General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Car Storage

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 01:19 PM

Question Car Storage

Normally my car is put away for the winter, about 6 month. This time I am being reassigned to a submarine from shore duty and we are deploying for 6 months starting the beginning of May. Odds are I won't be able to take her out this spring or in the fall after returning. That leaves about 18 months of storage.
I have a full tank of gas and it is stabilized with a boat stabilizer good for ethanol, tires are fully inflated, a battery tender will be attached after Christmas (decorations need to be stored), and she is clean with a car cover. What else should I do to her so that she will be in good shape come the spring of 2011? I didn't change the oil but it is Amsoil with about 1000 miles on it. The clutch is bad so that is another reason that I won't be driving her.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:26 PM

Lightbulb

I don't think keeping gas that long is a good idea even with the stabilizer in it.
The only thing I can think of doing is to put it on jack stands on the frame so the springs are not compressed.
Old 12-25-2009, 07:55 AM

The stabilizer is supposed to be good for 2 years. The last time I did long term storage, I got water in the tank since it was almost empty. That broke the gas gauge sending unit.
I'll try to put her up on blocks (jack stands). She is in the garage.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:40 AM

Storing...

I would definitely leave gas in it, but I don't think a full tank. Maybe half and then when you return, you can get some 100 octane or something to fill the rest of the tank up with and run it out. Also, jack stands are a must. I put mine up on blocks on the A arms and axle housing and it was fine for my 15 month deployment. You definitely don't want to leave the tires on the ground though...
Old 02-08-2010, 07:20 PM

Cool

Speaking from experience, I left my car for a year and after I came back home for engine safety I pulled the fuel line @ engine and placed it in a bucket. Turn the key to on (3sec) don't start it, fuel pump will run. Take the key out and re-connect the line and all the crap that was in the lines will come out and not clog the fuel injectors. Also jack stands, lift the car off the ground for rodent issue #1, #2 incase your tire does go down you don't flex it, #3 a battery tender...to keep the battery on safe level. Put a car cover on her as she will be good as new when you return! Good luck!!
Old 02-08-2010, 08:02 PM

She's carbed. I suppose if I disconnect from the carb and turn her over, the mechanical pump will clean the line. I'll try the jack stands, not much room in the garage to lift her. I was thinking about having my 15 year old keep up the tire pressure and move the car in the garage periodically to prevent tire flattening.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:54 AM

Cool

Originally Posted by POS Camaro
She's carbed. I suppose if I disconnect from the carb and turn her over, the mechanical pump will clean the line. I'll try the jack stands, not much room in the garage to lift her. I was thinking about having my 15 year old keep up the tire pressure and move the car in the garage periodically to prevent tire flattening.
You really don't want to start it because of the oil issue, oil will go flat on you in 6 months so unless you have him changing the oil just to move the tires.

Get a set of those cheep stand and just lift it enough fo the tires a barely off the ground and yes its save with carb cars too, right at the carb take it off and flush the system before starting.

Don't forget about the oil change too!
Old 02-12-2010, 09:27 AM

Moving the car consists of muscle power, not engine power. The FUBAR clutch precludes starting her and moving her via the engine.
I have about 300 miles on an AMSOIL oil change. I'll change it when I get back, not too concerned on that.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:15 PM

Cool

Originally Posted by POS Camaro
Moving the car consists of muscle power, not engine power. The FUBAR clutch precludes starting her and moving her via the engine.
I have about 300 miles on an AMSOIL oil change. I'll change it when I get back, not too concerned on that.
Good, well either way good luck and be safe out there!!!