General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Don't see many 4th gens around...especially V-8's?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 03:44 PM

Re: Don't see many 4th gens around...especially V-8's?

kinda funny hearing about these cars becoming collectibles and such. recently had a meetup with a curb, fell asleep while driving. insurance guy was telling me to come sign a release as it was a 99.9% chance it was going to be totalled (killed all 4 tires and wheels, and the passenger front tire was pushed back a bit.) asked him if he had final word yet, he said no, told him to call me back when he did. called me back about 3 hrs later, said the car is worth 10,300. an 01 ss with 75k on it. i paid that amount 3 yrs ago when i bought it. he and the body shop were both pretty surprised at what it was worth.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:49 PM

Cool Re: Don't see many 4th gens around...especially V-8's?

Being an old guy the 4th gen still seems new to me. The cars are great handlers and goers! Here is some of our history with 4th gens!
I bought my first in 93 and all black 1LE, crank windows zero options and love it! A buddy really wanted it so I sold 1/2 to him. He keeps the car like new and loves it too! My next venture was a white 98 SS 1LE, it is verified by GM Canada and appears to be the only 1LE that was SS'd in 98! Last summer I bought a 94 Z28 no T Tops, automatic pretty loaded cleaned it up and gave it to my son! He likes the car too! About 2 weeks later I found a red 95 Z28, M6, low option coupe that was very clean so I picked it up and am in contact with the original owner. My son then found a white 96 B4C car that the RCMP had, it is an M6, with air power windows and no T Tops so we went for it too. Then on ebay a Blue 1LE came up for sale in Michigan and my son went down and came back with it! We also have 2- 94 parts cars, just incase! I like the 1LE's because they are light and quick and remind me of the late 60's all over again, but will get up to 30mpg on the highway at 65mph with a good exhaust and tune. My wife says if I don't stop buying these things she will have me committed, but I just found out about another 1LE for sale!!? Geez maybe she is right! However,I remember the time when a 67 to 69 Camaro was very cheap even less than the prices today for a 4th gen so I want to be sure I have what I want while the prices are so good!
Old 07-08-2012, 10:08 PM

Cool Re: Don't see many 4th gens around...especially V-8's?

I am another "old guy" and have a 95 Formula convert. with a 6 speed in triple black. Other than the SLP loudmouth it is also near stock with 106k miles. I think it is rare with the 6 speed in a convert. and I can remember when these cars came out. Stock they would easily walk away from any stock Mustang. In it's day the LT1 was unbeatable. I dont see why I should mod mine up when the new ones are well over 400 horses, plan on keeping the Formula stock and either buying a new 1SS around Christmas as driver or if I am lucky I may end up with my brother in law's mother's 97 Camaro SS she bought new and has always been gargared, 50k miles.
They will be collector cars one day. I have started checking the local U-Pull-It junkyard for little parts and pieces in good shape from wrecks to build up my parts supply like I have been doing for many years for my 1967 Thunderbird.
This period is to the 4th gen what the early 80s was to the first gens. Buy 'em now folks, the prices are only going to go up, especially the Firebirds.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by JasonD
Good choice on moving to the 18" wheels. Looks much more fitting. Awesome ride!

Thanks!

I see you have a 5th gen Camaro. How do you like it?
Old 07-10-2012, 07:35 AM

While I still see a lot of fourth gens (East TN here boys so yeah I will still see them) I am starting to see a lot more "less than perfect" ones and a lot more beat up ones.

As far as the poor man's Corvette I don't care what is said I bought mine as a daily driver 12 years ago and only because it was low miles and a decent price. I have put over 90k on mine and I have not spent over $1000 on repairs out side of normal wear and tear, I am sure it still will bury the needle (150 speedo), doesn't burn a drop and still will get 25 mpg at 70 mph, currently sitting at 140,000 all original except a few small items. Still original opti, water pump, fuel pump etc. you know the items that I will expect to go out soon.

I think the key is never put your vehicle away unless at operating temperature never put away cold or cool,, even if I just have to put it from the garage to the street before it goes back in I go out for 15 minutes to bring it up to operating temp and then it goes back into the garage.

Seeing the "rarity" of decent 4th gens especially in decent shape I try to keep my 93 simple with only bolts ons. I get a few compliments here and there yeah I am starting to see some age in the paint but still looks like the car is only about 6 or 8 years old. I think my color gets the most attention.

Even though I do not think my car will be a "collectable" it would kind of cool and I also could throw a bit of egg in my wife's face over the car as she has suggested at least 1/2 dozen times that I should get rid of it as we have moved around quite a bit and over long distances and between Canada and USA. She has not been mean over it and during the first couple of moves was kind of right say 50/50 but I hung on to the car knowing I would be facing college tuition and costs for three kids so I am glad I hung on.

Cheers

Last edited by pearlpurple; 07-10-2012 at 07:37 AM.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:05 AM

I have a 97 ragtop V6 Camaro. I really enjoy it. I got it cheap as it needed some work, but it's coming along nicely. I put some 17" SS rims on it and love how it handles. I thouhgt the V6 would be kind of wimpy, but it moves right out. The 3.08s kill it off the line, so I just found a 3.42 posi disc rear axle out of a 98 I'm going to swap in. That should help quite a bit. The 3.8 has 125K or so on it. When it dies, I'm thinking of swapping in a n LT1 setup or maybe an LS enigne. That would be a ton o' fun!!!
Old 07-11-2012, 06:10 PM

It seems there are a lot of old timers driving these cars but I must admit there aren't many nice ones in the northern NYC suburbs, so Im glad I have two. 95 & 99, both Z's. Great cars!
Old 07-11-2012, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by briggsbuilder
you guys are lucky, over here in los angeles, all u see is the 4 gen,guys with the big ugly rims, and custom (ugly) two tone paint jobs, with butterfly doors

I wish i could see a old man pull up next to me in a fourth gen with a lopey cam.........

ps. to many mustang boys in los angeles california......
If I pulled up to you, you'd see an old man but not a lopey cam.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:31 PM

Location: I was born and raised and reside in Philadelphia, PA.

I miss the 4th gen, all this talk has me wanting one when I have finally moved on and decided I would just stick with the 5th.