General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Dynomouth

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2004, 11:40 PM

Dynomouth

I was reading up on the Dynomouth system... but it confuses me. If you remove the SLP resonator and put the Dynomax bullet on there, wouldn't it just be easier to just buy the Dynomax and get some pipe bent to the same shape? I would think you'd save $$$ doing it that way, than to buy the Loudmouth catback, remove the resonator and put another piece in it's place?

Am I missing something?
Old 05-16-2004, 12:24 AM

The original Dynomouth setup is actually very inexpensive. The stock pipes in these cars are 2.75", stainless steel and mandrel press bent. Yes you will gain a little more from upgrading to 3" pipes with any catback (including Loudmouth). However the big restriction is found in the muffler. So the idea of Dynomouth is this.

You buy a 12" dynomax bullet race muffler for about $40. You bring it to any muffler shop you like. They cut out the stock muffler and discard it. They then fab a pipe to go where the stock muffler used to be. Now they remove a 12" section of the I-pipe right in front of the rear axel. Then they weld in the 12" bullet muffler you provided.

The place I used charged me $100 for doing this. So I paid a total of $140 for the Dynomouth setup by using the stock pipes and leaving it 2.75" which is no big deal IMO. However I also wanted to give my car a bit of a makeover so I purchased a pair of dual/dual stainless steel tips for $85. So my actual total bill was about $240 because I wanted the different tips (Pontiacs oval tips look like crap IMO).

The sound is awesome. The HP gains are among the highest you can get. The flow numbers are greater then all catbacks except for loudmouth which it ties. The only reason loudmouth edges out this setup is the gain from the 3" pipe upgrade which isn't enough for me to worry about. At least not until I get headers and a cam.

Hope this helped explain it a little. I highly recommend Dynomouth as a great sounding and flowing alternative to expensive catbacks.
Old 05-16-2004, 12:33 PM

3" stainless steel mandrel bent pipe is not as cheap as you would thnk...and some times its hard to find a place that does mandrel bends.
Old 05-16-2004, 01:49 PM

Ya, most people just buy the LM because you get the mandrel bent stainless 3 inch. Some people will actully buy the LM resonator from you after you take it off so its like changing to the dynomax was free. Theres almost no sound difference between the two, just less drone on the dynomouth.
Old 05-16-2004, 10:27 PM

Ok... it all makes sense to me now, thanks!

So basically, the Dynomouth setup is loud as all hell, right? That's sort of what I'm looking for: a deep, loud, aggressive, throaty, ear bleeding rumble.

And for that price...
Old 05-17-2004, 08:25 AM

Originally posted by Grave
Ok... it all makes sense to me now, thanks!

So basically, the Dynomouth setup is loud as all hell, right? That's sort of what I'm looking for: a deep, loud, aggressive, throaty, ear bleeding rumble.

And for that price...
It's a great sound. Of course I still have cats so it's not ear bleeding loud but you will turn heads anytime you go WOT. I'd recommend it. You'll probably love the sound as is like I did but if you need louder you can always gut your cats.

Good Luck
Old 05-17-2004, 11:27 AM

How well would this setup work with a single cat setup...like mine?
Old 05-17-2004, 12:19 PM

Originally posted by SixSpeedShifter
How well would this setup work with a single cat setup...like mine?
It'll work the same and sound even better in a LT1
Old 05-17-2004, 01:03 PM

I am in agreeance with darren there. I spent a total of $ 200 including parts and labor for my dynomouth exhaust except I used an 18" bullet because I plan on adding headers and a different Y-pipe. It sounds great and even Loud As Hell at WOT, and it will sound great on your car. My opinion is this is how the camaro should have sounded.

Charlie
Old 05-17-2004, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by dmnall
I am in agreeance with darren there. I spent a total of $ 200 including parts and labor for my dynomouth exhaust except I used an 18" bullet because I plan on adding headers and a different Y-pipe. It sounds great and even Loud As Hell at WOT, and it will sound great on your car. My opinion is this is how the camaro should have sounded.

Charlie
is the 18" a lot quieter than the normal loudmouth?
my friend has a loudmouth but it's a bit too loud for me and i was thinking about going this route
Old 05-17-2004, 03:42 PM

Would the sound quality improve any if a high-flow cat(s) were installed?

One more thing...

How about going true duals, with one Dynomax bullet muffler on each pipe. How would that sound/perform?

Last edited by Grave; 05-17-2004 at 03:51 PM.
Old 05-17-2004, 03:59 PM

Originally posted by unvc92camarors
my friend has a loudmouth but it's a bit too loud for me and i was thinking about going this route
Well that depends.

LS1 or LT1?

Then Cat (s) or no Cat (s) ?

But regardless it should be a little quieter then loudmouth. Think of it on a scale of 1 to 10 like this. If a Loudmouth is a 10 then a 12" bullet is a 9 and a 18" bullet is an 7.5 to an 8. If your gonna go catless and or with LT headers the 18" may be better. But for any car with a cat or cats in place the 12" is the best way to go.

The 18" bullet will be quieter then a loudmouth but it won't be a night and day difference as far as decibal levels go. But IMO it will be a night and day difference as far as rasp and drone go. It's just a cleaner sound so to speak then the resinator.

The best thing you can do to always keep the tone good, the rasp and drone down and the cops away is to run cats. Even if they are High Flow. I'm gonna be getting Pacesetter LT's soon but I'm gonna run them through Carsound cats to keep my car sounding and smelling good.
Old 05-17-2004, 04:05 PM

Originally posted by Grave
Would the sound quality improve any if a high-flow cat(s) were installed?

One more thing...

How about going true duals, with one Dynomax bullet muffler on each pipe. How would that sound/perform?
Absolutely yes. Cats (stock or High Flow) will make a cleaner sound. The Dynomouth can rasp and drone a bit without cats. Not as bas as the loudmouths resinator but enough for most to notice and be annoyed by it. Cats act like little mufflers as sort of a side affect to thier main purpose. They quiet your car a tad more but also kill a lot of rasp and drone. This is why Loudmouth + LT's + no cats is a dangerous combonation. Way loud, way raspy and will attract every cop in a 2 mile radius

True duals are very often done with the Dynomax bullets. I think from a performance and sound standpoint you couldn't do much better then true duals with LT headers, HF cats and 12" or 18" bullets. I would use 12" bullets if cats are going on and 18" bullets if no cats are present. But most people here who have done true duals have used dynomax bullets (one in each side). Although I have also heard of some Borla mufflers being used as well. But I think they too are bullet style although I'm not 100% sure on that.

Last edited by darrens99formul; 05-17-2004 at 04:12 PM.
Old 05-17-2004, 04:20 PM

Originally posted by unvc92camarors
Dynomouth w/ 12" Bullet is not much quieter then LM but cleaner sounding since the bullet cleans up the raspiness. The 18" is mellower compared to the 12" bullet with Stock Y-pipe, Stock I-pipe, and Stock Cats, however, 3K and above still gets attention. I have been pulled over around 3x with my car and it was not because of loudness *cough* Tinted WIndows and Speeding*cough* but as long as I see it, if you get pulled over for a loud exhaust w/ the DM, you were pulled over for more then a loud exhaust..

Charlie