LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Anyone know where to get a new coolant drain plug for an LT1

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 10:40 PM

Anyone know where to get a new coolant drain plug for an LT1

Long time reader but new legit member.

I am currently doing a coolant flush as part of my investigation as to why my 96 Camaro suddenly overheated the other day...

I drained the radiator and pulled the knock sensor and drain plug and flushed everything out really good. Drain plug was struck on pretty good but with time it did come off.

I am ready to put in back to together now and the drain plug is not wanting to go back into the block. It can not seem to find its "bite" in the threads.

The threads on the bolt at the start of the bolt do seem as if they could be slightly worn.

Any one where to get a new one? So far my search results of turned up nothing. There was one post of that had a picture and link of ones from summit but the link was dead and the picture contained no brand or part number to trace elsewhere.

Thanks for your help.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:33 PM

Re: Anyone know where to get a new coolant drain plug for an LT1

If its the knock sensor you're looking for, you can find it at Rockauto.

96 Camaro Knock Sensor

Last edited by timnfxr; 05-29-2014 at 11:37 PM.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:15 AM

Should be a standard 1/4-18 NPT plug. Any parts store will carry them, just make sure you use some thread sealer on the threads.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:00 AM

spike753:
Been there. Another poor design decision by gm. ISTR the motor mount and Y-pipe is somewhat in the way and gm didn't chamfer the hole which makes it difficult to start the pipe thread plug. Couldn't get my fingers in there. I had to use a thin, flexible shaft pick up tool holding the plug at a slight angle to get it started. It took a few minutes and attempts to accomplish. Finished up with a short 1/4" drive socket and wobble extension. Be careful, don't crossthread.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:41 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by spike753

The threads on the bolt at the start of the bolt do seem as if they could be slightly worn.

As noted in a post above, the threads are NPT, which means they are "tapered". The threads on the "start of the bolt" are going to appear to be a smaller diameter.
Old 05-30-2014, 11:32 AM

Thank you for all your help. my knock sensor went on no problem. The drain plug I knew was tapered so you only tighten till its snug I just could not seem to get it to bite to start. It feels like it wanted to start but then slips off. I have tried putting a good amount of pressure on the wrench while turning it without luck. I have not put an impact on it as I do not want to cross thread it. I included a picture so you guys can judge for your self if it is worn. Depending on what opinions are in the condition of my plug I may try to do as 97WS6SCharged suggests and find one that fits the given specs. On my search on auto zone I didn't think to search "pipe" looks like they have an assortment pack. I had previously searched all kinds of other terms and could not find anything.

I also have one of those flex pick up tools. I will give it a shot but my fear is that when it gets to the point where it seems as if it is going to bite (then when you put the wench on it very carefully it slips out of thread) that the pick up tool wont have a good enough grip on the bolt to turn it.

Last edited by spike753; 05-30-2014 at 11:39 AM.
Old 05-30-2014, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Starting threads do look damaged. I would replace.

Just search on "1/4-18 NPT pipe plug"
Old 06-02-2014, 08:44 PM

Just to follow up I ended up putting a new one in and still gave me fits, i was finally able to reach my arm around and some how use my fingers to start it. Never the less it was a big pita.

The flex pick up tool is a great idea and could see how it would work but mine had to much plastic on the end to clear the engine mount bolt. Also not enough bite to keep a good grip on the bolt. But mine is just a harbor fright cheapo

I started filling it up through the thermostat opening and found out that my heater control valve was cracked and leaking it was pretty much split in 2. This was probably what blew in the first place causing my overheating condition in the first place. I have one on order and will post up results in a day or so

Last edited by spike753; 06-02-2014 at 08:51 PM.