General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Anyone have pics of their rear mount battery cable routing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 07:49 PM

Anyone have pics of their rear mount battery cable routing?

I'm putting in a rear mount battery kit because one of my turbo's now occupies the space that the battery used to be in. Just would like to see how the cable to the front was routed!

Bill
Old 04-15-2004, 11:35 PM

I can send some pics this weekend. mine is mounted in the center of the rear "trunk". the cables come out of the sides of the trunk. ground side goes to the rear bumper/frame mount, and pos. goes up the pass. side rear frame rail, out to the rocker panel, and back inside the front frame right to the starter. however this is not leagel for the track since I 1)dont have the box sealed/vented and 2) dont have a rear mounted cutoff switch. it wouldnt be hard mounting the switch under the rear bumper though.
here's a tip for ya though. my 95 has the summit kit, and the 2ga. cable isnt really thick enough. some times theres not enough juice to crank the eng. it just clicks. Ive isolated the cable as the problem for sure. my Iroc has 1 ga. welding cable and works perfect. same starter, more base timing, carb'd and still works perfectly. also, the welding cable is alot more flexible due to there being a ton more strands in it. so piece it out seperatly.
Old 04-16-2004, 05:07 PM

Is there any reason to NOT route them inside the car?

I have had mine like that for a year now.

I used the Taylor kit that includes the aluminum box. It was featured in GMHTP but I got mine before they 'advertised' it.

The box is SUPER nice, and everything else is good too. I do have some problems cranking but only if the battery gets discharged by lights or something. I also ran the pos cable to the dist. block, and not the starter. Plus all the stock wires are still under the hood.

With the Taylor kit, plus heavier wires from the dist block to the starter, and dist block to the alternator and it will work absolutly great.
Old 04-16-2004, 06:19 PM

You guys run a separate ground wire? Or just use frame/body ground at battery? Thinking of putting an Optima back there in my 88, figure 2/O wire size is about right myself.
Old 04-16-2004, 08:50 PM

I am running the optima in the back using the BMR bracket. I also bought the cable kit from Jegs. I hope the wire is big enough! I will also upgrade the wire to the ALT as well. I was planning on running the cable to the dist block as well.
Old 04-16-2004, 08:53 PM

I just ran a ground wire from the battery out the box, and to the body (in back). It's only about 2ft long.