General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Ok whats wrong with my car...

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 04:50 AM

Ok whats wrong with my car...

Well ive got a 98 Firebird and last night it started to smell real bad like burning oil. So i go home and check the oil, its a little low so i put more in it. Well i got out driving again and this time white smoke appears. Theres smoke everywhere, when im sitting at a stoplight or something its easy to see. So i get home later that night and theres white smoke coming out from the hood and from under the car.

Well i was looking underneath my car earlier today and theres oil EVERYWHERE underneath it, all the way to the back, something ive never seen before when ive been looking at it. Now theres enough oil in the engine, so thats not the problem, but theres just white smoke everywhere. And the car isnt overheating or anything when im driving it. Also it isnt performing any differently or anything, still driving the same, but its just smoking pretty bad now.

The smoke was really bad tonight too, whats wrong with it? Correct me if im wrong, but doesnt white smoke = coolant or something?

Its got 140K on it too so its got a lot of mileage.

Last edited by Skyhawk; 08-07-2005 at 04:53 AM.
Old 08-07-2005, 08:46 AM

Re: Ok whats wrong with my car...

Does it smell like burning oil? Assuming it is oil, is it possible your PCV valve is plugged and it is blowing oil out the dipstick?

The oil has to be coming from somewhere and the smoke is caused when it gets on the exhaust and burns. You'll need to get under the car and check it out really well to find it.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:37 AM

White is coolant, check your overflow bottle to make sure it's full, it's possible coolant blew out of it. Looks for leaks on the radiator hoses and really look around the heads to see if the head gaskets are leaking. With 140k on it theres a good chance of leaks if the parts are still original.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Kataklysm
White is coolant, check your overflow bottle to make sure it's full, it's possible coolant blew out of it. Looks for leaks on the radiator hoses and really look around the heads to see if the head gaskets are leaking. With 140k on it theres a good chance of leaks if the parts are still original.
Yeah, but if the bottom of his car is covered completely in oil, I'd say it is oil on the hot exhaust causing the smoke.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:24 PM

Yeah its the oil burning. Try to find the leak, check your oil filter. ALso make sure its not tranny fluid, seal could have gone out in the tq converter or maybe the lines to the tranny cooler if it has one.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by jchevy
Yeah its the oil burning. Try to find the leak, check your oil filter. ALso make sure its not tranny fluid, seal could have gone out in the tq converter or maybe the lines to the tranny cooler if it has one.
definately, burning ATF causes white smoke