General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Anyone fall in love with there hard top?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 11:58 PM

Anyone fall in love with there hard top?

Hey everyone. I just bought a 1996 trans am m6 hardtop. after having a 94 camaro t tops for eight years (currently parting out), the hard top looks apealing to me. I was considering doing a t top conversion from 94 camaro to my 96. But the hardtop just looks too good lol. Anyone else here been down the road that im on now? My hard trans am has damage on the roof. So a t top conversrion would be ideal, but im digging the hard top
Chris
Old 12-13-2011, 07:40 AM

Re: Anyone fall in love with there hard top?

Hard tops are lighter and stiffer- that is why the 1LE's only came that way. There is structural steel along the top of the door openings that isn't there in the t-tops.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:01 AM

Yeah I noticed that when doing a side by side comparison as far as the interior. I just looks better. Also ive seen some fbods that strip the top too. I think that looks cool
Old 12-13-2011, 08:43 AM

I'd like to see a hardtop that was smoked plexi or mirror. That would be pretty cool-
Old 12-13-2011, 09:04 AM

That would look tight. Hey do you know how to post.pictures?
Chris
Old 12-13-2011, 12:19 PM

No, I can't say that I have. I've owned 2 hardtops, and 2 t-top cars. Given the choice (all 4 were purchased used), I'd chose a t-top car every time.

Our cars (speaking about 4th gens) are weak in the middle, regardless of roof type. All sub frame cars are. Ask anyone that has done a t-top conversion, the roof structure is nearly identical. You can thank GM's reuse strategy for that (using the same parts on different models to cut costs).
Old 12-13-2011, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by 6SpdLT1Z
No, I can't say that I have. I've owned 2 hardtops, and 2 t-top cars. Given the choice (all 4 were purchased used), I'd chose a t-top car every time.

Our cars (speaking about 4th gens) are weak in the middle, regardless of roof type. All sub frame cars are. Ask anyone that has done a t-top conversion, the roof structure is nearly identical. You can thank GM's reuse strategy for that (using the same parts on different models to cut costs).
Sorry, only the 1st and 2nd Gen. Camaro's were "sub frame". The 3rd, 4th and 5th Gens. are unibody. They have NO subframes!
Old 12-13-2011, 06:18 PM

When I was looking to purchase a Z28 a few years ago, I had a number of options that I had in mind. A hardtop was one of those options. Of course, the the first Z that I looked at met all of the options that I was looking for except for that it was a T-Top car. I decided to pull the trigger and don't regret it one bit. Sure, I would have loved my car just as much if it were a hardtop Z but definitely enjoy the T-Tops whenever I get a chance