General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Quick Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 11:31 PM

Quick Question

I appologize in advanced if this has been asked before but I used the search and didnt find anything.

does a STOCK ls1 camaro have "TRUE" dual exhaust like the mustang? or is it just one muffler with 1 in and 2 out. if its not a true dual exhaust can it be made easily into one?, and is it worth it considering; time, money and powergain

I am also aware that this is a very newB question but Im really new to camaros... I used to have a 99 Mustang GT and my dad owns a 03 Cobra so im familiar with those cars... my main reason for switching is that i really want to mod a car so that it can smoke dads cobra and what better car than a camaro ??? so im looking for a 98-02 ls1 camaro as we speak
Old 08-06-2005, 01:06 AM

Re: Quick Question

Factory is single exhaust (manifolds into a Y-pipe then single back to the muffler and dual out).

True duals are a somewhat common mod...TSP actually sells a true dual exhaust for the F-bodies: www.texas-speed.com under exhaust and rumbler catback systems.

Any good local exhaust shop should be able to fab a true dual system too...just buy the X crossover pipe and whatever mufflers you want then have them do the rest.

I believe most people just run dumps before the axle because running it over the axle isn't quite as easy (will most likely cost a bit more to do also). You'll probably lose a little gorund clearance with duals too (shouldn't be a big deal though)...I guess it depends on whether you want true mufflers (bigger) or something more like bullet mufflers (smaller) though.

Gains are probably not much more than just a 3" Y and catback would give you. True duals do have a different sound to them though...which I would guess is the number one reason why people do it.
Old 08-06-2005, 01:39 AM

Re: Quick Question

Is it needed? In most cases, no. A friend of mine and fellow poster put 550 RWHP through a hooker aerochamber catback (single 3" pipe) and dropped the exhaust and picked up ~5hp on a chassis dyno.

Not all combinations are the same, but in most cases the single exhaust isn't going to hold you back by a gread deal if at all.

I'd look to spend my money else where, and I also wouldn't buy an over-priced bolt-on X-pipe that dumps under the car.

Ben