LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

header question

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 07:19 PM

header question

ok so im putting long tube headers on rigt now and i have my stock manafolds unbolted but there is a tube running into the top of the what is it? there isnt a spot for it on the headers. its on both manafolds and is metal then turns into a rubber hose.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:25 PM
Administrator

Re: header question

Sounds like you are describing the AIR connections to the manifolds. Do they look like this (from Shoebox's web page)?

Did youy also discover the corrugated tube for the EGR system that runs from passenger side #8 on the exhaust manifold to the back of the intake manifold?
Old 04-08-2006, 07:44 PM

yes, what am i sapost to do with these since they have no where to go now?
Old 04-08-2006, 08:55 PM

You live in Michigan......Those parts can go in the garbage!!!!
Old 04-08-2006, 09:00 PM

Apparently those parts can go in the garbage but then you gottta get some EGR block offs from Ebay. They go for like $26 shipped.

Get some high temp silicon (Copper colored SIlicon) and silicon those pieces up, bolt them on. It looks a ton better in my humble opinion and it will take care of your EGR tubes and stuff.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:49 PM

You do not need EGR blockoff plates to remove the A.I.R. injection system. Just remove the pump and all related pipes/hoses. You will throw a code until you get a tune and have the A.I.R. system programmed out.

If your headers do not have an EGR outlet on them, then you will need the EGR plates to remove the EGR system and block it off.

Here's a pic of the EGR components, again from Shoebox's Website That EGR Exhaust Gas Feed Pipe bolts into the passenger's side manifold. If your headers do not have provision for this, you'll need to remove it from the intake and block it off. Just like removeing the A.I.R. system, you'll throw a code until you get a tune with the EGR system programmed out.

Thomas.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:20 AM

From the sound of it, the tube he found was the EGR tube on the passenger side. So he will need EGR block offs....BUT if I was mistaken and it was the AIR pump, then no, just unbolt all that crap, follow the lines back to the pump, unbolt that, and then cut the metal lines and yank all that stuff out.

Regardless, I believe you are going to end up doing both since it sounds like you got the full race edition of whatever brand headers you bought and that they do not have any emissions hookups.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by johnny3986
From the sound of it, the tube he found was the EGR tube on the passenger side. So he will need EGR block offs....BUT if I was mistaken and it was the AIR pump, then no, just unbolt all that crap, follow the lines back to the pump, unbolt that, and then cut the metal lines and yank all that stuff out.

Regardless, I believe you are going to end up doing both since it sounds like you got the full race edition of whatever brand headers you bought and that they do not have any emissions hookups.
He asked about the tubes running to both manifolds, and confirmed that's what he meant when I posted the AIR picture. I also asked if he had discovered the EGR riser tube, but he never answered. You info is helpful, in any case.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:15 PM

Need block off plates?

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=470602
Old 08-24-2014, 05:10 PM

This is a reply 8 years in the making, but if you remove the EGR tubing and the A.I.R. system and you throw codes for each, does the car run rough or does it just simply display a code? To clarify, if I were to make these modifications, could I drive the car for a little while until I get the codes tuned out, or will the car operate poorly? Thanks. I ask this because I am considering "race headers" and an off road y pipe.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:02 PM
Administrator

Will not affect the way the engine runs.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:51 PM

Thanks Injuneer!
Old 08-25-2014, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by BrightWhite95
This is a reply 8 years in the making, but if you remove the EGR tubing and the A.I.R. system and you throw codes for each, does the car run rough or does it just simply display a code? To clarify, if I were to make these modifications, could I drive the car for a little while until I get the codes tuned out, or will the car operate poorly? Thanks. I ask this because I am considering "race headers" and an off road y pipe.
Let me know how ur set up is....when i bought my camaro about a month ago it has long tube headers just like the ones you mentioned,also i was reading what you said about the egr etc,mine has all that taken out too,but i wanted to swap my cats and put the y pipe in because td he pipe is just sittin in my seat,and its time to reregister the car ill just put the cats in for the smog test
Old 08-27-2014, 06:57 PM

Right now, I have stock manifolds, y-pipe, and single cat. I also have all factory emissions including EGR and A.I.R. I am on the fence about installing headers right now. If I do it, I want to do it right the first time. Honestly, I don't really think I want long tubes. I think I would like the fit and compatability of mid lengths or maybe shorties. I hear shorties are a waste of money if you are going to do headers, and I can understand why. I also would like to get stainless steel headers so I wouldn't have to deal with rusting issues in the future. As hard of a job as it is to install them, I would hate to have to pull them off a few years down the road because they are rusted so bad. For my essentially stock engine, I think that midlengths and an ORY pipe with my catback would flow just fine. Maybe a year or two down the road after the headers are installed, I would consider doing a mild cam swap.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by BrightWhite95
Right now, I have stock manifolds, y-pipe, and single cat. I also have all factory emissions including EGR and A.I.R. I am on the fence about installing headers right now. If I do it, I want to do it right the first time. Honestly, I don't really think I want long tubes. I think I would like the fit and compatability of mid lengths or maybe shorties. I hear shorties are a waste of money if you are going to do headers, and I can understand why. I also would like to get stainless steel headers so I wouldn't have to deal with rusting issues in the future. As hard of a job as it is to install them, I would hate to have to pull them off a few years down the road because they are rusted so bad. For my essentially stock engine, I think that midlengths and an ORY pipe with my catback would flow just fine. Maybe a year or two down the road after the headers are installed, I would consider doing a mild cam swap.
Thank u for that info,lol just found out my headers are just straight pipes l(long tubes)i didnt see any cats tho,i got a call from the previous owner and he told me that.....im thinking to put the y pipe on Friday and see how the difference is,im actually very happy with this camaro the guy got alot done to it for example the headers whick i always wanted

Quick Reply: header question