LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

need some lt1 help

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 05:15 PM

need some lt1 help

I have a 94 Camaro just swapped a 94 lt1 from am impala as into it. The motor was in my impala and running. I'm using the pcm from the impala that I had tuned by pcm for less which I put into the Camaro. After finding a few issues with the opti and coil I can get the car to fire every time but won't stay running on its own. So I have a few questions. I know the pin outs for the pcm are different but are they different enough to keep the car from running? Also any ideas to keep this biotch running under its own power is much appreciated. No idea is a stupid one.
So:
94 Camaro wire harness
94 impala 383 stroker with pcm for less tuned for impala
Vehicle won't stay running on its own power
Opti, coil, fuel pump all new
And GO
Old 06-06-2014, 08:57 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?
Re: need some lt1 help

Was the 94 an LT1 also or was it a V6 engine? I checked the documents for the pin-outs of both. I did not check everything, but it looks like all the important ones are the same: opti, injectors, ECT, IAT, MAP, MAF, fuel pump relay.
Check for trouble codes. Some of the critical ones won't set the SES lamp.

Last edited by GaryDoug; 06-06-2014 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:08 AM

Ya both cars were lt1 cars. So I changed back to the Camaro stuff meaning pcm, injectors, and maf...... still had the same issue so I opened the throttle a bit more with the set screw and it will idle around 1500 and calm down to around 1000ish but will still stall after it calms down more so I'm thinking now I need to set the tps. Also I do have a code that only comes on a few seconds after i start it but when I jump a and b the fans kick on for diag mode but the light doesn't flash

Last edited by jcroff; 06-07-2014 at 07:12 AM.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:52 AM
Administrator

You can't flash the codes by shorting the pins on 94 or newer. You need a scanner or scan software and a cable.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:43 AM

Well that explains that lol thanks
Old 06-07-2014, 10:47 AM
Administrator

If the 94 Impala PCM is OBD-1 you may be able to use GaryDoug's free Scan9495 software. Or TTS Datamaster.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by jcroff
Ya both cars were lt1 cars. So I changed back to the Camaro stuff meaning pcm, injectors, and maf...... still had the same issue so I opened the throttle a bit more with the set screw and it will idle around 1500 and calm down to around 1000ish but will still stall after it calms down more so I'm thinking now I need to set the tps. Also I do have a code that only comes on a few seconds after i start it but when I jump a and b the fans kick on for diag mode but the light doesn't flash
It's a bad idea to change the throttle stop on a stock TB. The position should not have to be touched. Idle control is not done by the stop, it is done by the PCM and IAC. As you might have figured, adjusting the stop also throws off the TPS reading. Better to get some scan readings so you can figure out what is going on.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:24 AM

Its a 58 mm tb
Old 06-08-2014, 08:44 AM

Its a 58 mm tb
That was not previously indicated (perhaps should have been). 58mm TBs generally have specific setup needs.

Last edited by shoebox; 06-08-2014 at 08:48 AM.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:28 AM

Your right I thought I mentioned that......
Old 06-08-2014, 10:52 AM
Administrator

You've got to simultaneously adjust the RPM, IAC counts and TPS voltage to get them within spec. Do you know what pcmforless set the idle at?

If I read your second post correctly you put the Camaro injectors in the Impala 383. Were they the same size as it was programmed for? It's somewhat confusing but it appears you are now running the 383ci engine with the 94 Camaro PCM. Was the Camaro LT1 also a 383 with a similar cam, heads, etc.?
Old 06-08-2014, 01:30 PM

Im all ****ed up.....I just put the stock Camaro pcm stock injectors and tried to get it to idle which wasn't a great idea but I'm starting to get frustrated........I put the correctly tuned pcm back in with matching injectors (from my impala) I do get a check engine light with this pcm (haven't read the code) the car fires but won't run unless my foot is on the gas (back to square one) I'm thinking about sending out my Camaro pcm for a tune
Old 06-08-2014, 05:46 PM

Im all ****ed up.....I just put the stock Camaro pcm stock injectors and tried to get it to idle which wasn't a great idea but I'm starting to get frustrated........I put the correctly tuned pcm back in with matching injectors (from my impala) I do get a check engine light with this pcm (haven't read the code) the car fires but won't run unless my foot is on the gas (back to square one) I'm thinking about sending out my Camaro pcm for a tune
Take a deep breath. Before you send your PCM off for a retune, stop and evaluate where you are, or I should say, where the car is. Make a list, inj size, motor CID, TB size, cam specs, CR etc.... You will need all of this for someone to tune your PCM properly. First thing should be to scan for codes. After I put my 383 together with a new tune it backfired like crazy and drove even worse. Ended up being a bad MAF. You might have something simple like this too but again, scan for codes and follow that. Dont get frustrated, these cars are ton of fun but certainly are a labor of love.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:34 PM

Thanks I needed a good smack upside the head lol.....this is what I got
383 stroker, stock ported heads, stock ported intake, 236/242 cam, 58mm tb, 42lb green top injector, pcm for less tune from my impala which the motor ran fine in that...
Old 06-09-2014, 01:27 PM

OK, let me make sure I understand. Right now you have the Impala LT1 383 (with the Impala TB, Intake, MAF, inj) right? You also put the Impala OBD-1 PCM (tuned for 383) in the Camro, right?

I would ask other members on one thing, are the PCMs compatible?

Scan for codes and see what you get. Can we assume the Impala engine/parts ran fine?

Quick Reply: need some lt1 help