General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Air Pump fuses keep blowing

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 07:41 PM

Air Pump fuses keep blowing

I have a 99 z28 and recentlly the check engine light came on. I went to have it checked and it threw codes 410, 412, and 416. I checked the fuse for the air pump and found it was blown. Replaced it and it blew right away again. any ideas what to do?
I Do need the air pump as I live in Ca and smog is due soon.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Re: Air Pump fuses keep blowing

P0410 = Secondary Air Injection (AIR) System

Code sets when the PCM cycles the AIR pump in closed loop mode, and the O2 sensors on BOTH banks do not respond with the correct (lean) voltage.

= = = = = = =

P0412 = Secondary Air Injection (AIR) Solenoid Relay Control Circuit

Code sets when PCM commands the solenoid (AIR pump integral bypass valve) relay on or off, and the voltage on the system is not correct.... high voltage indicating an open circuit (relay correctly off, or relay incorrectly not turning on), low voltage indicating a functioning circuit if commanded on, indicating a short if not commanded on.

= = = = = = =

P0416 = Does not appear in the 1999 factory manual. Could it possibly have been P0418, which would be the same as P0412, but applying to the relay for the AIR pump, rather than the integral bypass valve.

= = = = = = =

Appears you have an excess current draw on the orange wire from the AIR PUMP fuse to the underhood fuse block #2, which contains the AIR solenoid relay and the AIR pump relay. Could be a shorted relay.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:32 PM

Re: Air Pump fuses keep blowing

Okay thank you for that I will look into it