LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

delete 2 injectors to pass emissions???

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 07:51 PM

Question delete 2 injectors to pass emissions???

I saw a guy on here once mention he unplugged 2 fuel injectors to pass emissions..would this work? He claims it did. Id think the unplugged fuel injectors would just allow fuel pumping to them to simply still pass through by other means and cause it to burn the same amount of fuel..right? How would this be possible? My friend just failed three times and has stock motor other than air intake and stuff. Hes got gears, headers, etc..but nothing on the motor is aftermarket other than the coil or something..I think its the MSD coil. I forgot what he had high on testing..maybe the Carbons and H..something lol. Why would he have high emissions on almost all stock motor?? He does have the Loudmouth exhaust but it has the stock cat..could that be malfunctioning?
Besides him trying to pass..I will be attempting to pass emissions very soon to put my car back on the road..however, I also have an aftermarket exhaust (3") and cat and y-pipe..but also alot of upgraded engine components..such as a bigger Cam, 1.6RR, HP Kieth Black forged pistons..etc. I dont have headers though (not yet..no funds). Will I probobly have troubles passing emissions? And does this '2 injector delete' thing really work? What all would be involved in doing it? Can I simply unplug two injectors and go in.then replug them once I pass? With the injectors unplugged..would that cause the pressure to be less so it actually doesnt require more fuel as opposed to what I stated in the beginning of this post? Any help would be much abliged peeps Thanks in advance!
Old 09-21-2004, 09:32 PM

Re: delete 2 injectors to pass emissions???

O2 sensors will see raw oxygen, and dump tons of fuel thinking its super lean..... Now if you could rig something to inject compressed air a few inches after the O2 sensor and before the catylitic converters... Then you may have something.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:26 PM

well thats just it..someone made a post (cant find it) about rigging an air pump before the cat and fooling the emissions place..hence passing. But they had to fab up all kinds of stupid things that in the end..isnt worth it IMO..they had a line under the floorboard going to the cat..and the lever for the air pump was like..under the accelerator. When the emissions guys stepped on the pedal..the air pumped through the floor, into the cat and passed the emissions by forcing all kinds of air in there..The only problem is they had all kinds of fabrications and whos to say the emissions guy wasnt def..not hearing the air pump??
However, some guy dropped in his .02 and mentioned how he passed..all he said was he unplugged two of the fuel injectors and he passed. He never gave any 411 on how or what he did. This is a possiblity, the only problem is the computer like i said..would know somethings up wouldnt it? or atleast keep pumpin the same amount of fuel...? I suppose if the system isnt reading the two injectors...it may reduce the fuel through the lines and lower the pressure automatically? this is why im asking..How to do THIS part..not some other 'add air to the O2s or Cat' or whatever..that was already done.but with way more than necessary work. Thanks for the reply though
Old 09-21-2004, 11:40 PM

Have you considered tuning?

Leaning out the a/f ratio and running it nice and hot would be the two best things. It certainly wouldn't be good on a long term basis or for performance but it would be a great and easy way to get around emissions.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:45 PM

I know my dad did this to his 5.0 at a non test only place and it passed.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by GreenDemon
Have you considered tuning?

Leaning out the a/f ratio and running it nice and hot would be the two best things. It certainly wouldn't be good on a long term basis or for performance but it would be a great and easy way to get around emissions.
This is what i ended up doing becuase i couldn't pass the idle hydrocarbons test since the car runs rich at idle from cam overlap. I simply parked my car at the emissions place and loaded up a slightly leaner open loop tune with the laptop. Once i passed i pulled back into the parking space and loaded my original tune back up. I assume i'll be doing that again next year.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:02 AM

Now that i think about it, i think that guy disconnected 2 injectors and 1 of the oxygen sensors to force it to run open loop.
Old 09-22-2004, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by 1 Nasty Bird
Now that i think about it, i think that guy disconnected 2 injectors and 1 of the oxygen sensors to force it to run open loop.
I was about to say youd have to do this in open loop. Now as long as the techs dont care about the SES light then you might have a chance.
Old 09-22-2004, 02:46 AM

sounds funny but replace the thermostat with a new stock one i have a friend in fl that had spent $3,000 trying to get it to pass and it still did not. i was lying in bed and said oh **** maybe the thermo is not working right and not letting the car get up to temp. he changed it and passed lol you want to get the car upto about 210 220 before you go on
Old 09-22-2004, 03:01 AM

Delete two injectors out of the program and program it so it cant learn a new fuel curve. Unplugging 02s will throw codes
Old 09-28-2004, 05:18 PM

Talking Re: delete 2 injectors to pass emissions???

Thanks for the help Derek!

I failed for the fourth time on Monday. I am going to try the coil next. Thus far I have tried:

1. Cleaned the air filter element
2. Replaced spark plugs with AC's Rapid fire plugs
3. Cleaned injectors
4. Replaced fuel pressure regulator
5. Took out Hypertech Thermomaster chip

The car throws no codes of any kind and My uncle Mike and I tested all the emissions equipment -- it all works. Maybe the cat is going out?

I am going to try the coil first. Derek, do you still have the stock coil or did I bring it home from your house?

Thanks for all the help,

Jmed

Old 09-28-2004, 07:41 PM

do the thermostat its $15 bucks
Old 09-28-2004, 11:41 PM

A new cat will usually do wonders. Even highly modified cars can pass the sniffer portion easily..it's the visual/OBD-II plug-in test that often kills people. Besides the usual plugs/wires/airfilter/basic maintenance stuff, I'd focus on O2 sensors (relatively cheap and a good idea to replace periodically anyways) and a new cat. Cats go out very quickly if the car runs rich or is raced a lot...