General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

EVAP system, Vapor canister questions....P1441

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 04:47 PM

EVAP system, Vapor canister questions....P1441

I've had a P1441 for a while now, so I've gotten into it to fix it. I've replaced the EVAP solenoid and vacuum switch. No charcoal in the lines that I can see on the engine side. So I have moved to the canister.

Does the middle line of the canister just go to the atmosphere? I got both of the outer lines on the canister loose and was having trouble on the middle line....and to my horror....the middle line seemed "loose". I pulled on the canister and the line came out attached to nothing.....

Is this normal? As best as I can tell from the factory manual, there does look to be a line that connects to nothing....I'm hoping that is true.

Last edited by ACE1252; 07-05-2009 at 04:53 PM.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:52 PM

I've seen a few posts on questions on how to get the canister out too....here is a couple of pictures of the bracket holding it....

I was able to get my hand behind the canister(on the bottom part of the plastic bracket on the channel) then pull down and towards the front of the car. This released the plastic bracket off the channel without breaking it.

Last edited by ACE1252; 09-17-2009 at 05:12 PM.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:35 PM

Crap. I know what my problem is.....

I have the hoses on my EVAP solenoid reversed...... Ran into an old thread where Injuneer suggested reversed hoses to someone else as an issue. I must have mistakenly reversed them when I put my engine back in the car a couple of months ago.

I still would appreciate it if someone could tell me if that hose on the evap canister simply goes to the atmosphere.

Last edited by ACE1252; 10-21-2009 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Edited some info I had wrong, hoses on EVAP solenoid are seperate on all models...not molded together.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:07 PM

I left one of the hoses off when I replaced the solenoid. Tried to turn off the light, and it came right back on. It didn't whistle or make any typical vacuum noises.

Crossed hoses are probably the problem.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:30 PM
Administrator

The two hoses to the canister both connect to something. Looks like you pulled the one off the purge line that goes to the engine. The middle pipe on the canister is the fresh air inlet. Nothing connects to it. Shoebox has the diagrams.

http://shbox.com/1/evap_system.jpg
Old 07-05-2009, 11:26 PM

Excellent. Thank you gents!

I was hoping the middle one was just an inlet. Just wanted to double check.

Well, since I have it disassembled....I'm going to try and replace all these dry rotted hoses on the canister. They just crumble in my hand.

Last edited by ACE1252; 07-05-2009 at 11:34 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:35 PM

Just to finish this thread out....

I ended up using 1/4" and 5/16" I.D. fuel hose(not the stuff for fuel injection) to replace the dry rotted ones on the car. That stuff is pretty stiff, so I had to put a light coat of oil on the plastic lines and nipples before assembling the lines. It turned out looking really good though.

For the small short one on the pressure control valve and T before you go into the charcoal canister....I had to use standard vacuum line from Autozone(I think it was 3/16" I.D.). I'm going to keep an eye on that one, because I don't know how it will stand up to fuel vapors.

Last edited by ACE1252; 07-07-2009 at 05:04 AM.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:05 PM

Once you swapped the cables to the correct location did that resolve the issue? I am assuming you're not getting the P1441 anymore. I replaced the evap switch, but the code came back, so I am going to replace the evap solenoid next. Hoping I won't have to pull the canister. My car sounds a little weird when accelerating, like its bogged down a little.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:10 PM

Yes, swapping the hoses solved my code issue. I replaced both the switch and solenoid before I realized that I had mistakenly switched the hoses. In the process of dealing with all that, I also replaced all my dry rotted EVAP lines with cut to length fuel line(sizes above).
Old 10-22-2009, 09:55 AM

Are the hoses routed correctly in this diagram? I have replaced both the switch and solenoid now and the hoses, and I am still getting the P1441, every once in awhile when I start the car it will start shaking really bad and sound terrible, usually if I stop it and start it back up its ok. Still feels bogged down and not as powerful as normal. Prior to the P1441 the car seemed fine.

Old 10-22-2009, 04:11 PM

Yes, the diagram is correct.

Your issues seems to be something else besides swapped or bad hoses. Even with my hoses swapped, the car ran perfect. There was nothing to tell me there was a problem except for the computer flagging the P1441 code.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:26 AM

I took the charcoal canister off last night and started disconnecting the hoses and the hose with the EVAP valve that hooks to the gas tank I assume was totally loose and no longer connected to that plastic line. I used a screw clamp to tighten it back down, everything else seemed ok. So far today the car is running much better. The fuel pump has probably been working extra hard to keep the tank pressurized, as all the pressure was probably leaking out. That probably caused it to bog down under load, wasn't getting enough fuel. I dunno just a theory. Thanks for you help.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:12 AM
Administrator

The fuel pump does not pressurize the tank. It only pressurizes the supply line to the tank. Pressure builds in the tank due to the vapor pressure of the fuel, which increases as the fuel heats up. The pressure control valve is there to prevent overpressuring the tank. Because the fuel circulation is a "closed" system - the pump pulls fuel at tank pressure, and the return line dumps fuel to tank pressure, a problem with the pressure control valve isn't going to affect the pump significantly.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:22 AM

Thanks for the clarification. It sounded like a good theory based on the way the car reacted to me reconnecting the evap line to the tank, but I am not a mechanic or engineer so I was just guessing. So far the engine light has stayed off, so i am keeping my fingers crossed. Damn emissions equipment can be a pain!
Old 11-09-2009, 12:12 PM

Another update. Light continued to comeback on, so I ended up replacing the charcoal canister and the evap valve. Driven about 45 miles since then and the light has come back on twice. I think I may just give up for now. Might have to eventually take it to a shop.

Quick Reply: EVAP system, Vapor canister questions....P1441