LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Lt1 engine tapping and squeal coming from behind opti timing Cover junction

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 09:19 PM

Lt1 engine tapping and squeal coming from behind opti timing Cover junction

Please watch the video and let me know if anyone has come Across this . I though at first a lifter had failed but with stethiscope all other parts of engine are normal .
Old 12-30-2016, 12:26 PM

Re: Lt1 engine tapping and squeal coming from behind opti timing Cover junction

pull the belt to see if the noise is still there. If so that eliminates any accessorys causing the noise.

The video we can't hear what you hear as well. If you think it is coming from opti area "maybe" a rotor screw came out. You would need to pull the cap off the opti to confirm though.
Old 12-30-2016, 02:38 PM

I pulled the belt off and it still
Made the same noise I glued the opti rotor on and straggly enough there is no noise coming from the front or sides of opti it's as if there I something right behind it ?cam gear maybe ? That is making a tapping noise . I will try to get the noise to pick up on video thru stethiscope . When I had it all apart for all new seals on timing cover it all looked great . There was a slight tick but it went away when I replaced the belt tensioner . I need to find a way to run the engine without the opti on the cam lol . im going to take off opti and water pump remove all plugs and see if I can get engine to free spin fast enough to hear the tapping . Thank you for the suggestion I dread taking it all apart agian oil pan drop is a pita lol why did they have to run timing cover gasketlike that between oil pan
Old 12-30-2016, 05:46 PM

I can hear the noise...but from this side of the internet the video does not clearly show "where" it is coming from.

You have probed around with a stethoscope and determined it is coming from "behind" the Opti.

Maybe the "bearing" of the Opti is going. You "glued" on the rotor...ah not really the thing to do. Using loc-Tite on the 2 small rotor screws is advised..IDK how you glued it on or if you covered the screws with glue also but if not "maybe" one of the screws is bouncing around in the Opti. That happens and I had one sound like a rod bearing almost when the car was still under new car warranty. It was a opti rotor screw.

Maybe the spline connecting WP & drive gear has no grease in it and has crud in it now. Maybe the wp drive gear bearing is bad.

Since you determined the noise is not one of the accessories and you don't think it is the WP (impeller hitting housing) diving in behind the TC may be the next step. When you pull timing cover check inside of it for any witness marks where something could be making contact

or did you get the hub all the way set so it is against the reluctor gear??

you don't need to take the pan all the way off to get TC off. take out the front few rows of pan bolts and loosen the rest then pull down on the front of the pan until it clears TC. You can re-use the pan gasket if you don't tear it. Clean gasket with acetone and use RTV along the whole front of it on re-assemble

I would make dam sure the noise is not from something else before you dive in and pull timing cover
Old 12-30-2016, 11:52 PM

Sounds like when my cat went south on my old bird.I could here the noise in the engine bay but noises travel funny in these cars.Take a rubber mallet and bang the heck on the cat and see if it sounds all loose inside.If you don't have a cat,please disregard this message.My02.
Old 01-01-2017, 01:19 PM

I super girls the screw threads on rotor and also glued the top of screw onto rotor to make sure there didn't come loose . That's what I meant by glueing . The car is Catless at present . The noise seems to be loudest where the opti and timing cover meet . I am going to remove the water pump and run engine briefly to see if it's possibly that reasonating into the timing cover as it very nears the opti drive as well . I really hope it is either water pump or opti bearing because I just had this all part 7,000 miles ago . It's not they hard but still a pita to take timing cover off and put it all back lol. I will post what I find . It's odd because it is a tap or knocking rattle whatever u want to call is but is also accompanied by a squealing noise that is getting steadily worse every day . I had planned to allow it to get noisier and locate it when it became more obvious. Well it has progressed the past month and now is really obvious . I'm going to tear into it today and share what j found . Thanks for all the input guys .