General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Ouch! What to look at after impact...

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 07:40 PM

Unhappy Ouch! What to look at after impact...

Hey all, I was driving yesterday and hit something that threw me into a skid. I managed to avoid hitting the curb sideways or with the front, but hit the rear driver's side wheel almost sideways. My wife looked for me and said every time I hit a bump, with my donut on, it looks like my rear end "wobbles" (for lack of a better term). Also, my exhaust is never really sitting still like it should. I figure the rearend is somehow damaged since when leaving from a stop there was a wierd sound coming from the rear of the car. Not a "clunk" or a "grind" but kind of in between. Need ideas what to look at that might need attention/replacement.
Old 04-26-2004, 11:59 PM

I'd suggest you have an F-Body friend drop by and compare the 2 side by side. Things to look for would be bent LCA and LCA mounting points, bent PHR and mounting points, bent axle (does the wheel spin "true"), inspect your rotor and brake caliper and is your spring and shock tweaked?
Old 04-27-2004, 09:27 PM

Looks to me like the LCA is tweaked. Shock and spring "seem" straight and with a donut on I didn't see any side to side wheel movement with the car in the air and turning the wheels. It does look like the passenger wheel is about 14" - 1/2" farther out of the wheel-well than the driver's side. Anything else to look for? inner and outer rockers are bad, making the door not close correctly. Broke the plastic panel that covers the canister in the fender. Sounds like the brake pads are dragging on the rotor, the rotor also has a part that appears to have been scraped or something similar. Anything else I can look at?