General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Will not go past 115mph

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 08:27 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by twozs
as stated above . if the car didn't come with "Z" rated tires the speed limiter was set at 115 MPH with i belive it was set at 155 MPH with the Z rated tires . iv'e reached 145 easly @ 4500 RPM. check the tire option list with the 245/50 ZR 16 tires at an additional 225 dolllars (2001 Z28)
Stock programming with the Z-rated tires is 255 MPH... largest number in an 8-bit binary field (with precision of 1 MPH).
Old 02-15-2010, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by cars3
I have z-rated tires on my 2001 ss ( 275/40/ZR17 )
It doesn't matter what's on it now -- the speed governor is set at the factory based on the tires they installed there.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:12 PM

Yes, these are the original tires on the car which only has 14,000 miles on it. Like I said, I've never tested to see if the speed limiter was 126 mph. This is what the dealer told me. I do have a Hypertech power programmer that I bought back in the summer of 2001 from summit. Part #HYP-30025 and I have never used it. I'll take it out of the box and check the speed limiter setting on my car tomorrow. I know if there is one set, it can be changed or even turned off with this programmer.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
It doesn't matter what's on it now -- the speed governor is set at the factory based on the tires they installed there.
Duh, all ss camaros came with z rated tires and the size was 275/40/zr17. It was part of the wu8 package. No if's and's or but's about. This was the only tire available on the ss package. I put the programmer on my car, yeah I know it's like 2am, but any ways the speed limiter is not set to 126mph, but it is set to 124mph with a rev limiter of 6200 rpms. I would like to know the GM publication that says it was set to 255 mph. These cars would never go that fast in a million years!
Old 02-16-2010, 05:18 AM
Administrator

The setting can be read with a programmer like LT1_Edit. I have the original file out of my car, and have reviewed many other files for people over the 15 years I've been involved with these cars - scanning and programming. The speed limiter is NOT set to "255" because the vehicle is capable of 255MPH. It is set there because the speed limiter field MUST have an entry, and 255 is the largest possible number that fits in the field. The field can not be left blank.

The speed limiter for the non Z-rated tires was not the same for all years, and if I remember correctly varied from 108-118MPH over the years.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
The setting can be read with a programmer like LT1_Edit. I have the original file out of my car, and have reviewed many other files for people over the 15 years I've been involved with these cars - scanning and programming. The speed limiter is NOT set to "255" because the vehicle is capable of 255MPH. It is set there because the speed limiter field MUST have an entry, and 255 is the largest possible number that fits in the field. The field can not be left blank.

The speed limiter for the non Z-rated tires was not the same for all years, and if I remember correctly varied from 108-118MPH over the years.
I hope you did not take things the wrong way and think I was in dought about what you had said. That was not my intentions. I'm more of a 3rd gen guy my self with 3 of them. I've only had one 4th gen in my life and that's the only experience I have with them, and I don't know what else to say about my speed limiter. I checked it and it's set to 124mph. Who knows maybe this is something the dealer did when I bought the car? Do you think it's possible the dealer set this?
Old 02-16-2010, 04:02 PM
Administrator

The dealers can alter the stock programming with a Tech-1 or Tech-2.

124MPH corresponds to a "U" tire speed rating, so its possible that someone upgraded the tires, and had the speed limiter adjusted to match. Its possible to change the speed limiter with a hand-held programmer, like the Hypertech, or to change it with LT1_Edit, TunerCat, etc.

Its sort of hard to relate specifically to your car, since you don't have a signature with basic info like year, model, etc. Might want to consider adding a signature.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:46 PM

The dealers can alter the stock programming with a Tech-1 or Tech-2.

124MPH corresponds to a "U" tire speed rating, so its possible that someone upgraded the tires, and had the speed limiter adjusted to match. Its possible to change the speed limiter with a hand-held programmer, like the Hypertech, or to change it with LT1_Edit, TunerCat, etc.

Its sort of hard to relate specifically to your car, since you don't have a signature with basic info like year, model, etc. Might want to consider adding a signature.
Ok, I hate to take away from this tread and ask this question, but how do I set up a signature. Computers and I don't get along very well. We can start a new tread if you want and tell me how to do it. Thanks
Old 02-17-2010, 05:14 AM
Administrator

At the top of every page is a red "task bar". At the far left end of the task bar, left click on "User CP". On the dropdown menu that appears, left click on "Edit Signature". That will take you to a screen where you type the information you want to appear below the solid line it puts in every thread. The signature is added automatically to every post, unless you "unclick" "show your signature" at the bottom of the post screen.

Everything below this line is the "signature".
Old 02-17-2010, 04:51 PM

I can verify that when I hit the limiter (94 Z28) at 104 mph, that the car will shake in a forwards and backwards type of motion. Tires are perfect. That's just the way the limiter works. Driving at 100 mph, it cruises steady as can be.

Of course that limiter disappeared many years ago now. I used the Hypertech to set it at 255 mph as has been recommended.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:12 PM

Ok, I've updated a few things. As you can tell I like my cars stock. Last question, how to I had pictures of my cars to my profile.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:40 PM
Administrator

You can not include pictures in the signature.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator

You can not include pictures in the signature.
But you can include links. Upload your pictures to your image gallery (accessible from your profile page), or to a site like TinyPic.com, and then include links in your sig.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:43 AM

Well thanks guys for all your help. I bought a speedchip programmer, so now I can go as fast I want. Thanks again.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Garytheman111
Well thanks guys for all your help. I bought a speedchip programmer, so now I can go as fast I want. Thanks again.
On the track that's great. But on the highway keep in mind that there are alot of people on the highway. In some other thread someone said about going 145mph in their dad's iroc and shoebox said it was foolish. I agree with shoebox 100%. Keep the speed on the track and not on the streets.

Quick Reply: Will not go past 115mph