heat and blow a head gasket.
And NO, I'm not going to provide proof. If you want proof do your own research. You can start on this site, compare LT1 and LS1 Tech, then go back and read 6 or 8 car mags. a month from the years 93 through 97, and then you can go pull the TSB's from chevy for the same time period.
GOOD LUCK!
If you make a statement like the one you have said, its a good idea to back it up with proof, otherwise what you say is meaningless ......"Yesterday I won $1,000,000,000,000,000 dollars on a scatch off lottery ticket."

"The entire forth gen. cooling system is a disaster waiting to happen." I guess those dumbass GM engineers should have designed it better. My car must be a "freak car" its never had a blown headgasket or overheated.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:58 PM

not to many overheating issues that I'm aware of, i can run mine all day long and beat the **** out of it and she still runs nice and cool. Most of the problems that happen are part failure or improper bleeding techniques perfect maintenance huh I had a water pump leak for O say about 6 months give or take a bit, constantly ran it down to half full never one over heating problem even then and my opti even lived and still does to this day!!

Quick Reply: Stalker Raped my '94 Z28 => UNDER the Hood. What could he have used to clog radiator?