LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Plastic nipple from fuel injector stuck in motor... HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 12:50 PM

Plastic nipple from fuel injector stuck in motor... HELP!

Ok, I went to smog my car about a month ago, and they said that I had aftermarket performance fuel injectors (came on the car when I bought it), and that I would have to get a stock set to make it pass smog.

So I got a used set from a 1994 LT1 (same year), and proceded to install them. When I pulled out the fuel rail I noticed the injectors looked alot different that the stock ones. "Performance injectors":

Name:  FILE0479.png
Views: 1668
Size:  260.0 KB

I also noticed that only 5 of them had the "yellow plastic nipple" on them
I got a flashlight and looked for them in the holes but all I could see was that the holes angle down in the intake.

I was hoping that maybe the guy forgot to install those 3 because they were very hard to get off the old injectors. I put it back together and started it, and now i hear a knock or a clunk about every 3 or 4 seconds.

So I guess those 3 "plastic nipples" are stuck in my motor somewhere causing havoc.
Where would they go? I only ran it for about 30 seconds and didn't rev it at all, Could it have messed anything up?

I really didn't want to pull my intake and heads but looks like I'm kinda screwed.
Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Last edited by cyteone; 01-07-2009 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by cyteone
Ok, I went to smog my car about a month ago, and they said that I had aftermarket performance fuel injectors (came on the car when I bought it), and that I would have to get a stock set to make it pass smog.

So I got a used set from a 1994 LT1 (same year), and proceded to install them. When I pulled out the fuel rail I noticed the injectors looked alot different that the stock ones. "Performance injectors":

I also noticed that only 5 of them had the "yellow plastic nipple" on them
I got a flashlight and looked for them in the holes but all I could see was that the holes angle down in the intake.

I was hoping that maybe the guy forgot to install those 3 because they were very hard to get off the old injectors. I put it back together and started it, and now i hear a knock or a clunk about every 3 or 4 seconds.

So I guess those 3 "plastic nipples" are stuck in my motor somewhere causing havoc.
Where would they go? I only ran it for about 30 seconds and didn't rev it at all, Could it have messed anything up?

I really didn't want to pull my intake and heads but looks like I'm kinda screwed.
Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

i think you should remove the yellow plastic...maybe replace your "O" rings.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:30 PM

Those yellow plastic nipples look like shipping parts that should be removed before the injectors are installed. I also agree with the 0-rings, where are they?
Old 01-07-2009, 03:09 PM

[QUOTE=cyteone;5770633]Ok, I went to smog my car about a month ago, and they said that I had aftermarket performance fuel injectors (came on the car when I bought it), and that I would have to get a stock set to make it pass smog.

that seems like a crock of sh8t to me,our cars are old and they do sell reman. units why does it have to be classified as an"aftermarket performance injector"? are you in the country called california?
chances are the plastic piece has gone through the intake valve by now. as far as the knocking sound that should not occur from a small piece of plastic not saying it couldn't though......personally, i would take it for a nice long drive at different speeds.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:03 PM

Sorry if my post sounds confusing, but basically 3 of those yellow injector nipples fell in to the fuel injector holes. Would that damage anything?

The pic I posted above was of the aftermarket injectors installed on the car when I bought it. They do not have the o-rings on them because I will not be reinstalling them.
The stock replacements I got look just like the ones in userchemical's picture and do not have the yellow nipples.

Last edited by cyteone; 01-07-2009 at 04:07 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:10 PM

[QUOTE=96m6lt1;5770856]

that seems like a crock of sh8t to me,our cars are old and they do sell reman. units why does it have to be classified as an"aftermarket performance injector"? are you in the country called california?
chances are the plastic piece has gone through the intake valve by now. as far as the knocking sound that should not occur from a small piece of plastic not saying it couldn't though......personally, i would take it for a nice long drive at different speeds.

Yes I am in California, but the injectors were definetly different than stock. They have Ford stamped on them

That doesn't mean they are performance injectors, but my car was running way too rich, so I thought maybe they flow more than stock.

I found the egr valve in the back was missing a vacuum line, hooked it up and now it seems to run fine with no knock.
I hope those yellow caps don't hurt anything. I think I will take your advice and take it on a long drive.

Last edited by cyteone; 01-07-2009 at 04:15 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:34 PM

I would pull the intake and get the plastic parts out before I would attempt a long drive. You may even be able to pull the injectors and fish them out of the holes.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Stl94LT1
I would pull the intake and get the plastic parts out before I would attempt a long drive. You may even be able to pull the injectors and fish them out of the holes.

I already ran the car for about 2 minutes, it seems fine...
Do you think the plastic pieces would still be in the intake? It looks like those passages go directly into the heads.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:01 PM

They are probably bouncing around on top of the intake valves.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:48 PM

What the heck is wrong with CA smog shops?

Find another shop. Those guys are idiots. There is no CARB restriction on injectors.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:36 AM

I seriously doubt that you would hear any noise at all from the plastic caps if they were in the engine. I think that is what you are asking.....not sure. The caps are hard as heck to get off....they would not be easy to lose. I had to replace a cracked one on my injectors(I dropped one and cracked the cap). For reference, I got the replacement caps at http://www.injector.com/fuelinjectorsaccessories.php. I got an O-ring replacement kit(Kit part number 1401).

SVO injectors are generally preferred for performance upgrades. They are good. I have 30# SVO's(red top) on my Z.

According to a google search, the blue topped injectors are 24#. This means the rating for our cars the rating would be 25.29# for GM pressures(for the calculation, see Injuneer's post mid page here....https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=584413). Without the PCM being programmed for a 25.29 rate, the car will be running a tad rich.

Your injectors are also missing a plastic ring and o-ring too(see red topped SVO injector)....at the bottom(unless you removed them).

Name:  DSC_6380.jpg
Views: 1317
Size:  4.3 KB

With that, I'd bet that they were installed without the caps.

You need to get the o-rings back on the injectors with the plastic spacers. Without them, you have a serious manifold leak....which will make the car run like crap.

Edit: Re-read your post....sounds like you got the injector problem solved with stockers.

Last edited by ACE1252; 01-09-2009 at 01:35 AM.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:37 AM

Aren't the plastic caps he's refering to called pintales and they are supposed to be there to aid in the spray pattern? All of my SVO's have those on there and when I sent them off to be cleaned and flow tested they replaced them with new ones.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:29 AM
Administrator

The "pintle" is a small rod in the injector, that is moved in and out to open and close the injector. The plastic cap is not the pintle (or "pintale"). Its a cap to protect the end of the injector, and reduce the formation of carbon on the tip of the injector, when it is exposed to the heat from the combustion chamber, when the engine is shut down and an intake valve is open. That is one of the areas where a pintle style injector has more problems than the factory ball/seat injectors, because the moving element (pintle vs; ball) is closer to the tip of the injector.

Anything plastic that fell into the head intake runner, and most likely found its way past the intake valve would have melted and burned up.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
The "pintle" is a small rod in the injector, that is moved in and out to open and close the injector. The plastic cap is not the pintle (or "pintale"). Its a cap to protect the end of the injector, and reduce the formation of carbon on the tip of the injector, when it is exposed to the heat from the combustion chamber, when the engine is shut down and an intake valve is open. That is one of the areas where a pintle style injector has more problems than the factory ball/seat injectors, because the moving element (pintle vs; ball) is closer to the tip of the injector.

Anything plastic that fell into the head intake runner, and most likely found its way past the intake valve would have melted and burned up.
AHHH, thanks for the explination Injuneer, I was hoping you would chime in as I didn't know that.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:02 PM
Administrator

Odd thing is.... the plastic "caps" in the photo above don't appear to have a hole in them.... only a dimple. I'd expect a larger opening.

Quick Reply: Plastic nipple from fuel injector stuck in motor... HELP!