LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Engine troubles

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 01:16 AM

Engine troubles

Alright so I have a 96 z28 camaro lt1. And I'm having problems with it starting. See it's getting 5 degrees around my area so problems start to occur. One day I turned the key and the lights and everything else would work but the car wouldn't turn over. You just hear a click and nothing else. I took it to the shop (since I'm a noob when it comes to repairing cars) and they said the control module was fried. They replaced it and bypassed the security on it to make it start. And it ran good for a day. The next day, the car wouldn't start again and it's doing the same thing as it did on the first day. I'm not sure if it's the resistance on the key (I don't think it is because they disabled that feature in the car) or it's the switch system within the gear shift that's stuck (like if it's in drive it won't turn over). Or it could be something else entirely. Any thoughts?
Old 12-18-2016, 03:40 AM

Re: Engine troubles

How is the battery?Can you try another key?Hope this helps.
Old 12-18-2016, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by Fatdog2
How is the battery?Can you try another key?Hope this helps.
Il have to check the battery with napa auto parts. And they would have to order another key which would take like a week but if that's what it takes il look into it. Thanks man.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:26 AM

a tired battery when it gets very cold out (like your 5 degrees) will fail to start the car

very easy to volt test a battery and most auto part stores do it for you...primarily to sell you a new battery but at least you can see if your battery is on its way out (likely)
Old 12-18-2016, 01:43 PM
Administrator

In addition to having the battery checked, check your battery cables for corrosion at the battery terminals and at the starter, and for corroded wire strands.

They replaced the "control module"? Do you mean the PCM? If so.... they almost never go bad.
Old 12-18-2016, 05:44 PM

Something else to try in your situation is to turn the headlights on then try to start the car. If the lights go dim or go out, it is usually a sign of a weak battery, or a bad battery cable connection.

Maybe you could swap another battery from someone temporarily to help you prove the issue. If you are lucky enough to get the car to Autozone, they are able to check the charging circuit besides the battery condition.

I had a car that even though I cleaned the battery cables, it was still a problem. The problem was that the cables were corroded inside where you couldn't see it until I stripped the cables back a ways next to the connector itself. Then you will need new cables unless you are lucky enough to have long enough ones that you can cut off the corroded portion and strip the cable to put a new connector on.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:32 PM

You can check the battery yourself,I did this after watching Chrisfix--How to check a battery with a multimeter--on Utube.Even though you may have 12 volts you may not have enough cranking volts or something.Good watching.I got my multimeter free from Harbor fright and tool and am learning how to use it(from Utube again).It's pretty easy and you can use the multimeter all over the cars electrical system,and check your household batteries as well.Years ago a lady was stranded in a parking lot and her car would not start but she still had lights, so I borrowed an emory board from her and cleaned the terminals on top of the battery and the cable connections with it the car started right up.Previous posts have suggested sometimes the negative cable connected to the block(hope I got this right)can get all rusted and loose connection.Hope this helps.Sorry for the long post.(she was married)