General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

multiple codes point to alternator <8 at idle, bad alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 05:10 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?
Re: multiple codes point to alternator <8 at idle, bad alternator?

Those are typical readings. You can see that the voltages at the two points in each case must be very close. So the alternator voltage must be about the same as the battery unless a wire opens. Bad wire (positive or negative) or bad meter reading are the only two choices.

The next time you see the alternator voltage low, repeat the measurements above to see where the problem is.

Last edited by GaryDoug; 01-06-2015 at 05:12 PM.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:50 PM

So basically youre saying the wire is shorting out so much during long idles the alternator can't cycle the juices to the point it triggers the dtc(s) and in turn the timing is reduced and the car is noticeably rougher. Holy ****.

And not to beat a dead horse but could this ruin the alternator?
Old 01-06-2015, 06:15 PM
Administrator

I think what Gary has tried to explain to you is you don't have all those codes because you have low voltage. You have those codes because you are using the Innova scanner, and those are not real codes in your PCM. We have both seen that same code list repeatedly, and when we ask what scanner they are using, the answer is "Innova". They don't work right on an OBD-1 F-Body PCM, even though they are supposed to.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:51 PM
Prominent Member

Originally Posted by Gtpguy
So basically youre saying the wire is shorting out so much during long idles the alternator can't cycle the juices to the point it triggers the dtc(s) and in turn the timing is reduced and the car is noticeably rougher. Holy ****.

And not to beat a dead horse but could this ruin the alternator?
You have quite the imagination. I didn't say any of that ;-)
More likely a wire is opening up, not shorting; but we don't know enough yet to even call that. I am just going on that one 8v reading which may have been in error. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:23 PM

Got it. Wires are bad or I didn't read the voltmeter right. Thanks guys.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:48 AM
Administrator

Further followup on the low voltage code.... DTC 50 = low system voltage, and that isn't even one of the false codes the Innova sets.

Where did you get the info that the low voltage code (DTC 50) causes the timing to be retarded? The factory manual shows the "action taken" for that code as "High idle, and 3rd gear starts. MIL will illuminate."
Old 01-07-2015, 11:28 AM

http://www.mifbody.com/DTCs/DTC%2043.jpg

Just going off of what the actions taken part. The way it runs after the light is triggered made me suspect that it was happening. I'm hopefully getting a reliable lap top soon, so I'll be able to scan whenever I want and not rely on friends with bad computers or innovas.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:40 AM
Administrator

Why do you think you have a knock sensor problem?

Appears you are convinced you actually have the codes that you listed in your first post. Both Gary and I have explained very clearly that you do not have those codes. It is the standard list that pops up when you use an Innova scanner on a 94/95 LT1, and you don't have those codes.

Appears you refuse to listen or believe us.

I give up.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:04 AM
Prominent Member

The results of the first part of my investigation of the Innova 3120d are in, since I just received it from Amazon. At the very first read of my 94 LT1 pcm setup, the Innova reads 9 trouble codes: 45, 44, 43, 42, 41, 55, 54, 53, and 52 in that order. My Tech2 clone and Scan9495 both show no trouble codes.

The next step will be for me to figure out why this happens and, if possible, suggest a workaround. Stay tuned...
Attached Thumbnails multiple codes point to alternator &lt;8 at idle, bad alternator?-innova3120d-vs-tech2-94lt1-fcar.jpg  
Old 01-10-2015, 01:47 AM

Update below, I got a laptop and scanning software.

Sorry Fred. I've been over stressed in my private life and trying to deduce the car with no understanding of car computers and proper equipment. So I was overanalyzing "what if scenarios". It sucked for me and I apologize. I thought one of those codes (particularly 43) could've been real and causing my car to be down on power. It's not I didn't believe you about the list of innova codes being fake, until I had a laptop and scanning software (which i now have, awesome!!) i had to see with my own eyes and over research and not be too open minded until then. Again, apologies. All is better now.

Update: code 23 and 32. Iat sensor wiring fixed, egr now functional. Codes haven't been set since.

If you guys can give me a 2nd chance now that I have scanning software, can you guys help to find what might be causing my possible power loss?

Last edited by Gtpguy; 01-10-2015 at 11:41 AM.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by GaryDoug
The results of the first part of my investigation of the Innova 3120d are in, since I just received it from Amazon. At the very first read of my 94 LT1 pcm setup, the Innova reads 9 trouble codes: 45, 44, 43, 42, 41, 55, 54, 53, and 52 in that order. My Tech2 clone and Scan9495 both show no trouble codes.

The next step will be for me to figure out why this happens and, if possible, suggest a workaround. Stay tuned...
You should keep your results/fix secret until you first sell them to Innova.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:00 AM
Prominent Member

I'm not the best person for this kind of analysis, but sure I'll try.

Are you running scan9495 or some other program? Can you run a data-log? Then post the file somewhere we can download it, like filedrop or mediafire, etc.. Then post a link. Otherwise, you can email it to me at scan9495@gmail.com and I will post it.
Try to drive the car so as to recreate the problem while datalogging. You can let the data-logging run for a long time if that is easier.

By the way, I further investigated the Innova 3120d codes issue. I did find the reason for the errors (it's using a different vehicle than selected), but as yet cannot find a very useful workaround.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:02 AM
Prominent Member

Originally Posted by shoebox
You should keep your results/fix secret until you first sell them to Innova.
Ooops, too late: Innova 3120d OBD1/OBD2 scanner - review - Firebird Nation

No fix yet however....
Old 01-10-2015, 09:47 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Gtpguy
Update: code 23 and 42. Iat sensor wiring fixed, egr now functional. Codes haven't been set since.
DTC 42 is for the ignition control module, not EGR.

http://shbox.com/1/Dtcs.htm
Old 01-10-2015, 11:44 AM

Sorry, typo, meant code 32.

I have freescan, will that work? I can data log. Just drive it how I normally drive it? The top end has suffered the most. It feels like a clogged cat, which would be my 2nd with this car and there's a miss right before wot shift. Im certain I can recreate that.

Quick Reply: multiple codes point to alternator <8 at idle, bad alternator?