Welcome to Camaro Z28!

Welcome to CamaroZ28.Com, the ultimate Source for Camaro enthusiasts! Here you can join over 90,000 Camaro enthusiasts from around the world discussing all things related to Camaros and more. You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions

To gain full access to our forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in over 40 different forums and search/browse from over 5 million posts.
  • Upload your Camaro details to your Garage
  • Post photos, respond to polls and access other special features
  • Gain access to our free marketplace to buy, sell and trade Camaros, parts and more.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so join our community today today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Go Back   CamaroZ28.Com Message Board > 1967-2002 Powertrain Discussion > LS1 Based Engine Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Reply Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2014, 01:40 PM   #1

1998 Z28 down on power

Working on a 98 Z28 thats stock as far as I can tell. There are only 2 codes P137 and P157, that appear to be the rear O2 sensors. The car has 167,000 miles on the orignal engine and is starting to drop in power compared to a year or two ago. Even has a hick up once in a while while idling but not all the time. Can the codes cause the performane issues or are they only to monitor the cats? What would you do to check or test, replace of whatever?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on CamaroZ28.com!
1994 Z-28 LT1 A4, Supercharger 6 psi, 3.73 Gears, GMPP 1.6 Rockers, LT4 Springs, 42LB Bosch injectors, PCMFORLESS tune, All MSD ignition, Inline fuel pump, SLP sub frames, Panhard Bar, strut bar and rear control arms & LCA relocation, 1LE sway bar, Mid pacesetter's. 3" exhaust to Jegs electric cutout. Nitto NT555R Extreme Drag Radial 275/40R17
mrmint69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:22 PM   #2

Re: 1998 Z28 down on power

Did some searching and found almost everyone said the rear 02 sensors have no affect on the cars performance.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:05 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Garage

The PCM does not take any actions that would affect engine power, when those codes set.

But, the 1998 factory manual indicates the codes could be the result of:
-lean injectors
-fuel contamination
-low fuel pressure
-vacuum or crankcase leaks

Those could affect engine power. I'm not sure why the lean condition wouldn't also show up in the pre-cat sensors, but this is what the manual shows.

Have you checked the fuel pressure? Are the long term fuel trims elevated?

94 Formula A3+1: 381ci all-forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / Comp Cams custom solid roller / TH400 + GearVendors OD / Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's / 300-shot N2O / Spohn suspension / 6-pt roll bar with integrated SFC's / AutoMeter instrumentation / MoTeC M48Pro engine management system / a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800LB-FT at the flywheel.
Injuneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Injuneer View Post
The PCM does not take any actions that would affect engine power, when those codes set.

But, the 1998 factory manual indicates the codes could be the result of:
-lean injectors
-fuel contamination
-low fuel pressure
-vacuum or crankcase leaks

Those could affect engine power. I'm not sure why the lean condition wouldn't also show up in the pre-cat sensors, but this is what the manual shows.

Have you checked the fuel pressure? Are the long term fuel trims elevated?
The car was parked for a year while he was in Afghanistan. So hoping fresh fuel and driving it will help. Will check fuel pressure also. Is it the same way as my LT1, with the schrader valve that can be hooked up to and ran up thru the cowl? so you can monitor while driving.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:09 PM   #5
Premium Member

Garage

It's the same.

I think it's interesting to note that the manual also states that the pcm will set these codes when the car runs out of fuel.
Also, you might want to check to see if the O2 sensors have any extensions attached to fool the pcm into thinking the cats are ok. That might keep the outputs low.

Last edited by GaryDoug; 08-17-2014 at 08:17 PM.
GaryDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:52 PM   #6

Garage

Ran fuel through it and it definitely helped a lot but still has a hic up while idling and at triple digits I smelt rotten eggs. I have a cutout so would that keep the cat codes from tripping? I'm going ahead and trying to replace the cats, I want to find some good high flow ones but don't need to pass emissions so I was also thinking just long tube headers and straight pipe with no cats?

I figured cats wouldn't give it a hic up at idle, only higher rpms? For new injectors what would you recommend? Its up there in mileage and I havn't been kind to her on the street. I did the basics (plugs, wires, intake, cleaned maf, etc) What would be some other maintenance needed at this point in the game? fuel filter, injectors, etc?
Old 08-29-2014, 12:23 PM   #7

How do you clean a MAF :
Old 08-29-2014, 02:45 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikko View Post
How do you clean a MAF :
Click the image to open in full size.

94 Formula A3+1: 381ci all-forged stroker - Callies Stealth, Oliver 5.85 billet rods, BME nitrous pistons / CNC LT4 heads / Comp Cams custom solid roller / TH400 + GearVendors OD / Strange 12-bolt - 4.11's / 300-shot N2O / Spohn suspension / 6-pt roll bar with integrated SFC's / AutoMeter instrumentation / MoTeC M48Pro engine management system / a few other odds 'n ends. 800HP/800LB-FT at the flywheel.
Injuneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:22 AM   #9

Down on power.....
Post 02 code.....
GM 100k mile cats......

When cats break down they plug and the car wont go anywhere plus set codes.
Suprabuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:22 AM

Reply Post New Thread