LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

I want to turn 97 z28 into a street monster

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 11:18 PM

I want to turn 97 z28 into a street monster

Hello all,
I just bought a 97 z28 with 190k.
The body on the car is straight as well as the interior. Motor and tranny seem great too.

What I am wanting to do is build a motor and tranny to put into the car, it is an automatic.
Also a good rear end and suspension.

There are a lot of parts and kits available and everyone of them boasts that they are the best. So now I am here.

I have heard of these motors putting out over 600hp.

I have never build a monster motor before. Where to start.
I have an lt1 and transmission from another 97.

This will be done in a single build from the block up.
Any and all advise on parts/ kit sucess or waste of money would be great.

Let the fun begin!!!!!!!
Thank you

Last edited by adamant1977; 04-16-2014 at 11:23 PM. Reason: adding content
Old 04-17-2014, 07:13 AM
Administrator

Re: I want to turn 97 z28 into a street monster

Are you looking for street use, track, or both?
Old 04-17-2014, 10:25 AM

Mainly as a street car

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk
Old 04-17-2014, 10:34 AM
Administrator

The LT1 can easily make 500HP at the flywheel. 550+HP is possible with a stroker. 600HP at the flywheel is a reach, and would take an exceptional set of heads, a very aggressive cam, resulting in high HP at a very high RPM, and maybe feel weak at street driving RPM.

The above is based on "straight motor". If you want to consider a power adder - supercharger, turbo(s), nitrous - you could take it all the way to 1,200-1,500HP. But the cost grows exponentially with the HP.

Where to start? You need to set a budget, and work the max HP from there. And keep in mind that the HP is useless unless you can get it to the rear wheels, and then to the pavement. For every $2 you spend on the engine, you will have another $1 on the drivetrain, suspension and supporting systems.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:47 AM

Ok, 500hp seems like a respectable number, i would like to build the motor so that if i choose to add a supercharge down the road i won't be starting from scratch again. Is that possible or Is it all or nothing, I do want it to still be street driveable, so what next?
Old 04-17-2014, 01:35 PM
Administrator

You can build a 500 flywheel HP engine fairly low cost. You will need your bottom end rebuilt, given the 190,000 miles. You can use a stock crankshaft, refurbished, stock rods, refurbished (or relatively inexpensive forged rods), and since you would probably have to bore the block 0.020" or 0.030" over, new pistons. For the 500HP build, you can get away with reasonably price hypereutectic pistons.

Then you send your stock LT1 heads and intake to a shop with a high level of LT1 experience, and heve them ported. Then have the shop spec a matching camshaft for the power level/use you are interested in. Supplement the engine with a larger throttle body, larger fuel injectors, long tube headers, and decent valve train components and you are almost there. You will require a PCM tune. You will get pretty close with a mail order tune, or maybe pick up a few extra HP with a dyno tune.

Now you need to upgrade the fuel system (larger pump), the transmission (performance rebuild, high stall converter), replace the rear axle assembly with a 12-bolt, S60 or a 9-inch, with something like a 3.73:1 ring and pinion. Suspension needs to upgraded with an adjustable torque arm, adjustable panhard rod, upgraded rear lower control arms, and rear LCA relocation brackets. Springs and shocks are definitely ready for an upgrade. Subframe connectors strongly recommended.

Probably a few more things I haven't mentioned, but that's it in a nutshell for a reasonably priced 500HP engine.

If you are looking to add forced induction or nitrous in the future, you need to upgrade some of the parts. You will need forged pistons, rings gapped for the power adder, a way to lower the compression ratio if you go forced induction, definitely forged rods and a forged crankshaft. In effect, you will be pre-investing in some of the bottom end parts to allow the power adder in the future.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:57 PM

Any suggestions where to go to get the forged crank, pistons, rods?
Kit for tranny performance rebuild?
What converter and who has them?

Old 04-18-2014, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by adamant1977
Any suggestions where to go to get the forged crank, pistons, rods?
Kit for tranny performance rebuild?
What converter and who has them?
Check with the board sponsors and see what kind of deals they can work.

Keep in mind that a supercharged or turbocharged engine is going to be built very differently from a NA or nitrous engine. Wider ring gaps and lower compression ratios don't make for much fun when you don't have boost under normal circumstances. Depending on your end game expectations there are several other additions which become mandatory as you ramp up the hp.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
You can build a 500 flywheel HP engine fairly low cost. You will need your bottom end rebuilt, given the 190,000 miles. You can use a stock crankshaft, refurbished, stock rods, refurbished (or relatively inexpensive forged rods), and since you would probably have to bore the block 0.020" or 0.030" over, new pistons. For the 500HP build, you can get away with reasonably price hypereutectic pistons.

Then you send your stock LT1 heads and intake to a shop with a high level of LT1 experience, and heve them ported. Then have the shop spec a matching camshaft for the power level/use you are interested in. Supplement the engine with a larger throttle body, larger fuel injectors, long tube headers, and decent valve train components and you are almost there. You will require a PCM tune. You will get pretty close with a mail order tune, or maybe pick up a few extra HP with a dyno tune.

Now you need to upgrade the fuel system (larger pump), the transmission (performance rebuild, high stall converter), replace the rear axle assembly with a 12-bolt, S60 or a 9-inch, with something like a 3.73:1 ring and pinion. Suspension needs to upgraded with an adjustable torque arm, adjustable panhard rod, upgraded rear lower control arms, and rear LCA relocation brackets. Springs and shocks are definitely ready for an upgrade. Subframe connectors strongly recommended.

Probably a few more things I haven't mentioned, but that's it in a nutshell for a reasonably priced 500HP engine.

If you are looking to add forced induction or nitrous in the future, you need to upgrade some of the parts. You will need forged pistons, rings gapped for the power adder, a way to lower the compression ratio if you go forced induction, definitely forged rods and a forged crankshaft. In effect, you will be pre-investing in some of the bottom end parts to allow the power adder in the future.
Best full break down Ive ever seen...

LTXtech.com is my DRUG!
Old 04-18-2014, 11:10 AM

Thanks allot, I think that I am going to stick to a NA setup.
Going to pick up my donar motor this afternoon, and I think I have found a engine shop to do the work

Old 04-27-2014, 03:40 AM

"Horse power" = Dollars...... How fast can you afford to go?