Welcome to Camaro Z28!

Welcome to CamaroZ28.Com, the ultimate Source for Camaro enthusiasts! Here you can join over 90,000 Camaro enthusiasts from around the world discussing all things related to Camaros and more. You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions

To gain full access to our forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in over 40 different forums and search/browse from over 5 million posts.
  • Upload your Camaro details to your Garage
  • Post photos, respond to polls and access other special features
  • Gain access to our free marketplace to buy, sell and trade Camaros, parts and more.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so join our community today today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.


Go Back   CamaroZ28.Com Message Board > 1967-2002 Powertrain Discussion > LT1 Based Engine Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Garage Photos Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Links Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Z28LiveVendor Directory


Reply Post New Thread
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2012, 06:25 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: ORYGUN
Posts: 123
Performance upgrade questions.

I'm looking to get a decent gain in HP from my 96 SS. I dont really feel like digging into the crank for a 383 yet so hopefully some knowlegable fbody folks can point me in the right direction. As of now I have a LT1 with long tube headers, EGR AIR delete, MSD wires, MSD coil, Morosso CAI, 3.73, Cats deleted. I was thinkin Camshaft. I don't have a clue as far as Camshafts go when making good mid range power in my car. What brand? Duration and lift should I go with? Will that require me to do a throttle body and different rocker arms and springs? I really don''t know too much about valve trains. Id also like to keep my stock heads the way they are as for now too. Anyhow, fire away.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on CamaroZ28.com!
__________________
1996 SS M6 Car#120 Optima Red top trunk mounted, slotted drilled rotors, PaceSetter LT, Flowmaster, MSD, Eaton with 3.73s, Weld Draglites in Mickey Thompsons. Needs Paint Job.
SSinister11x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:00 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Tx
Posts: 273
Re: Performance upgrade questions.

You will need to get 1.5 or 1.6 rr for a cam if you want to do it right. I'd call LE or AI for a cam kit that will come with the cam and springs. They will discuss the type of cam and your power goals to make you a custom ground cam for your setup. You may want to find a good tuner in your area that is the most important mod in my opinion. Don't buy a small cam either, as soon as you start to have fun with any cam you will want to go bigger. Get a 52mm TB, that's the biggest you can go with stock intake.

If you just want the mid range power a small cam would to the trick like a LT4 hot cam. This will maybe require you to up the springs and RRs.

I would buy some new lifters if I were you too. You will also need to upgrade your pustrods to to be more durable and or to aid your new lifters.

LS7 lifters are a good stock replacement but they are a different height than the stocks.

The list will go on and on. It will all depend on how deep your pockets are lol.
__________________
96' SS, Forged 9:1 383, jet hot LT,SLP 2 out the left, LCA/RB,PHR, 58mmTB,3:42,24x,Tubular K-member,LE H/C/I, 3500 Circle D, Jakes 4L80e, D1 15#
Jasonz28camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:48 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: ORYGUN
Posts: 123
Re: Performance upgrade questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonz28camaro View Post
You will need to get 1.5 or 1.6 rr for a cam if you want to do it right. I'd call LE or AI for a cam kit that will come with the cam and springs. They will discuss the type of cam and your power goals to make you a custom ground cam for your setup. You may want to find a good tuner in your area that is the most important mod in my opinion. Don't buy a small cam either, as soon as you start to have fun with any cam you will want to go bigger. Get a 52mm TB, that's the biggest you can go with stock intake.

If you just want the mid range power a small cam would to the trick like a LT4 hot cam. This will maybe require you to up the springs and RRs.

I would buy some new lifters if I were you too. You will also need to upgrade your pustrods to to be more durable and or to aid your new lifters.

LS7 lifters are a good stock replacement but they are a different height than the stocks.

The list will go on and on. It will all depend on how deep your pockets are lol.
Thanks for the help man. So a custom cam is better than an off the shelf one? Also, would I be needing bigger injectors and fuel pump? As for the tuning, I was going to be using Solomon LT1 tuning, you send em the PCM and he sends it back, loaded with the tune.
__________________
1996 SS M6 Car#120 Optima Red top trunk mounted, slotted drilled rotors, PaceSetter LT, Flowmaster, MSD, Eaton with 3.73s, Weld Draglites in Mickey Thompsons. Needs Paint Job.
SSinister11x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:45 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Tx
Posts: 273
Re: Performance upgrade questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSinister11x View Post
Thanks for the help man. So a custom cam is better than an off the shelf one? Also, would I be needing bigger injectors and fuel pump? As for the tuning, I was going to be using Solomon LT1 tuning, you send em the PCM and he sends it back, loaded with the tune.
Mail order tunes work great and that's how I started off. Nothing beats a dyno tune though in my opinion.

Custom bring can is the way to go. They are just about the same price as one off the shelf too.
__________________
96' SS, Forged 9:1 383, jet hot LT,SLP 2 out the left, LCA/RB,PHR, 58mmTB,3:42,24x,Tubular K-member,LE H/C/I, 3500 Circle D, Jakes 4L80e, D1 15#
Jasonz28camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:31 AM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: ORYGUN
Posts: 123
Re: Performance upgrade questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonz28camaro View Post
Mail order tunes work great and that's how I started off. Nothing beats a dyno tune though in my opinion.

Custom bring can is the way to go. They are just about the same price as one off the shelf too.
How bout the fueling? Bigger injectors and pump? Is the stock regulator okay? I'm really only trying to make the car close to 400 at flywheel when all said and done.
__________________
1996 SS M6 Car#120 Optima Red top trunk mounted, slotted drilled rotors, PaceSetter LT, Flowmaster, MSD, Eaton with 3.73s, Weld Draglites in Mickey Thompsons. Needs Paint Job.
SSinister11x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:31 AM   #6
Super Moderator
 
Injuneer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1998
Location: Hell was full so they sent me to NJ
Posts: 40,761
Garage
Re: Performance upgrade questions.

If all you are changing is the cam and you are looking for something mild, you won't need larger injectors or fuel pump. When you go over 350HP at the flywheel, you'll need to worry about the injectors.

I don't even attempt to get involved in "what cam" threads. But I would suggest that you continue to look over the many threads on this forum that discuss cam selection, so you can get alternative opinions.
__________________
Fred

94 Formula A3+1: 381ci all-forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / Comp Cams custom solid roller / TH400 + GearVendors OD / Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's / 300-shot N2O / Spohn suspension / 6-pt roll bar with integrated SFC's / AutoMeter instrumentation / MoTeC M48Pro engine management system / a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800LB-FT at the flywheel.
Injuneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:04 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 4,674
Send a message via AIM to 97WS6SCharged
Re: Performance upgrade questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Injuneer View Post
I don't even attempt to get involved in "what cam" threads.
I think everybody has to make that mistake at least once.

My best advice is to go to some local events and find out what you like. Lots of guys have no problems with talking about the cam they chose or why they chose it and many are more than willing to take you for a ride to show off a bit. Same goes for mufflers.
__________________
Chris
97WS6SCharged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:25 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: ORYGUN
Posts: 123
Re: Performance upgrade questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Injuneer View Post
If all you are changing is the cam and you are looking for something mild, you won't need larger injectors or fuel pump. When you go over 350HP at the flywheel, you'll need to worry about the injectors.

I don't even attempt to get involved in "what cam" threads. But I would suggest that you continue to look over the many threads on this forum that discuss cam selection, so you can get alternative opinions.
Okay thank ya. If I want 400 at flywheel and go bigger on the injectors, what would be a good lb injector? Would this require a different fuel pump?
__________________
1996 SS M6 Car#120 Optima Red top trunk mounted, slotted drilled rotors, PaceSetter LT, Flowmaster, MSD, Eaton with 3.73s, Weld Draglites in Mickey Thompsons. Needs Paint Job.
SSinister11x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:08 AM   #9
Registered User
 
mrmint69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Post Falls, Idaho
Posts: 2,650
Re: Performance upgrade questions.

42lb should be a good one for you. You can go bigger and not hurt anything and give you room to grow some, without buying new ones everytime. The injectors don't require more fuel, but the engine might want more than the stock pump feeds. Putting a better fuel pump or inline pump to supply more fuel is a good idea, when you get over 400rwhp. I try to think ahead to my future plans and upgrade accordingly. It won't hurt to make some part a little stronger or upgraded if you plan later to go bigger.
__________________
1994 Z-28 LT1 A4, Supercharger 6 psi, 3.73 Gears, GMPP 1.6 Rockers, LT4 Springs, 42LB Bosch injectors, PCMFORLESS tune, All MSD ignition, Inline fuel pump, SLP sub frames, Panhard Bar, strut bar and rear control arms & LCA relocation, 1LE sway bar, Mid pacesetter's. 3" exhaust to Jegs electric cutout. Nitto NT555R Extreme Drag Radial 275/40R17
mrmint69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:58 AM   #10
Super Moderator
 
Injuneer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1998
Location: Hell was full so they sent me to NJ
Posts: 40,761
Garage
Re: Performance upgrade questions.

400HP at the flywheel (which is what you indicate is all you are looking for) requires 28 #/HR. If you are sure that's your HP limit, 32's will be fine. The stock pump will support 400 HP at the flywheel. The 32's will be good to 450HP at the flywheel.
__________________
Fred

94 Formula A3+1: 381ci all-forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / Comp Cams custom solid roller / TH400 + GearVendors OD / Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's / 300-shot N2O / Spohn suspension / 6-pt roll bar with integrated SFC's / AutoMeter instrumentation / MoTeC M48Pro engine management system / a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800LB-FT at the flywheel.
Injuneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:58 AM
 
Reply Post New Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Copyright © 1996-2013 CamaroZ28.Com. All rights reserved.