Trick flow pushrods
Pistons 30 over
ls7 lifters
Cloyes double roller timing chain
Lloyd Elliot cam
32# injectors
52mm throttle body
mezerie water pump
Tuned for a 200 shot of nitrous, but not yet installed.

I just got finished building the motor and I took this week off work to install everything. Well I got the motor in and it fires up easily, revs nicely, and everything sounds smooth....except if I left off the throttle it will die. It won't idle at all. It seems to be running a bit rich as well. I had the car tuned by PCMforless. The car hasn't thrown any codes yet.

My buddy is suggesting I drill holes in the throttle body blades, is this a good idea or what are some other suggestions???
Old 08-07-2013, 11:03 PM

dont drill holes in the throttle blades. Research the throttle body mod and decide if you want to try it. Is your tb a ported stock or aftermarket tb? I think I have a link of the mod and will post up. Its more about helping split blm. You can reset the iac valve and check the coils in it(shoebox website has that info). Did you have it out(easy to damage them if not careful). Do you have ability to look at live data? If so can look at tps, iac counts, temp sensor and see if any of that is out of normal.

Posted from Camaroz28.com App for Android
Old 08-07-2013, 11:06 PM

If you dont have the ability to look at data get a aldl cable and can use the free software stickied at top of forum.(will also be helpful for tuner to dial you in).

Old 08-07-2013, 11:15 PM

Drilling a TB for 306 Cam? - LS1LT1 Forum : LT1, LS1, Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, Engine Tech Forums There is also a link in one of the posts(I did something very similar to what was done in that link(same principle) and I also drilled a hole like the stock tb has that allows a direct shot into the iac passage of tb(this hole is often enlarged by people running stock and ported stock tb with a reasonable modded motor and eliminates opening the throttle blades and gets better blm.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:31 PM

Re: Lt1 Won't Idle (New motor)

Thanks for your replies. It is a professional products brand new throttle body. I just downloaded the Scan9495 software and ordered a cable. I should have the ability to scan it by the weekend.

I've messed with the IAC valve a little bit but it didn't seem to help much. I will look into what you suggested and post what happens tomorrow. Again, thanks!
Old 08-12-2013, 07:49 PM

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-12-2013, 07:51 PM

I finally was able to scan my car, but now I'm not really seeing anything too alarming???

What would be making it run seemingly rich and not idle/die without throttle
Old 08-12-2013, 08:13 PM

Actually I believe I read that wrong....... My IAC counts are way high. I am going to do the drill mod this week. Any thoughts slick1hunting?

Last edited by bowtieboy95; 08-12-2013 at 08:16 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:06 AM

I do have a couple thoughts. First off the iac counts will start out high when cold and once engine is fully warmed up for a while is when I would begin to look at the count at idle. I also noticed my count is higher when running ac. Which mod do you plan to do as link listed three different things. I made a big mistake because my iac was on its way out and drilled a through hole to large once iac valve was replaced. My suggestion is to get the idle air to go into iac passage of manifold rather than dump in plenum. Then if iac counts are too high would consider the drill hole that is like the stock tb(not in blades its below the blades and dumps into the iac passage). If you do that start with a very small hole and be sure to get all drill debree out. If you drill that hole be certain iac valve is working correct and you have no vacuum leaks because its not easy to make the hole smaller(speaking from my mistake)

Old 08-13-2013, 05:19 AM
Administrator

Are you blaming the IAC counts from a frame of data where the engine isn't running? Can you produce a log in .csv format with the engine actually running, and post it on an ftp site so we can look at it?
Old 08-13-2013, 07:11 AM

The engine was running for about five minutes, but it is hard to keep it running because i have to constantly rev it up and down. I thought that this scan software was going to make a report after the scan but I don't think I checked the datalog box. I will scan it again after work tonight. I'm not familiar with the .csv format but I use FTP sites for 3d and 2d CAD at work so I will look into it at work today

I was going to drill in the lower center of the TB and machine a piece of aluminum at work to fit it so that the opening will sit flush with the IAC passage. This process was show. In one of the links I got to from slick1huntings link in this thread.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:37 AM
Administrator

I'd put a bit more effort into finding the cause, before starting to drill a hole in and hacking up the throttle body.

How good is the valve adjustment? Are you sure the plug wires are in the correct sequence on the Opti? You indicate "The car hasn't thrown any codes yet.", but the data log shows four codes. Why not fix the O2 sensor fault first? It's not going into closed loop, and cannot adjust the A/F ratio based on O2 sensor feedback.

Have you tried temporarily opening up the throttle stop screw to keep it running long enough to do a data log? Have you verified the fuel system pressure?
Old 08-13-2013, 10:07 AM

http://www.ttspowersystems.com/softw...M-EE-setup.exe

Try using Datamaster and uploading a log in .csv format so we can see what it's doing for more than 1 second.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:20 PM

Thanks for the link 97. I will try to tonight. Does anyone know if the SCAN9495 software will do a .csv format??? It is a 95 so it is one of the mix matched years. New style 16 pin plug obd2 with obd1 computer.

injuneer valve adjustment is fine I have no reason to suspect anything wrong there. And yes plug wires are in the correct sequence. Also, if you read this thread you'll see I said it hadn't thrown any codes before I had a chance to scan it. Obviously I can read the code readout and realize there are some in fact thrown. My point being, before scanned, it hadn't triggered the SES light, nor has it post-scan.

I'll try to get a longer running data log tonight, thanks.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:44 PM
Administrator

There are codes that do not turn on the SES light.

Sorry to annoy you with my comments.... I'll leave you alone.

Quick Reply: Lt1 Won't Idle (New motor)