General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

a/c yesterday, none today

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2004, 03:31 PM

a/c yesterday, none today

i recharged my a/c two days ago and it worked fine, now the clutch wont engage to spin up the compressor, i even unplugged the switch to jump the wires.
Old 05-14-2004, 03:40 PM

ok i it does turn on when i jump both the relay and the switch, but not when the relay is in. i know the relay works by testing it through the fog lamps. why would the relay not work if jumping at the relay does?
Old 05-15-2004, 01:06 AM

Check you fuse in the engine bay as well as the relay. My compressor clutch will not engagae with the reg. 20amp fuse, just blows it. It will run, on a 30amp fuse. I assume the the clutch is shorted out. Since I don't want a fire and I don't want to blow the cruise control fuse, everytime I cross a/c settings on the HVAC on my way to the fan settings, I just unplugged the compressor.
Old 05-15-2004, 02:44 AM

i tested around the relay. two spots have power when the key is on acc. either both have power or both dont, i could make just one have power like a relay is supposed to do. as for the other two spots, one of them is a good ground, if i jump power to it the a/c clutch kicks on(it does spin with the engine on). the other spot reads no power or ground when the key is off and a ground that reads less(11ish v compared to other grounds' 12.3-7v) when the key is on, the hvac controls do not seem to affect any of these connections.
Old 05-17-2004, 04:06 PM

how low were you when you added? how much did you put in? what were the pressure readings?

at the AC compressor relay with the key on your should ahve 2 hot feeds and one ground (the out siganl to the compressor) when you start teh car and turn the ac on the other termonal will be grouned from the computer alowing the relay to close and send power to the compressor.

Before you go any further with electrical you need to figure out whats going on with the pressure cause pressure is the fist and for most important thing to consider. too little it will not work, too much it will not work
Old 05-19-2004, 04:57 PM

ok the pressure is at the right spot but i still cant get the compressor to run unless i jump power into the relay. shouldnt it turn on regardless of pressure if you jump the switch on one of the refrigerant lines?

i think the problem is in the relay's ground that is turned on by the pcm. if that part is grounded does that mean that the pcm is trying to turn on the compressor? anyway it only reads about 11v as a basic ground while the other one and any other ground read 12v+.

do i have a problem in the pcm? or maybe the relay box itself?