LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

code 42

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 06:50 PM
Administrator

Re: code 42

Yes. A t'stat temperature rating is the temperature where it STARTS to open. It will not be FULLY open until ~195-200°
Old 12-27-2014, 06:29 PM

Hey Fred thank you now we have the cooling problem solved turns out he put the wrong t stat in that short one u had in the pic wow lol.car is staying between 180 and 196 heck yea.

But now car is backfiring really bad after warm up,and i got trouble code 36 now,i know that has something to do with the distributor and i heard a lot about the code 36,found out my mechanic put in a AC Delco remanufactured distributor in,and we both agreed at what i wanted a new one,i was right there when he ordered it,and he compared on his ordering that a AC delco remanufactured one was 500, and a new one was 300. I told him get the new one so i dont have to worry of it going bad

Im like why can't he get this car running perfect,always something after another dude,it seems like he doesnt know what he's doing. What kind of good distributors are good ones where there is no backfiring or trouble codes,I dont care the cost i just want my car back im going crazy!!!!
Old 12-27-2014, 06:50 PM

I think reman AC Delco are the only AC Delco optis available. New Delphi optis are still available and are the best bet.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by moparman
I think reman AC Delco are the only AC Delco optis available. New Delphi optis are still available and are the best bet.
ok thank u but does is code 36 referred to the distributor as being bad tho,because im not dealing with this distributor problem code and just want the car to not backfire and engine light to come on
Old 12-29-2014, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Hard to understand the question with the typo's....

DTC 36 indicates a loss of high resolution pulse signal from the optical cam position module in the Opti. Although the factory manual indicates the engine will run fine without it, Gary's testing has shown it can cause problems, including shutting the engine down.

To keep the SES light from coming on, you have to fix the high resolution pulse problem. Whether that will fix the backfiring, I can't say.

Have you checked the Opti harness connector for corrosion or damaged pins?
Old 12-29-2014, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Hard to understand the question with the typo's....

DTC 36 indicates a loss of high resolution pulse signal from the optical cam position module in the Opti. Although the factory manual indicates the engine will run fine without it, Gary's testing has shown it can cause problems, including shutting the engine down.

To keep the SES light from coming on, you have to fix the high resolution pulse problem. Whether that will fix the backfiring, I can't say.

Have you checked the Opti harness connector for corrosion or damaged pins?
Thats what I meant to ask about the dtc 36........before this Dtc came up i had DTC 42,Now that i have this AC Delco rebuild one installed the car sets a DTC 36 after the engine warms up and the backfiring starts as well. No Corrosion or damaged pins......
Old 01-06-2015, 02:11 PM

Still have the code 36......already checked the opti wire harness no damaged or corossion. Was able to get another distributor same one ac delco and the code 36 is still there. Wat else to check for a code 36,I noticed the ignition module i replaced doesnt say GM on it, it is from ac delco,my original ignition module says GM on it,which is the original one.

But doesn't code 42 only set when something is wrong with the ignition module,and the ground wires too?

Also what is causing the backfiring when i accelerate too?
Old 01-06-2015, 04:26 PM
Administrator

As has already been discussed above, it appears DTC 42 can be set by a sudden loss of the high resolution pulse signal from the Opti, according to Gary's testing.

With regard to DTC 36, I can only go by what the 1994 factory manual states. It is set when "40 low resolution pulses occur before any high resolution pulses are detected."

Have you checked the voltage on the high resolution circuit (purple/white wire to pink/black ground wire)? If you don't have the voltage from the PCM, you won't get any high resolution pulses from a healthy Opti.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:11 PM

As has already been discussed above, it appears DTC 42 can be set by a sudden loss of the high resolution pulse signal from the Opti, according to Gary's testing.

With regard to DTC 36, I can only go by what the 1994 factory manual states. It is set when "40 low resolution pulses occur before any high resolution pulses are detected."

Have you checked the voltage on the high resolution circuit (purple/white wire to pink/black ground wire)? If you don't have the voltage from the PCM, you won't get any high resolution pulses from a healthy Opti.
Thank you buddy,found out im getting great voltage from that wire you mentioned. ill give u guys an update on any news from the mechanic
Old 01-07-2015, 09:33 PM

Thank God!!!!!! The car is finally @ home with me, mechanic figured out one of the teeth were bad on the opti causing the dtc 36,no more backfiring and losing power,after i turn the car off and turn it back on, the car fires up right away no cranking excessively. And no ses light,idling is perfect.

Fred have you ever heard a tooth missing on an opti????
Old 01-07-2015, 10:00 PM

I'd like to see that (tooth missing). Post a pic.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:25 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 94Z28LS1toLT1
Thank God!!!!!! The car is finally @ home with me, mechanic figured out one of the teeth were bad on the opti causing the dtc 36,no more backfiring and losing power,after i turn the car off and turn it back on, the car fires up right away no cranking excessively. And no ses light,idling is perfect.

Fred have you ever heard a tooth missing on an opti????
That makes no sense at all. The backfiring and losing power would have been caused by the splined shaft tooth being misaligned due to sloppy assembly. But a misaligned shaft will not cause DTC 36.

I'd strongly suggest that in the future, you try to do these repairs yourself, with our help. I'm convinced that when it comes to the LT1, most "mechanics" couldn't find their a$$ with both hands.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
I'd like to see that (tooth missing). Post a pic.
hey Rob my bust he told me the opti got misaligned,im hella confused oh well but the car is perfect now,just not gonna have him work on my car in the future

That makes no sense at all. The backfiring and losing power would have been caused by the splined shaft tooth being misaligned due to sloppy assembly. But a misaligned shaft will not cause DTC 36.

I'd strongly suggest that in the future, you try to do these repairs yourself, with our help. I'm convinced that when it comes to the LT1, most "mechanics" couldn't find their a$$ with both hands.
Exactly thats what im definitly gonna do next time Fred
Old 01-08-2015, 09:23 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?

There is supposed to be a missing tooth. Do you suppose he doesn't know that?
Old 01-08-2015, 09:37 PM
Administrator

Would certainly explain/confirm the "sloppy assembly".

Quick Reply: code 42