General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Need insight on 96 z28SS purchase

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 01:14 PM

Need insight on 96 z28SS purchase

Im looking into purchasing a 1996 Z28 SS car number 2166 vin#2G1FP22P9T2216467. The dealer is asking $5995. for it and it seems to good to be true. So I was woundering if anyone can tell me any info on this car if they can get it. I'v done the basic searches like KBB and carfax. I would really like to get your guys insight in this camaro. They also stated that the engine got rebuilt by a GMC dealership. Any info is appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Old 06-25-2011, 02:27 PM
Administrator

Re: Need insight on 96 z28SS purchase

How many miles on it? That price might be OK for one with very low miles, unmolested engine and drivetrain, and in excellent condition, but otherwise it's high.

I'd insist on the paperwork for the engine rebuild. The fact that it was done by a "GMC dealership" would be seen by many as a negative. Why did the engine need a rebuild? The LT1's seem impossible to kill, with people on here with high 200K miles on them.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:48 PM

I don't know the miles just yet. I requested it from the dealer but I havn't got a response from them yet. The car is three hours away from me so Im just trying to get as much info about the car from all my resources before I go take a look at it. They also stated they had the receipts for the rebuilt. Im hoping this car is in the up in up. It look real good in the pictures.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:09 PM

http://clients.automanager.com/scrip...Source=Website

heres the pictures from the dealer.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:51 PM

The price seems reasonable for a car with maybe 65k or so on the clock. Really depends on the part of the country though. The 6-8k range is typical here in Ohio for a car with 60-75k miles. For example, my 77k 94 TA was $5k last year, and a 36k 95 Formula is listed at 9k locally at a dealer. I find that most private sellers are asking too much, and the dealers are pricing them reasonably (defying all logic.)

My real concern is the rebuilt engine, as LT1's are damn near bulletproof if maintained and left alone. There are original-paint, never-wrecked, well-maintained, 100% stock LT1 cars available in my area for the price you listed. If the engine has needed a rebuild and is under 100k on the body, I'm willing to bet that you'll find it has sustained body damage as well.

Is this a brand (Ford, GM, Honda, etc.) dealer or some mom & pop joint? I ask because the mom & pop, buy-here-pay-here type places seem to have alot of wrecked and repaired garbage that looks good at first glance, but ends up being overpriced junk.

If you are willing to make the drive, knowing full well the engine has been rebuilt, then you need to look the car over very carefully. You need to be looking for evidence of repaired collision damage, excessive wear of the interior surfaces (as compared to the stated mileage,) etc.

Personal experience would indicate that a rebuild is likely a sign of a car that has been beat to hell, then dolled up to fetch an inflated price, but I could be wrong. The only way to know for sure is to go examine it in person and be extemely rigorous in that examination.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:59 PM

does anybody else find it weird that it has a single exit exhaust? i dont have a lot of experience with lt1 camaros, but i thought they had duals.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:06 AM

I just looked at the pics, and it has most of the right stuff to make it a legit SS. The wheels, however, are not OEM. The correct wheels have more rounded spokes, whereas the ones in the pictures are more square, indicating aftermarket knock-offs. The "two-on-the-left" exhaust, hood, and spoiler appear to be the real deal. I would say this is a true SS, but the rebuilt engine and aftermarket replacement wheels make me think this car has been abused in some way. The AS&M throttle body also seems a bit out of place, but I'll chalk that up to an uninformed owner buying unnecessary parts. Noe of this stuff is necessarily a dealbreaker, but you are gonna have to decide whether or not you want to go see it in person. If you choose to do so, let me know; I'll give you a few things to look for.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by rv93
does anybody else find it weird that it has a single exit exhaust? i dont have a lot of experience with lt1 camaros, but i thought they had duals.
That is the SLP "two-on-the left," which is the correct exhaust on SS and Firehawk cars up to about 97-98. I believe it was actually optional. I've run the catback on all three of my cars.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:22 AM

If anything get the vin number and call SLP. They can verify if its a SLP built SS car.

Awesome looking car, I think you can work the price. Consider this. I just purchased #441 of 967 Black SLP LS1 6-speed cars with 100k on the clock for less then half of that dealers asking price...

I would search private sellers, and see what they have before you go to a stealership.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by JooneJune
If anything get the vin number and call SLP. They can verify if its a SLP built SS car.

Awesome looking car, I think you can work the price. Consider this. I just purchased #441 of 967 Black SLP LS1 6-speed cars with 100k on the clock for less then half of that dealers asking price...

I would search private sellers, and see what they have before you go to a stealership.
This is where some comparison shopping comes into play. There are certainly deals to be found from private sellers, but a good chunk of them have this notion that their pile of sh*t is worth a fortune. I remember seeing a 150k 95 TA listed for almost 7 grand by a private seller, which is an absolute joke. But I agree that there is some negotiation room on that price. I don't see an issue with getting them down to $5k, and maybe lower if he can identify and properly leverage any flaws he finds during an inspection of the car.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:39 AM
Administrator

They've also removed the complete SS air induction ducting and airbox. No problem performance-wise that they substituted the K&N CAI, but it would reduce the value as a "collector" car without having the stock parts in a box in the trunk.

You also indicated that you checked Carfax.... wouldn't that report have included the mileage on the car?

Check the VIN also. I went to this site and entered it, and nothing came up:

http://www.compnine.com/vid.php?vin=2G1FP22P9T2216467

Last edited by Injuneer; 06-26-2011 at 09:52 AM.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:13 PM

Thank you all for all this info. It's helping me so much. I just got off the phone with the dealer and they state that the car has 123,000 miles and the motor has 33,000. At 90,000 miles the owner seen that he had an oil leak and took it in "GMC" told him that he did and one of his valves where bad. So the owner told them to just rebuilt the engine. Thats the story I got from the dealer guy. I also asked him if the car was in any accidents of any sort and he said no it hasnt. I will be going to go look at it next weekend. He told me that a lot of people have been calling for it even people from NY but im just hoping its still there so I can test drive it and get a good look threw it.

What are the key things I should really be looking for once I get to be face to face with this car?

Oh yea I also asked about the vin# and he said that he will email me the vin as soon as he can. He believes thats the right vin # that posted on there website.

Do you guys believe I should go look at this car or keep searching for one that doesnt have so many red flags?
Old 06-26-2011, 09:45 PM

How is this dealer aware of all of this? Was he the guy that took the car in from the orig owner?

I would ask for paperwork on the rebuild. Verify and check the VIN (its easy to put SS parts on a Z28, a vin will clarify). Call SLP in toms river NJ and give them the vin to verify its an SLP built SS.

And don't let him fool you... everyone is always calling and setting appointments to see a car for sale. lol. Its a salesman's rush tactic, so you hurry to get the car.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:46 PM

I like my 97 SS and wouldn't sell it that cheap.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by SMKNIROC
Im looking into purchasing a 1996 Z28 SS car number 2166 vin#2G1FP22P9T2216467. The dealer is asking $5995. for it and it seems to good to be true. So I was woundering if anyone can tell me any info on this car if they can get it. I'v done the basic searches like KBB and carfax. I would really like to get your guys insight in this camaro. They also stated that the engine got rebuilt by a GMC dealership. Any info is appreciated. Thank you in advance!
You should have bought it.
One thing to bear in mind is that mileage readings are relative.I've seen a lot of cars with half that mileage that have twice as much wear that I wouldn't pay half as much for.The original Z28 SS floor mats are even in perfect shape.A lot of the advice here was not good that surely put an unnecessary scare into you.No kids ever owned this car and all of the modifications are logical ones,however removing the stock intake from a collectors point of view was a shame.This car came with all of the SLP options except the car cover,and BTW,the wheels are OEM.
Good luck finding a better deal!

Quick Reply: Need insight on 96 z28SS purchase